Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.0 twin turbo Hurricane motor

flan

Reaction score
Each grade used to be $0.10 more than the other around my area, since chinavirus the price on anything but 87 rises rapidly. That’s gotta suck to have to use 91. Gas buddy says $3.55 for 87, $4.03 for 89 and $4.36 for premium. Diesel at that station is $4.19 in contrast.

jsalbre

Reaction score
All those little turbo motors take 91 which is about $1 more per gallon here than diesel.

All my bikes 91, my sky redline 91 but it gets 32mpg on the highway and my bikes avg 38-45 mpg.
Not all turbo motors require 91 anymore. My wife's Tiguan (which is obviously not a workhorse) runs just fine on 87 as long as I'm not driving it like a race car in 100+ temps. That motor is an oddity though (it's a "Budack" cycle engine, interesting to read about), and has a power curve that looks more like a small diesel, albeit with a 6500 RPM redline. It's a bit lackluster from a standstill, but that's mostly because they failed miserably on the transmission tuning.

Riddick

Reaction score
The Fords can run on 87 or 93, the tune will self adjust accordingly. Maybe the HO version in the Raptor and some of the Limited trucks call for 93 but the standard 3.5 TT runs fine on 87.

senecagreen

Reaction score
The knock sensors retard the timing when it starts to ping to prevent detonation and damage to the pistons. Less power and mpg but you can fuel up in places that don't have premium on a trip. Its a safeguard system, not for everyday use.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The knock sensors retard the timing when it starts to ping to prevent detonation and damage to the pistons. Less power and mpg but you can fuel up in places that don't have premium on a trip. Its a safeguard system, not for everyday use.

On which vehicle?

The ford can absolutely run on 87 everyday.

senecagreen

Reaction score
Pickup Truck +SUV Talk

#TRUCKTALK NEWS

Does the Ford F-150 EcoBoost require premium fuel?​

Tim Esterdahl October 4, 2022

SHARE​

One of the more common questions about the Ford F-150 EcoBoost is this: Does it require premium fuel? The short answer is no. But, even though it’s not required, there are instances where premium fuel is strongly recommended.
The Ford F-150 EcoBoost is a 3.5-liter V-6 twin-turbocharged engine, and using these turbochargers, it is able to provide V-8 power with V-6 fuel economy. With the get-up-and-go, it provides a more pleasing driving experience than a traditional V-8 engine. However, this has raised questions on where that performance come from? The turbochargers. So, wouldn’t it need premium, aka 91 octane or above, fuel to achieve this performance?

0 seconds of 0 seconds

0 seconds of 30 seconds

Ford F-150 EcoBoost and premium fuel

Ford states in their owner’s manual for the 2022 F-150, the truck recommended fuel type is 87 octane. So, for an everyday drive, regular fuel is just fine. Kind of.
However, even this can be confusing since 87 is often mid-grade depending on where you live. As we discuss in finding the right octane fuel for your truck, the minimum fuel at a pump, aka regular, can vary from 85 to 87 octane. Premium can also vary between 91 and 93 octane as well. What this means, though, is whether 87 is regular or mid-grade where you live, that’s the fuel you must use in your truck to stay within warranty.

Speaking of premium, there are times when it is recommended.
The manual states on page 252, “For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.”

You seem to be someone with a F150 eco boost. My statement was a general statement not specific to any one vehicle.

Premium is recommended for hot weather or towing. Under most other situations the ecu can adjust just fine.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Instead of arguing over what OTHER engines require for octane, I would probably try to think of a current vehicle that is actually using both versions of the hurricane engine, go to it’s online owner’s manual, and see what it has to say…

pizzatots

Reaction score
The Fords can run on 87 or 93, the tune will self adjust accordingly. Maybe the HO version in the Raptor and some of the Limited trucks call for 93 but the standard 3.5 TT runs fine on 87.

We run 87 in our aviator eco boost

Vdrsnk

Reaction score
Our hurricane equipped Grand Wagoneer requires 91 octane minimum.

I love this engine btw. Runs really well, for a full size suv, have to set a real expectation. It’s not going to keep up with my RS6 by any means. But for hauling around a family of five it’s awesome. Good power, smooth as can be, unlike the hemi equipped models we test drove from my experience, and fairly quiet yet aggressive. Now we do not tow with it at all, why would I with the Ram.

We have had it since January.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
Calling it now, that above poster is a spam bot building up post count.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Sounds right, I work with these engines every day.

Docwagon1776

Reaction score
Hello Chas!
The Wagoneer is indeed positioned as the flagship model for this engine, and it's understandable that you're eager to see how it compares to the Hemi 5.7 and 6.4. While specific details may vary, it's reasonable to expect improved MPG with the extra horsepower and torque. The choice of an inline 6 formation is exciting, as it offers inherent balance and potential advantages over other engine configurations. Proper design and engineering can help address cam phase and oiling issues. It's important to stay updated with official announcements and reviews for accurate and detailed information on the engine's performance and capabilities.

Someone testing a chat bot?

WXman

Reaction score
Our hurricane equipped Grand Wagoneer requires 91 octane minimum.

I love this engine btw. Runs really well, for a full size suv, have to set a real expectation. It’s not going to keep up with my RS6 by any means. But for hauling around a family of five it’s awesome. Good power, smooth as can be, unlike the hemi equipped models we test drove from my experience, and fairly quiet yet aggressive. Now we do not tow with it at all, why would I with the Ram.

We have had it since January.

In the Ohio Valley region of the country where I live, most stations only have 87, 89, or 93. So in that case, if the manual says the engine "requires" 91 minimum then I'd have to run 93 in it. So now we've gone from $3.15/gallon to feed a Hemi to $4.05/gallon to feed the Hurricane. Since the Hurricane in the real world is only going to see 1 MPG better than a Hemi (note I said the real world, not the magical EPA test circuit) that means the Hurricane will cost more money to drive than a Hemi.

Efficiency at its finest. That's what the government does best. I'm glad they care about the middle class so much.

Vdrsnk

Reaction score
In the Ohio Valley region of the country where I live, most stations only have 87, 89, or 93. So in that case, if the manual says the engine "requires" 91 minimum then I'd have to run 93 in it. So now we've gone from $3.15/gallon to feed a Hemi to $4.05/gallon to feed the Hurricane. Since the Hurricane in the real world is only going to see 1 MPG better than a Hemi (note I said the real world, not the magical EPA test circuit) that means the Hurricane will cost more money to drive than a Hemi.

Efficiency at its finest. That's what the government does best. I'm glad they care about the middle class so much.
I get what you are saying. Fuel mileage isn’t a concern for me. My wife averages about 5000 miles/year. Which means it cost us $225/year extra to run premium. That amount isn’t going to bother me and certainly isn’t worth me complaining over. Much easier ways to save $225/year than fuel mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread