Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.5" to 7" Cluster Upgrade

turbojay

Reaction score
Researching upgrading the gauge cluster in a 2020 2500 6.4 Tradesman with 3.5" cluster to the 7.0" cluster. If I buy a brand new OEM gauge cluster, would it be plug and play? It's unclear to me if the mileage/hours would need to be programmed on a brand new oem cluster or would be read from the BCM. Any info would be appreciated.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Researching upgrading the gauge cluster in a 2020 2500 6.4 Tradesman with 3.5" cluster to the 7.0" cluster. If I buy a brand new OEM gauge cluster, would it be plug and play? It's unclear to me if the mileage/hours would need to be programmed on a brand new oem cluster or would be read from the BCM. Any info would be appreciated.
You can’t buy a brand new cluster from a parts supplier. You have to source one from a wrecked truck. It will be plug n play, but you’d have to get the mileage corrected. There are companies out there that can do it for you, or there’s AlfaOBD, but it is hit or miss on successfully changing the mileage and hours.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You can’t buy a brand new cluster from a parts supplier. You have to source one from a wrecked truck. It will be plug n play, but you’d have to get the mileage corrected. There are companies out there that can do it for you, or there’s AlfaOBD, but it is hit or miss on successfully changing the mileage and hours.
I figured the odo and hrs would be stored in the bcm at this point with the way they have everything integrated

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I figured the odo and hrs would be stored in the bcm at this point with the way they have everything integrated
Mileage is stored in multiple locations, including 4 different spots in the PCM. One module is not capable of “pulling” the mileage from another module.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Pretty pricey option but comes with them programing your new cluster to work with your truck...

Guage Upgrade
Yeah, infotainment is out of their minds, and prey on people that don’t know any better. You can find one at a junkyard yourself (that’s exactly where they get theirs from), and send it off to get corrected for a total of less than half that price.

turbojay

Reaction score

Jimmy07,

So your saying if I purchased a brand new OEM cluster I would still have to send it off to one of the programmers? Is there a recommended programmer for the Ram clusters? I noticed there are several advertising on ebay. Thanks for any info.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I’m saying that you can’t buy a brand new cluster...at all. If you go to a mopar parts supply site, and put it in your cart and pay for it, the order will be canceled a few days later. They can’t sell a new cluster directly to you.
You need to find one from a wreck, and either use AlfaOBD to correct the mileage and hours (hit or miss on whether it works), or send it to somewhere like infotainment to correct the mileage and hours.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m saying that you can’t buy a brand new cluster...at all. If you go to a mopar parts supply site, and put it in your cart and pay for it, the order will be canceled a few days later. They can’t sell a new cluster directly to you.
You need to find one from a wreck, and either use AlfaOBD to correct the mileage and hours (hit or miss on whether it works), or send it to somewhere like infotainment to correct the mileage and hours.
Glad i saw this before trying to order one

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I knew better, but it was the easiest path to success, for me.

Matts2500

Reaction score
I have a 2022 2500 Tradesman with 6.4. I want to start look for the better cluster. Mine just has a pretty basic cluster. Anyone know what the correct part number is for the upgraded cluster? I’m not paying Infotainment’s ridiculous prices.

Sam 15

Reaction score
I bought my upgraded instrument cluster for my 2014 6.4 form this guy. Looks like he has a few listed. You send him the milage on your cluster and he will program it into the one you are buying. Make sure you check which one for gas or diesel. mine was plug and play...easy peesy.

kristof

Reaction score
So what is the process of upgrading the cluster on 2020 Ram 2500? Do I just find one and it should be plug and play? Then just change the mileage? Or I should look for specific part number? I know it have to be gas version

Musclelogic

Reaction score
So what is the process of upgrading the cluster on 2020 Ram 2500? Do I just find one and it should be plug and play? Then just change the mileage? Or I should look for specific part number? I know it have to be gas version

In my research so far, 19-22 will interchange, 23-24 are different since the 23+ trucks got the true 5th gen steering wheel and lefthand buttons.

Yes, you'll have to program miles and hours via AlfaOBD.

kristof

Reaction score
I upgraded the cluster and I have couple of questions. First the mileage. My truck have over 88K miles on it. New cluster came with over 5K miles on it. When I correct it in alfaobd it went up to little bit over 55K and not 88K.
Second question the fuel range it shows as 1999 miles which is impossible . Should I wait little bit more before I try again? Only drove about 15 miles after the upgrade

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I upgraded the cluster and I have couple of questions. First the mileage. My truck have over 88K miles on it. New cluster came with over 5K miles on it. When I correct it in alfaobd it went up to little bit over 55K and not 88K.
Second question the fuel range it shows as 1999 miles which is impossible . Should I wait little bit more before I try again? Only drove about 15 miles after the upgrade
You need to enter your mileage in alfaobd to the km equivalent, then tweek it from there. What it sounds like you’re saying sounds backwards- ie, if your current mileage is 55,000 miles, then you’ll enter ~88,500.
The dte range will go down to normal after a bit of driving.

kristof

Reaction score
You need to enter your mileage in alfaobd to the km equivalent, then tweek it from there. What it sounds like you’re saying sounds backwards- ie, if your current mileage is 55,000 miles, then you’ll enter ~88,500.
The dte range will go down to normal after a bit of driving.
Okay will do that. Also how come the cluster won't read the mileage from computer?

kristof

Reaction score
Mileage range start dropping. But my fuel gage keep showing full tank. I assume it's because the range is still over 800 miles? There is no floater inside the tank?

Users who are viewing this thread