Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.5” vs 12” touchscreen

Nick

Reaction score
Are the resolution the same? I sat in one with the 12” was so crisp, I actually thought it was a printed label. Didn’t realize the car was already running.

The other part of the story is I’ve had a 2020 Laramie on order for 2 months and will be coming in soon. I ran the VIn and the build showed 8.4, which was NOT what I ordered ugggh. So I can take it (dealer gave $1k lower price) or reorder it and wait another 2 months, $77k Laramie -$12k off.
Look at your build sheet if it says 12 that's what you will get . The window sheet will show 8.4 on one side but on the option side it will show a 12 . I just got my 2020 last week ordered on 1-7 and it arrived oz 3 -11 less then 9 wks . Thought that was pretty quick . I had the 8.4 on my 14 . unless they updated the internals there is no comparison with the 12 . Like nite and day !

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
From all my research. The answers simple with the 12”. The hardware (processor, memory, etc) is maxed out. The device can’t handle any more software/data that’s currently being pushed through it. No more features coming, just glitch smoothing. That’s why ram (FCA) is going to a fully new android system starting in my 2021 much more expansion capability on the 12”.
I tried switching my ordered ram from the 12” to the 8.4” but the truck was to late in the order process. The 12” won’t be bad, and FCA will still try and smooth out the glitches. Just don’t expect any additional features on it. The hardware can handle it. The 2021 12” coming will be like comparing and iPhone 11 next 2 an iPhone 4.
Is there a website or can you post your research findings so I can read about what you’ve said above? I’m interested in knowing more about the tech improvements coming in the years ahead.

Akwagon

Reaction score
Is there a website or can you post your research findings so I can read about what you’ve said above? I’m interested in knowing more about the tech improvements coming in the years ahead.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
the article that @Akwagon linked, shows wireless apple/Android coming to uconnect5. I'm excited for that option.

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
Some things that should be a simple push or turn ends up being multiple pushes, etc.
And not just that. With physical buttons you can find what you need (after getting used to the positions) without taking your eyes off the road. With a touchscreen, since there isn't any physical indication of where the buttons might be, you pretty much have to look at the screen. Having to go deep into menu options just makes it that much more difficult and time consuming.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
wireless android auto for the win!
How does wireless work, same capability as plugging in?
yup same functionality. just wirelessly.

Just to be clear, the new Uconnect 5 systems are expected to have wireless AA. The current Uconnect 4 does not.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Wasn't any choice for me-I don't want GPS.

I find it amusing that the GPS in trucks, meant for towing, cannot adjust routes for the weight, height or length of the rig when towing. So I'd have to use my RV GPS anyway.

I wish other mapping soft could be projected to the screen. but that's another issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I find it amusing vtgat the GPS in trucks, meant for towing, cannot adjust routes for the weight, height or length of the rig when towing. So I'd have to use my RV GPS anyway.

I wish other mapping soft could be projected to the screen. but that's another issue.

I only use Google Maps or Waze via Android Auto and they work with the display.

If the app supports AA, it can be cast to the screen.

There are also adapter boxes (yea it's an added expense) that can mirror mobile devices.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I only use Google Maps or Waze via Android Auto and they work with the display.

If the app supports AA, it can be cast to the screen.

There are also adapter boxes (yea it's an added expense) that can mirror mobile devices.

Google and the CoPilot app do not play well. For RV routing, Google maps and Waze are not capable. Good apps to supplement my RV GPS tho.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Understood. I guess Google is blocking other GPS apps except Waze in AA?

Companies have to pay or contract with Google to be included. CoPilot can be used on GPS enabled tablets. They have an RV version and a trucker version.

Google also has "safety features", like prevent movies from being displayed on the screen while in motion.

Users who are viewing this thread