Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6th gear lockout when towing or let it go?

Reaction score
2021 Ram SRW 6.7 68RFE with 3.73…what’s everyone doing? Let it run in 6th down a flat interstate between 62-65 mph or lock out 6th? I understand this answer will depend on terrain but I’m specifically asking about flat interstate or highway driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tolym

Reaction score
2021 Ram SRW 6.7 68RFE with 3.73…what’s everyone doing? Let it run in 6th down a flat interstate between 62-65 mph or lock out 6th? I understand this answer will depend on terrain but I’m specifically asking about flat interstate or highway driving.

If your speed is 62-65 then definitely lock out the 6th gear. Keep it at its sweet spot 1700+- rpm. It won’t lug, safer for your transmission and I bet your MPGs won’t take much of a hit.
That’s my opinion.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd probably lock it out and run it in the 1800-2000RPM band if pulling.

I have slightly larger than stock tires but haven't really noticed any mileage difference (HO/Aisin) running 70MPH pulling 16K. It's ~1600 RPM in 6th or just under 2000RPM in 5th. It does feel better if I run up a little rise in 5th and certainly doesn't change gears as much. The only time it will even drop out of 5th then is a hard pull up a 6-7% grade.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input…first diesel truck and only pulled a short trip one time recently! Thanks again

Will_T

Reaction score
I lock out 6th and have not noticed any difference in MPG. Interesting that all the temps run a little cooler too at those 17 to 1900 RPMs vs. lower. Around town I have even started to sometimes lock out 5th. Sometimes in town if I don't it will shift into 5th at about 40 mph and the RPMs then can be down close to 1,100 or 1,200.

Firebird

Reaction score
I didn’t lock 6th out, and noticed that at 65, I seemed to stay at 1500 rpm’s

Reaction score
I didn’t lock 6th out, and noticed that at 65, I seemed to stay at 1500 rpm’s

I locked it out part of the trip and then didn’t the other…I was just looking for opinions. Thanks!

Diesel42

Reaction score
One of the very few disappointments I have (21 3500 Laramie LWB H.O. Aisen) is with all the great gauges to monitor they didn't offer a pyrometer!?
Baffles me as to why they would forget if not the absolute most important gauge to monitor. Years past, this was what was used to shift. This would be very helpful and telling for the OP's question as to when to shift. You can monitor the instant mpg's along with rpm, but lugging can really be defined by exhaust gas temps. RPM isn't necessarily directly related to rpm. EGT's don't lie. A higher rpm can result in better fuel economy. Normally we want to get into the highest gear asap, while keeping egt's low=best mpg. Understanding the relationship between our engines torgue curve, rpm's, and speedo makes a huge difference. I have noticed with these newer Cummins engines(whether standard or H.O.) they build a ton of torque at low rpm. So it can be difficult to relalize when we are lugging. Our trannies computers do alot of this now(unlike the old days) so I would offer to the OP to pay attention to the trans downshifting then upshifting. If it's doing that, pull it down agear until it stays. Searc shifting back and forth equls heat. We do have both engine and trans temp gauges which is super helpful in our driving habits, but I wish Ram would have included a pyro along with the mix. If your lugging, that pryo will be high revealing wasteful unburn fuel, high temps, and underpowing/taxing drivetrain components. Hope this makes sense. Great question btw.

Will_T

Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation. I did not understand exactly why, but I did notice that if I am at highway speeds in 6th gear at approx. 1300 rpm and lock out 6th gear to run in 5th, rpm jumps to 17 or 1800 and I see my EGTs drop immediately. I have a Banks iDash so I am able to monitor a few different things that the Ram dash gauges don't show. I love the iDash. I run 8 different gauges on one screen, including the ones I feel most helpful to me at least: EGT1, EGT3, Regen "On/Off", Current Gear, and Torque Converter Lock. The other 3 spaces I vary as I have not yet settled on which ones I like best or need most for those spots. The only thing about the Banks I would critique is that there are a few items like DEF Concentration and DEF dosing (how much is being injected) that the Ram keeps track of but that Banks has not programmed a parameter for. They need to add in more parameters to the iDash to match more of what is available from the Ram computer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the very few disappointments I have (21 3500 Laramie LWB H.O. Aisen) is with all the great gauges to monitor they didn't offer a pyrometer!?
Baffles me as to why they would forget if not the absolute most important gauge to monitor. Years past, this was what was used to shift. This would be very helpful and telling for the OP's question as to when to shift. You can monitor the instant mpg's along with rpm, but lugging can really be defined by exhaust gas temps. RPM isn't necessarily directly related to rpm. EGT's don't lie. A higher rpm can result in better fuel economy. Normally we want to get into the highest gear asap, while keeping egt's low=best mpg. Understanding the relationship between our engines torgue curve, rpm's, and speedo makes a huge difference. I have noticed with these newer Cummins engines(whether standard or H.O.) they build a ton of torque at low rpm. So it can be difficult to relalize when we are lugging. Our trannies computers do alot of this now(unlike the old days) so I would offer to the OP to pay attention to the trans downshifting then upshifting. If it's doing that, pull it down agear until it stays. Searc shifting back and forth equls heat. We do have both engine and trans temp gauges which is super helpful in our driving habits, but I wish Ram would have included a pyro along with the mix. If your lugging, that pryo will be high revealing wasteful unburn fuel, high temps, and underpowing/taxing drivetrain components. Hope this makes sense. Great question btw.

There are 5 EGT outputs available.

:EGT: DOC Inlet
:EGT: DOC Outlet
:EGT: DPF Outlet
:EGT: Cat Conv
:EGT: Cat Conv Out

:Turbo: Compressor Inlet Temp

Diesel42

Reaction score

Are you saying these are available stock? If so , where do I find these as I thought I looked high and low throughout the system?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying these are available stock? If so , where do I find these as I thought I looked high and low throughout the system?

They are available to read with an aftermarket reader app/monitor.

There's a PID file for Torque Pro and it may even already be in the OBDLink app. Edge and Banks offer monitor devices.

Will_T

Reaction score

Banks lists them only as EGT1 through EGT5. In another thread they are listed how they matched up and I think it is in the same order as your list:
EGT1 - DOC Inlet (After Turbo)
EGT2 - DOC Outlet (DPF Filter Inlet) - Active Regen
EGT3 - DPF Filter Outlet
EGT4 - SRC Mid Band - Passive Regen
EGT5 - SRC Outlet

As I said, when I lock out 6th gear, in addition to increased rpms, both EGT1 and EGT3 temps drop quite a bit so that is what I do now. MPGs stay the same for me.

edit: As an added bonus, by comparing EGT1 and EGT3, (which are normally close to the same), on a gauge like the iDash, you can tell at a glance when your truck is doing a regen. EGT3 will be much higher than EGT1 during the regen.

Reaction score

Thank you for this explanation. Being my first diesel, I’m still learning. On this short trip where I did not lock out 6th gear, it never down shifted to 5th. I did notice the engine sound difference when going through the very slight ups and downs on the interstate as well as the mpg dropping a bit.

I do agree that having the EGT’s would be the ideal scenario. Might have to look into some options that Brutal_HO and Will_T mentioned.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Marion does some good videos, I just have to watch at 1.25x or more often @1.5x speed. :)

A couple takeaways related to info in the video:

Current SO makes peak torque @1700 RPM
Current HO makes peak torque @1800 RPM

Current gearset is 3.73 (or 4.10 available with DRW).

Running your truck at peak torque RPM or as much as 2K higher is better than lower.

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
Marion does some good videos, I just have to watch at 1.25x or more often @1.5x speed. :)
I just watched it too and I would say or 1.75 or 2.0x! :D But he seems a very likeable guy.

Current SO makes peak torque @1700 RPM
Current HO makes peak torque @1800 RPM
Running your truck at peak torque RPM or as much as 2K higher is better than lower.

Thanks, that is good to know as sometimes if cruise control is set at 60-65mph, and 6th is locked out, under certain conditions, I sometimes see 1900 or maybe even a little higher. But if I let it go into 6th, the rpms may drop only to 1500 or 1600 right at that point which is probably OK. But at some point the road will allow the rpms to drop down to 1300 or 1400 and that is where it will spend most of its time. So unless I want to always be using the gear limit paddles, I just leave it in 5th and let it run between 1700 and 2000 depending on the road. Sounds like that is the right approach unless for some reason the rpms get over 2000 while cruising? And really, if it does run at 2000 or so for a little while, it seems like from all this information, that is less of an issue than having it run at 1300 or 1400 for that same time?

I will have to watch it more closely, but unless I am not paying attention and it downshifts on its own, or I have to give it the pedal for some reason, I don't think I really ever see 2000 when towing with cruise on.

Firebird

Reaction score
What about in town driving? Should I lock out 6th? There are times when my truck will lug around at 1000 rpm's. However, I have 3.73 gears, not the older 3.42's in his video. On the hwy, towing at 65, I sit right at 1500 rpm's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread