Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 or 1500

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Also I am seeing Laramie 2500s with the cummins with over 2000lbs payload, which isn't as good as the ~3000 the gas gets, but certainly useable if your trailer isn't too light. The only thing holding back the cummins is going to be how it competes against the new Duramax / Powerstroke diesel combos in efficiency.
Diesel and its components add right at 1000lbs to the base weight.

Why the 6.4l regular cab dually is the payload king.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
To add a little. SAE J2807 which is the test criteria that establishes the GCWR and trailer tow ratings for trucks under 14k GVWR lists order of importance as:
1) GCWR
2) GAWR
3) GVWR

Obviously per the book, none should be exceeded, but the standard even allows for exceeding RAWR prior to setting the a WDH (as some vehicles are RAWR limited).

Ram 1500 and 2500 w/ cummins are payload (GVWR) limited. I've always been of the opinion that GVWR is the least risky rating to exceed, given the fact that GAWRs are established with some safety factors, and FAWR + RAWR are greater than the GVWR. I wouldn't however regularly exceed it.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
i wish i had another camping trip ahead of me this season but i don't think it's going to happen, otherwise i could give a better first-hand experience

i recently traded my 2015 1500 in for a new 2500, mostly because i appreciate overcompensating towability.

the 1500 was a CC SB 4x4, 5.7, 8sp, 3.21. this was certainly not the best options for a great tow rating. according to the charts the max tow is 8,000lbs with a payload of 1,530. i did, however, add a set of air lift 1000s to the springs to give me an extra 1,000lbs of payload. honestly i did this to combat any rear squat that would happen, and it worked like a charmtruck.jpg

the camper's numbers are 635lb dry hitch weight and 7,635 CWR. i did test out the difference between near-empty and full psi on the helper springs and there was definitely some sag. although i never did any actual weighing i'm sure i carry way less than the 1,335 CCC. in the truck i would say about 500lbs of people and dogs, and another 100lbs of stuff thrown in the bed, so i was probably right at my max all around

it didn't have any problems on the trips i took. my longest with it was to maine, about 550 miles, and i didnt have any issues keeping up with the speed limits.

so now i have a 2500 sport CC SB 4x4, 6.4, 8sp, 3.73. on the charts it's 3380 payload and 14,410 towing. i've already made a trip to the junkyard with some metal in the bed and on a trailer and i think i weighed in at 1120lbs with a 1,000lb trailer. i know it's not much but the ride is definitely smoother with some weight in the back

it's funny because the last HD ram i had was a 2012 with the HO cummins and it technically had less payload and towing than my new 2500. with that one i was towing a 5th wheel and traveling down the road around 21,000 lbs. and although i will certainly miss the diesel i couldn't justify getting a new one. i think back in 2012 the standalone diesel option was like $6-7k and now it's like $12k. i also had enough vehicles where the ram was only for towing the camper, but now i use my truck as a DD, and i think the gas would just work out better for me now

i think even if the choice to get a diesel had been better money-wise i would probably still choose the gasser. the 2012 i had was the last year and the only HD truck left that didn't use DEF. i just don't think i want to have to deal with that today.

jkempken

Reaction score
@oaklandopen
the 1500 was a CC SB 4x4, 5.7, 8sp, 3.21. this was certainly not the best options for a great tow rating. according to the charts the max tow is 8,000lbs with a payload of 1,530. i did, however, add a set of air lift 1000s to the springs to give me an extra 1,000lbs of payload. honestly i did this to combat any rear squat that would happen, and it worked like a charm

Just so you know the helper springs are there to help level out the truck. They do not give you extra payload as you mentioned. if not set up properly then can actually be detrimental as they can take weight off the steer axle.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
@oaklandopen

Just so you know the helper springs are there to help level out the truck. They do not give you extra payload as you mentioned. if not set up properly then can actually be detrimental as they can take weight off the steer axle.

Yea I figured that. I used "extra payload" loosely, it was really to level me out, which it did

I realize they do nothing for the other actual hardware like axles, bearings, tires, ect, as far as strengthening.

Phil T

Reaction score
Don't get a gasser unless you like to take trips uphill in both directions. I had a Suburban before buying my 3500 Cummins and the difference is like driving a VW beetle vs. a Corvette. Towing is best done with a Diesel. How many semi's do you see with a gas engine????

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Don't get a gasser unless you like to take trips uphill in both directions. I had a Suburban before buying my 3500 Cummins and the difference is like driving a VW beetle vs. a Corvette. Towing is best done with a Diesel. How many semi's do you see with a gas engine????
Phil T, with all due respect, “towing “ covers a lot of territory. I just got back from a trip towing a 7,000 lbs bumper tow travel trailer with a ‘19 Ram 2500 6.4 gas and it did fine up and down the Colorado Rockies.

I do have the Towing Technology and Safety Group packages but honestly this truck was built to handle it. It automatically used engine braking downhills and never made us feel unsafe.

So to use a broad brush to discount an HD gas truck is unfair. Now, if I was pulling 12,000 lbs I’d opt for the diesel but for us this Ram B3125018-7208-4F56-B13F-18A51836D5F7.jpeg gas does the job fine.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Interesting reading the above. My wife and I just ordered a 30' Airstream, International Serenity. Max weight on the trailer is 8800. We are planing on ordering a 2020 Ram 2500 Mega Cab with the Hemi and 3.73 axel. Based on the towing guide I can tow 13,750 which gives me plenty of excess capacity. What I am really happy about is the Max Payload of 2,620. With the Cummins payload is down to 1,770. Hemi seems the way to go. Pro's, Cons?

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
Interesting reading the above. My wife and I just ordered a 30' Airstream, International Serenity. Max weight on the trailer is 8800. We are planing on ordering a 2020 Ram 2500 Mega Cab with the Hemi and 3.73 axel. Based on the towing guide I can tow 13,750 which gives me plenty of excess capacity. What I am really happy about is the Max Payload of 2,620. With the Cummins payload is down to 1,770. Hemi seems the way to go. Pro's, Cons?

i think you're on the right track considering the Hemi over the Cummins given how it affects payload.

i have a 25ft Airstream myself, and recently considered the same issues as well.....as a matter of fact, i went with a Megacab and the Hemi....but, went with the 3500 over the 2500. because, if you want payload, and as Airstreamers, we all know how little outside storage we have on our trailers, go with the model that can handle more.

right now, i'll be able to tow 15,200 lbs with 4200lbs in payload....btw, if you're going with a Hemi, go with the 4.10 gears. that will bump up your tow and payload capabilities for only $145 bucks extra.

i get that some can be concerned with the ride quality. i don't think there's much of a difference. i rather get the payload and towing benefits if i'm going the HD truck route. i also got the air ride suspension as well. that helps smooth things out considerably.

Camr

Reaction score
We pull a 30 ft Airstream Classic with a new 2019 3500 Longhorn 6.7 HD. The truck is far more than the 10,000 lb Airstream reqiires, but I really do appreciate the exhaust braking. We traded our 2014 3500 with 140k and still original brakes. Being a retired truck driver, I have no problems allowing the truck to drop gears going up hill, and gearing down going downhill. Cold brakes at the bottom of a hill are a great safety bonus.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
We pull a 30 ft Airstream Classic with a new 2019 3500 Longhorn 6.7 HD. The truck is far more than the 10,000 lb Airstream reqiires, but I really do appreciate the exhaust braking. We traded our 2014 3500 with 140k and still original brakes. Being a retired truck driver, I have no problems allowing the truck to drop gears going up hill, and gearing down going downhill. Cold brakes at the bottom of a hill are a great safety bonus.

agreed!

if you have the means and you're in a position to, i think you're always best off getting way more truck than you need.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I pulled a 30ft Airstream a couple across Florida and back with my 6.4... it wasn't an issue and worked well, got a little bit more than 10mpg.
For me... there is no cost savings in getting the 6.7, I'd be throwing money away.

IMO if you are going to be full time towing, towing heavy, or towing in mountains rather routinely, then the 6.7 may likely be a better choice.
If you do opt for the 6.7, get the 3500... you lose way too much payload in the 2500.

Users who are viewing this thread