Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4500 Camper/Jeep Hauler Build

gprguy

Reaction score
Kelderman Air Suspension - Front

Had a productive day today, finished up the front suspension. It's just plumbed for a manual fill at the moment, I am going to come back and mount the ride height sensors after I get the rear done and I can put it up in the air more.

IMG_5140.jpeg

IMG_5141.jpeg

The Raptor shocks are beauts and I am sure will ride great, but I can't help but think they are a bit overkill for a mostly on road dually. Part of me would be happier with some off the shelf Bilsteins.

After that I started getting ready to work on the rear - took off the janky fenders (for now) and also removed the tail pipe so I'll have some more room to work. Also took a ton of photos of the rear plumbing and wiring for the fuel tanks - I think I am going to try to finalize what I need to order to add the midship tank and start that process.

Hopefully tomorrow I can start stripping the old suspension off the back. Maybe even get some paint on the newly exposed areas.

buzzuti

Reaction score
@sludge Or anyone else thinking of ordering some Duraflaps - I just received an email from them that they are doing 15% off online orders, today (the 4th) only. Code at checkout is 4JULY2023.
Code is still working today.
I have a set on my 3500, like them very much, easy install, solid construction.

gprguy

Reaction score
Kelderman Air Suspension - Rear - Out with the old..

Another productive day. Everything in the rear that unbolts is gone. I still have to cut off the upper bump stop mounts and the leaf spring perches, but that will be a job for tomorrow along with painting the frame.

Those leaf springs are ridiculous - I am guessing 150-200 lbs each.

IMG_5166.jpeg

Big shout out to Milwaukee and their high torque 1/2" impact gun. I didn't even have to turn it up to high for most of the bolts, it had no issues with anything.

IMG_5167.jpeg

IMG_5169.jpeg

So tomorrow some cutting, grinding and painting, followed hopefully by a TTPMS install and testing out my trailer 360 camera kit.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Awesome build. Did you look into Liquid Springs? Actually Kelderman was my first choice also until I found out about liquid springs. Down the road I'm thinking of doing a 4500 build with liquid springs. I like how their hydraulic suspension system is computer controlled as it goes down the road.

gprguy

Reaction score
Awesome build. Did you look into Liquid Springs? Actually Kelderman was my first choice also until I found out about liquid springs. Down the road I'm thinking of doing a 4500 build with liquid springs. I like how their hydraulic suspension system is computer controlled as it goes down the road.
Thank you! I did, and I also got to check out their system on a few trucks at Overland Expo last year. It is definitely cool technology, and I imagine they would ride even better, but they were a non starter for me for a few reasons. The main reason being the complete inability to repair while broken down on the roadside - Kelderman I can carry a spare bag (off the shelf Continental) and if the compressor dies I can just plug a Schrader valve into the bag directly and air it up from wherever. If I have my Jeep in the trailer its compressor could air up the truck bags. Right now the front bags on my truck are aired up with just a valve on them, I haven't even installed the onboard compressor and plumbing. Liquid Spring is all proprietary everything down to the fluid itself. The other big reason is the Liquid Spring setup is gigantic, it takes up a huge amount of real estate on the truck with the accumulators. I just don't want to burn all that space, I have a lot of things to cram under this truck and there's no space for those.

I think Liquid Spring makes a ton of sense for an ambulance application which is where they came from. They have fleet maintenance and if an ambulance breaks down they probably have at least one other to fill in. But for the person exploring the outdoors, going on cross country trips and frequently in the middle of nowhere, it seems like a good way to get stranded.

gprguy

Reaction score
Kelderman Frame Prep - Trailer 360 Surround - TTPMS (almost)

Today I spent most of the day grinding and cutting brackets off the frame, followed by a fresh coat of paint. This should be more or less the end of the destruction for the rear suspension, and tomorrow I can actually start adding things.

IMG_5178.jpeg

IMG_5179.jpeg

Next up, my trailer gateway module showed up. My truck came with the truck surround camera setup, and was wired for the trailer surround, but the security gateway under the dash wasn't there. I installed that, enabled the code, plugged in my eBay Trailer 360 kit and it worked like a charm.IMG_5177.jpeg

Lastly my Trailer TPMS modules showed up today as well, but unfortunately I forgot to order one wiring jumper that is chassis cab specific. Oh well, that'll have to wait another week or so while that is shipped.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Your pictures are a great representation of just how beefy the chassis cab frames are - just like you said. Love the progress!

gprguy

Reaction score
Thanks! I actually broke out the calipers as I was curious.. the main web of the frame is 5/16” thick. Then there are reinforced areas (particularly around the drop down) that are 5/8” thick. Beefy indeed..

Last edited:

gprguy

Reaction score
Supposedly yes. I've been watching that thread on and off since it's my biggest concern with this truck (built Dec 3rd), although I don't know if my Feb 24th build date 5500 I abandoned would have been unaffected either. I've only recently become aware of that RSU document and they said if it was needed it was done. I've asked for some proof (screenshot of the dealerconnect page for my truck) and I hope to get that once the holiday weekend is past.

We shall see.. Worst case, I have plenty of time to sort that out while I get it built up for camping.
Welp, no proof, but my dealer says RSU 23-065 didn't apply to my truck so it didn't need it. Hopefully the transmission is fine..

jetrinka

Reaction score
Welp, no proof, but my dealer says RSU 23-065 didn't apply to my truck so it didn't need it. Hopefully the transmission is fine..
Its horrible to say but "I guess you'll find out" :p:eek::eek:o_O

Damonbruce

Reaction score
Love the progress! I won't be far behind in the suspension category. Can't wait to hear how it rides! Unloaded, no bed 4500/5500 you can feel an ant in the road.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I hope the Dec 2022 build date is ok like Ram told you. From other posts, sounds like they don't have a 100% handle on the affected units.

Get it together and start putting miles on it to test it out!

Love the build! Can't wait to get your opinion of the Kelderman setup.

And I'm like you, not worried at all about the frame. Most just don't understand the frames on the C/C vs regular pickups.

gprguy

Reaction score
Kelderman Frame Mounts

Finally, some progress that involves adding parts. Today the fuel tank crossmember brace went in, the upper bag mounts, the frame end of the track bar mount and the trailing arm mounts went in.

IMG_5182.jpeg

IMG_5183.jpeg

Torquing the 7/8" bolts to 275 ft/lbs was a lot of fun.

Next up will be the lower bag mounts, which are by far the biggest two pieces of hardware in this kit. They will be a bit of a wrestling match..

gprguy

Reaction score
Kelderman Axle Brackets

Work managed to get in the way of progress for most of today, but I still managed to get a few more parts on - specifically the lower bag mounts, the axle track bar, and the track bar itself.

IMG_5184.jpeg

IMG_5185.jpeg

Those lower airbag mounts are crazy beefy. I'd be shocked if the rear axle assembly didn't weigh 1,000 lbs at this point. Oh and you can see my sweet super cheap temporary black exhaust turndown. Pretty sure it's powder coated - cheapest I could find on Amazon. Can't imagine it'll last long. I plan on something better after I get this all together.

I doubt I will get a ton of time to work on it tomorrow, but next up is the airbags followed by the control arms. Getting to the good stuff.

gprguy

Reaction score
Kelderman Control Arms

Work was an absolute catastrophe last night, was up most of the night so I didn't get much done today. But I did get the control arms in which feels like a big milestone. Also very happy to have that axle better secured.

They still need adjustment to align things and get the pinion angle right, but I need to put the air bags in first.

IMG_5189.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread