Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Engine Air Filter Confusion

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just bought this today for $44.95 CA . It sure looks like the real thing, right color, right number, no glue strips. Edit: Purchase at the Chrysler dealer in Brampton Ontario
That is the real thing.
Looks like the 53034051AB filters are becoming more readily available. (Wondering if Mopar signed some sort of exclusivity agreement for whichever manufacturer / factory is making that filter)

unclelala

Reaction score
That is the real thing.
Looks like the 53034051AB filters are becoming more readily available. (Wondering if Mopar signed some sort of exclusivity agreement for whichever manufacturer / factory is making that filter)
I asked the parts guy whats going on with these filters and all he had to say was they were back order and we just got a few in stock this week.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I asked the parts guy whats going on with these filters and all he had to say was they were back order and we just got a few in stock this week.
Yeah, I remember many months ago speaking with my dealership, those 53034051AB’s were showing 500+ on backorder with no available eta. Fast forward to today, I’m seeing them more and more. At the same time, all the aftermarket filters now have glue strips and are coming out of Mexico. Wondering if one of the plants in the USA is churning them out specifically for Mopar now?

Fenderltd

Reaction score
Brand New member here, but I have a 2021 Ram 2500 and I have battled the P0299 code for over 30,000 miles. Its on it's off, dealer reset, and repeat these steps over and over... I have always used the Mopar filters, and never paid attention to if they had glue or not. My order history shows I have always bought the AB filter. Currently have a check engine light on for turbo underboost, I checked the last filter I put in. It's model #53034051AB with two glue strips. I bought another Mopar 53034051ab and this does not have glue strips, so I am really puzzled. The printing on the outside looks different two, but what a cluster just trying to get the proper Air Filter for these trucks. It's worth nothing I bought this last one from Ebay as my local dealer wants $93.27 for the air filter. Link for the one I bought on ebay-

What's strange is it looks like there are spots where the glue should be, but there is no glue...

Attachments

• IMG_7175.JPG
    IMG_7175.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7176.JPG
    IMG_7176.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7177.JPG
    IMG_7177.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 37

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Brand New member here, but I have a 2021 Ram 2500 and I have battled the P0299 code for over 30,000 miles. Its on it's off, dealer reset, and repeat these steps over and over... I have always used the Mopar filters, and never paid attention to if they had glue or not. My order history shows I have always bought the AB filter. Currently have a check engine light on for turbo underboost, I checked the last filter I put in. It's model #53034051AB with two glue strips. I bought another Mopar 53034051ab and this does not have glue strips, so I am really puzzled. The printing on the outside looks different two, but what a cluster just trying to get the proper Air Filter for these trucks. It's worth nothing I bought this last one from Ebay as my local dealer wants $93.27 for the air filter. Link for the one I bought on ebay-

What's strange is it looks like there are spots where the glue should be, but there is no glue...
All of the filters you posted are NOT legitimate Mopar 53034051AB filters.

Those are imitation or “fake” filters that have been popping up at various vendors. They’re manufactured overseas and made to look like the real thing, but they are not. They will absolutely cause issues (P0299 and P2459)

Where did you buy these filters?
(I’m guessing Amazon or eBay?)

Fenderltd

Reaction score

Those are imitation or “fake” filters that have been popping up at various vendors. They’re manufactured overseas and made to look like the real thing, but they are not. They will absolutely cause issues (P0299 and P2459)

Can you show me the real one? Guess I need to go by the 93 dollar one.

Fenderltd

Reaction score

One from Amazon, one was eBay.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you show me the real one? Guess I need to go by the 93 dollar one.

genos garage
klm performance

Last edited:

baker01

Reaction score
genos garage
klm performance
I just noticed that Genos no longer lists the fleetguard af27684 as compatible with the 2019 and up trucks. I wonder if they know something we don't.

Fenderltd

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the images, I’m going to file a complaint with eBay. My check engine light went off today after the install, which was strange as it’s been for the last week, but as shown in my previous post, the filter I received is just really strange.

JMR62

Reaction score

They’re only $39.95 at Geno’s Garage. The real-deal. I wouldn’t pay $90+ for one unless it was an absolute emergency.
Yes, I also got mine at Geno's for the same price. The real ones have 46 pleats. The fake ones that you got online have 52.
I'll bet someone ripped the glue strips off of a bunch of filters so they could make a good sale. They would not be made with the indentions on top of the pleating for no reason.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I just noticed that Genos no longer lists the fleetguard af27684 as compatible with the 2019 and up trucks. I wonder if they know something we don't.
Genos removed the 2019+ trucks from the AF27684 compatibility because Fleetguard recently decided to switch its source of manufacture for that filter from a plant in the USA to a plant in Mexico. When this change happened, the entire design and manufacture of the filter changed. The new “MX” sourced version has more pleats and glue strips running across them. Due to the uncertainty of whether or not this change in design would have a negative effect on 2019+ trucks. There are a number of Ram-sourced documents suggesting that filters with glue strips may cause P0299 and P2459 DTC’s. Add to that the repeated reports of issues from users, I believe Genos acted in good faith and decided to “pull” them for now. Or at least that’s my take on the situation. IMG_4652.jpeg

baker01

Reaction score
Genos removed the 2019+ trucks from the AF27684 compatibility because Fleetguard recently decided to switch its source of manufacture for that filter from a plant in the USA to a plant in Mexico. When this change happened, the entire design and manufacture of the filter changed. The new “MX” sourced version has more pleats and glue strips running across them. Due to the uncertainty of whether or not this change in design would have a negative effect on 2019+ trucks. There are a number of Ram-sourced documents suggesting that filters with glue strips may cause P0299 and P2459 DTC’s. Add to that the repeated reports of issues from users, I believe Genos acted in good faith and decided to “pull” them for now. Or at least that’s my take on the situation. View attachment 68288
Thanks, good to know.

Fenderltd

Reaction score
Well I messaged the seller and pretty much instantly was issued you a refund.

The seller did say "Dealer and products straight from Mopar do not share the same packaging. "

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I messaged the seller and pretty much instantly was issued you a refund.

The seller did say "Dealer and products straight from Mopar do not share the same packaging. "
Amazon and eBay need to start cracking down on the fake filter issue. It’s actually reaching beyond just the mopar filters. I just saw some information that pretty much proves that fake “Cat” filters are now showing up there as well.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW i just saw this on Reddit. He had a WIX/NAPA Gold filter with plastic rear cage(rather than the metal mesh), plastic broke and got sucked into the turbo. Mind you, the intake was packed with snow, so it was sucking hard to get air.

View attachment 68733

View attachment 68730View attachment 68731View attachment 68732
Yeah that’s what happens when you build a sub par filter. I have actually seen that wix in three formats: the original which was identical to factory Mopar, and then two versions of the “black foam” one (metal mesh and plastic mesh). Not sure if the two black versions come from the same factory or not. I will say that this particular type of failure would have been pretty difficult for any air filter to resist, but the metal backing would have likely remained together as one piece and just folded, whereas the plastic flexed and then subsequently snapped. Either way that’s a hard lesson to learn.

flan

Reaction score
Must of thrown a code early on that was ignored. Intake sensors are pretty sensitive.

Users who are viewing this thread