Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 or 1500

archer75

Reaction score
Half tons just don't have the payload to tow much. And the 2500 handles a load sooooo much better. It's really night and day. However 3/4 tons don't have much more payload than the 1500's so honestly i'd move to the 3500 with the air suspension. It's a softer more comfortable suspension and you can air it up when towing. Air down when not.

I have a 2015 2500 diesel and use it as a daily driver without issue. We also have a outdoors rv trailer which can get quite heavy. Just under 1200lbs on the tongue without a full water tank and a little over with. And with the gear in the bed of the truck plus the family and dogs it's pushing the payload limit of the 2500.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Half tons just don't have the payload to tow much. And the 2500 handles a load sooooo much better. It's really night and day. However 3/4 tons don't have much more payload than the 1500's so honestly i'd move to the 3500 with the air suspension.

My 1500 Limited had a payload of 1300#... my 2500 Limited 6.4 has a payload of 2900#.

You are correct in that the payload on the 2500s with the 6.7 isn't much better than that of some of the 1500s.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
My 1500 Limited had a payload of 1300#... my 2500 Limited 6.4 has a payload of 2900#.

You are correct in that the payload on the 2500s with the 6.7 isn't much better than that of some of the 1500s.

especially when loaded with a diesel engine and other options....

orlando bull

Reaction score
I went with the 3500 because we do intend to upgrade to a fifth wheel at some point in the next couple of years.

But, in your situation, if you think you'll stick with what you have or similar, I would go with the 2500. I think it will be worlds better than your f250 as a daily driver. Depending on how much you tow and the reason you don't like your f250 (too stiff?), I would consider going gas with air ride suspension for an even softer ride than the standard coil springs. I test drove 2018s back to back in the 2500 and 3500. I didn't feel a huge difference, but, the 2500 should in theory ride a bit better than the 3500. As for cost, there should only be about $500-600 difference in similarly equipped 2500-3500s. The 3500 comes standard with limited slip which is an option on the 2500 and also seems necessary with the CTD. Point being, if you're thinking 3500, don't let cost be your determining factor.

I traded out of an F150 and won't go back to ford. Nothing wrong with it, but, it just wasn't for me. Having said that, if I was unwilling to go to a heavy duty truck and absolutely wanted to do a half ton, the F150 is the only way to go. I had a platinum 150 with 1646# payload. It pulled our 32'/6800# travel trailer OK, but, with the slightest wind it got uncomfortable. I had the 5.0, but, the 3.5 ecoboost would be a better tow rig. At the end of the day, half tons are just too light in my opinion to have that large of a wind sail hooked up. Your airstream probably pulls way better than my TT though and you could get by with a half ton if you wanted to. The Ram payload is going to limit you though. Again, having said all of this, I personally won't own another non-RAM truck. I have had 5 now and they have been good to me.

Kmayer

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the additional input. My 99 F250 has been a great truck for towing, but is noisy and slow, has a jarring ride, and you need a football field to do a U turn in. This is not a slam on the F250, but more a reality of how auto technology’s has advanced over the last 20 years. With every downside, there is an upside, and the 7.3 power stroke and six speed manual transmission have been flawless, pull strong, and are not hampered with that same modern technology from a reliability standpoint.

Our needs really are between the 1500 and 2500 vs. 2500 and 3500. Others may not agree, but if I had to push the payload a bit from time to time, I would be ok with that if all the other numbers were significantly under.

One thing I’m not clear on is what the auto leveling rear air suspension does on the 2500. Does this simply raise and lower depending on weight or improve ride quality? Is the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 leaf springs in the rear (I know you have more powerful engine option and tranny too). I think brakes, axles etc. are same.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Omarf4

Reaction score
On the 2500 auto-leveling rear air suspension (copy paste from FCA - and how it works on mine):
the air suspension has three methods of operation; Normal/Payload Mode, Trailer Mode and Bed
Lowering Mode. In Normal/Payload Mode the system automatically detects load on the rear suspension from a trailer
or payload. The air pressure increases until the vehicle reaches normal ride height – leveling the truck and improving
stability and loaded ride. When a high-load capacity condition exists, the air suspension automatically fills the rear air
bags to level the truck and improve stability and ride quality — even with the highest available towing at 35,100 lbs. In
the Trailer/Tow Mode, the system can lower the rear suspension approximately one inch to ensure a level/parallel
relationship between truck and trailer. The lowered position also directs “bed spray” outward/away from the truck due
to its rearward pitch. The third operation of Ram’s available rear air suspension is Bed Lowering Mode, which brings
the rear suspension to its lowest position for easier trailer hook-up. This mode allows the operator to raise the rear
suspension once the hitch ball is properly aligned, connecting the trailer with little or no jack crank. Additionally, Bed
Lowering Mode allows easier access to the box for transferring materials or getting in and out.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the additional input. My 99 F250 has been a great truck for towing, but is noisy and slow, has a jarring ride, and you need a football field to do a U turn in. This is not a slam on the F250, but more a reality of how auto technology’s has advanced over the last 20 years. With every downside, there is an upside, and the 7.3 power stroke and six speed manual transmission have been flawless, pull strong, and are not hampered with that same modern technology from a reliability standpoint.

Our needs really are between the 1500 and 2500 vs. 2500 and 3500. Others may not agree, but if I had to push the payload a bit from time to time, I would be ok with that if all the other numbers were significantly under.

One thing I’m not clear on is what the auto leveling rear air suspension does on the 2500. Does this simply raise and lower depending on weight or improve ride quality? Is the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 leaf springs in the rear (I know you have more powerful engine option and tranny too). I think brakes, axles etc. are same.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Generally, I would say yes on the 2500 vs 3500 differences. They may have a different rear axle for 2019, but, years prior were exactly the same.

In the 2500, the air suspension completely replaces the coils. It's fully air ride, so, the theory is that under less load, the suspension will be a bit softer. Maybe someone who has one can chime in. I agree that the 2500 payload is artificially low to keep at the 10,000 GVWR and it wouldn't be a major issue to go over payload occassionally. Some have very strong opinions the other way. I think the 2500 would suit you really well.

If you're used to that F250 (my uncle has a 98), I promise you that the 2500 will be a huge upgrade in ride quality. If you never step down to the half ton, you won't have the frame of reference to their softer ride and the 2500 will feel like a luxury car compared to your current truck.

If it helps you, from the f150 to the 3500, the ride is certainly stiffer, but, parking (even at 6-8" longer) hasn't been an issue. I was always cautious with the F150, so, that hasn't changed for me. Turning radius is slightly more, but, I think the F150 was worse than my '13 Ram 1500. Not looking at any data, this truck feels very similar to the F150, but, still worse than the 1500. The BIG change for me in daily driver is the height of this truck. I have a parking garage at work with 6'8" clearance and I am not putting my truck in there. The 150 antennae slammed every sign in the garage, so, I suspect I would have issues. We have an "oversize" lot that is half a block away that I am now parking in. That was the sacrifice I made in the switch, but, otherwise, I have zero complaints.

My wife, who is pregnant with twins, is a little more sensitive to the ride quality change, but, that is situational for her.

Kmayer

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for the additional info. Sounds like Ram primarily promotes the air ride as load leveling, but since it replaces the coil springs it would stand to reason that it would improve the ride under no load situations too. I’ll have to do a bit more research on it. I have no doubt this new truck will be night and day difference from my old ford! Thanks again.

Kevin

arude

Reaction score
Just to chime in, i just got my 2500 Laramie Crew Cab, short bed, with Cummins. All decked out for towing. A beautiful truck. Its BIG. This replaces my 2009 RAM Crew Long bed with Cummins. Other than the bed size the new 2500 is still big in comparision. BUT rides great in comparision. BUT and a big but, payload is disappointing. 2074 as it sits. By the time you add 2 people and gear in the back you are down to 1500. Glad i was looking at one of the half ton towable 5th wheels. So basically i ended up with a big powerful truck with little payload. My bad..

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
We finally came to an agreement with the dealer and FCA to buy back our 1500 and picked out a 2019 2500 6.4 Laramie with 2940# of payload. It’s a huge difference from the 1500 which felt like a sports car compared to the 2500. First trip with the Airstream is in 2 weeks to the Colorado Rocky Mountains!

Attachments

• CA5BBBE2-5D0C-44C1-90E1-340C14EE83B9.jpeg
    CA5BBBE2-5D0C-44C1-90E1-340C14EE83B9.jpeg
    663.7 KB · Views: 28

Kmayer

Reaction score
We finally came to an agreement with the dealer and FCA to buy back our 1500 and picked out a 2019 2500 6.4 Laramie with 2940# of payload. It’s a huge difference from the 1500 which felt like a sports car compared to the 2500. First trip with the Airstream is in 2 weeks to the Colorado Rocky Mountains!

Looks great with the airstream!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

Glad they did the right thing and helped you out!

Phil T

Reaction score
1500 is a TOY. The make them for soccer moms to go to the grocery store.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
1500 is a TOY. The make them for soccer moms to go to the grocery store.

They are a light duty truck for light duty uses and great for general light duty construction work and hauling around a small enclosed trailer.
The fact that manufacturers are less than forthcoming with information (and that people believe the information they are given) is another matter entirely.

Joe2bear

Reaction score

Thanks again,

Kevin

I know this might be an older post but wanted to chime in a bit.

I have a 2019 Megacab BigHorn with close to 2040 payload (The sticker states this) with air ride and the safety group. Want to let you know the ride for daily driving is miles above my 2017 f250, so its not just an bigger advance of an older f250 but even a newer gen F250. Just make sure to remove the PSI after the dealer gives you the truck, as mine was like 90 psi when its supposed to be like 60. Its due to shipping on why the psi is so high at first. Also, there is 3 options for air ride system. Normal height (daily drive), Alt Height (What you use when towing, goes down an inch and half I believe) and lowering bed mode (Used to hook up a trailer and have to be done using the controls on the screen instead of the button).

To respond about you going over payload, I had to do some research with parts, comparing to 3500. Figured I would share this.

I am going to register this truck at 11500-12k GVWR and already in the works in doing so (Yes you can do this and yes its simply a legality reason). I know many have opinions of 2500 vs 3500 and I am not trying to really get into it but just explaining what I am doing and researched.

I matched this current axle 11.5 AAM to previous 3500 before the 2019 (10k gross on the axle, same with front for 2500 2019). The parts actually match (Brakes, axles, pins, etc), so your there is room to improve .Of course the only difference was the springs in the rear (Leaf versus coil, or air bags, which is actually the weakest link), The front end of my 2019 is the same as a 3500 now, as well as the spring since I have a megacab. 5500 FAWR (Crew cab) vs 6000 FAWR (Mega cab)

Brakes also match between the 2500 and 3500 even in the current year. From what I have found, there is no difference in braking power between the model years (Also since both models have exhaust brake for the cummins, no difference there). Which means 2500 and 3500 can stop the same . I believe if you want bigger brakes you have to opt for the Max towing option on the 3500 and that typically goes towards a dually, not SRW. And tires and rims were never really an issue as they are always in the ball park of 7k-7500 per axle weight rating and are the same on a 3500.

I know many just tow without doing any increase of GVWR registration, I truly do not blame them when places in Nevada you pay a hefty premium for registration. I just wanted to inform you that you will most likely no where be near your RAWR and FAWR and have better distribution between the front and rear when towing with the rear air suspension with your trailer. So when people say "Shoulda got a 3500", its just silly if you do not tow very often. Hope this information helps!

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this might be an older post but wanted to chime in a bit.

I have a 2019 Megacab BigHorn with close to 2040 payload (The sticker states this) with air ride and the safety group. Want to let you know the ride for daily driving is miles above my 2017 f250, so its not just an bigger advance of an older f250 but even a newer gen F250. Just make sure to remove the PSI after the dealer gives you the truck, as mine was like 90 psi when its supposed to be like 60. Its due to shipping on why the psi is so high at first. Also, there is 3 options for air ride system. Normal height (daily drive), Alt Height (What you use when towing, goes down an inch and half I believe) and lowering bed mode (Used to hook up a trailer and have to be done using the controls on the screen instead of the button).

To respond about you going over payload, I had to do some research with parts, comparing to 3500. Figured I would share this.

I am going to register this truck at 11500-12k GVWR and already in the works in doing so (Yes you can do this and yes its simply a legality reason). I know many have opinions of 2500 vs 3500 and I am not trying to really get into it but just explaining what I am doing and researched.

I matched this current axle 11.5 AAM to previous 3500 before the 2019 (10k gross on the axle, same with front for 2500 2019). The parts actually match (Brakes, axles, pins, etc), so your there is room to improve .Of course the only difference was the springs in the rear (Leaf versus coil, or air bags, which is actually the weakest link), The front end of my 2019 is the same as a 3500 now, as well as the spring since I have a megacab. 5500 FAWR (Crew cab) vs 6000 FAWR (Mega cab)

Brakes also match between the 2500 and 3500 even in the current year. From what I have found, there is no difference in braking power between the model years (Also since both models have exhaust brake for the cummins, no difference there). Which means 2500 and 3500 can stop the same . I believe if you want bigger brakes you have to opt for the Max towing option on the 3500 and that typically goes towards a dually, not SRW. And tires and rims were never really an issue as they are always in the ball park of 7k-7500 per axle weight rating and are the same on a 3500.

I know many just tow without doing any increase of GVWR registration, I truly do not blame them when places in Nevada you pay a hefty premium for registration. I just wanted to inform you that you will most likely no where be near your RAWR and FAWR and have better distribution between the front and rear when towing with the rear air suspension with your trailer. So when people say "Shoulda got a 3500", its just silly if you do not tow very often. Hope this information helps!

Okay, so I weighed my truck with a load of wood

GVWR is 10000. Front GAWR is 5500 rear is 6000. Payload sticker reads 2998. Giving a base weight of 7002.

Since this whole payload and towing deal is so full of opinions, I figured I would share the numbers.

Used the CAT scale and the CAT app. Awesome tools.

20190727_203808.jpg

So truck weighed 9860 which gives 140 lbs left til GVWR is hit.

Newest theory is to not exceed GAWR...so at 6000 I was 800lbs under at 5200. So there isn't too much extra capacity as some have been claiming. And the front axle was at 4660 which leaves 840lbs.

So, with GAWR adding up to 11500 I should have 1640 total pounds I can add, but only 800 in the bed and I would think adding extra interior cargo would also bump into the rear and front GAWR.

Truck still had a bit of rake...so I feel certain the other 800lbs would have taken it away and then some.

With this i feel the 10000 GVWR can be exceeded...but it is a legit number and something else is the limiter.

The truck loved hauling the load though, got that HEMI right were it wanted to be.

This is a post I have over on the 5th Gen forum.

I totally agree with you, and have heard others do this...but there really isn't that much more capacity(especially with a diesel), but I agree a 2500 could Be registered at a higher weight...but 12k is really pushing it.

I also believe there is something within the makings of the truck that make the 10k more legit. But, we have beat this so much...I just load the old girl and drive.

Curious to hear more about what you complete.

Joe2bear

Reaction score
Okay, so I weighed my truck with a load of wood

GVWR is 10000. Front GAWR is 5500 rear is 6000. Payload sticker reads 2998. Giving a base weight of 7002.

Since this whole payload and towing deal is so full of opinions, I figured I would share the numbers.

Used the CAT scale and the CAT app. Awesome tools.

View attachment 825

So truck weighed 9860 which gives 140 lbs left til GVWR is hit.

Newest theory is to not exceed GAWR...so at 6000 I was 800lbs under at 5200. So there isn't too much extra capacity as some have been claiming. And the front axle was at 4660 which leaves 840lbs.

So, with GAWR adding up to 11500 I should have 1640 total pounds I can add, but only 800 in the bed and I would think adding extra interior cargo would also bump into the rear and front GAWR.

Truck still had a bit of rake...so I feel certain the other 800lbs would have taken it away and then some.

With this i feel the 10000 GVWR can be exceeded...but it is a legit number and something else is the limiter.

The truck loved hauling the load though, got that HEMI right were it wanted to be.

This is a post I have over on the 5th Gen forum.

I totally agree with you, and have heard others do this...but there really isn't that much more capacity(especially with a diesel), but I agree a 2500 could Be registered at a higher weight...but 12k is really pushing it.

I also believe there is something within the makings of the truck that make the 10k more legit. But, we have beat this so much...I just load the hole girl and drive.

Curious to hear more about what you complete.
Thank you for the all this information, very helpful!

Just to clarify, I have a 6k FAWR and 6040 RAWR. which is 12040 but I agree with you in saying 12k is definitely pushing it.. I do believe the air ride will push more weight to equal out thru the truck itself, as not all weight attributes to the rear axle. But I am curious, do you have air ride or just coils on your 2500?

Just what I have discovered is the axle, tires, rims and frame are not a limiting factor of the GAWR, its the suspension and sometimes braking.

However, the 2500 and 3500 are identical with braking parts so that isn't a limiting factor here either. But you are very correct, you cannot exceed your RAWR, even with you not exceeding your FAWR you cannot add more weight. I am not sure if you can shift weight or if air ride will essentially do that for you but in theory it should help with that balancing act, at least I would think.

I will update once I do the register but after looking at all of the components of the truck and matching part numbers from 2018 3500 gen (Just the axle as they used 11.5 AAM that year, 10k gross rating) to the 2019 3500 gen (Frame, Braking, tires, rims). It's identical except for the 5 link suspension and 12 AAM axle ( 10500 I believe, might be more but that doesn't really come into play here).

Which is why I concluded that is the suspension weakest link, so if you are able to upgrade your suspension than wouldn't you essentially be able to match the same numbers as a 3500 payload? As the RAWR on a 3500 is 7000k but has a 2200 more payload than a 2500. This is a big question for me, since only 1k in the RAWR is higher than 2500, where is that additional 1k payload coming from to total to 2200 pounds. But I believe this is how you know its based on class, not capability as the GVWR on a 3500 Megacab is 12300 with a GAWR of 13k.

Also, If the 2500 GVWR was only 700 pounds away from its GAWR like the 3500, it would be 11340. But its actually 2040 pounds less than its GAWR of 12040. If there is a truly limiting factor (Which I cannot find comparing parts) than I would definitely like to know.

Last edited:

HomelessBound

Reaction score
A 2500 crew cab with the 6' bed is 238". That's shorter than many 1/2 tons with the 6' beds. The 6.4 with the ZF 8 speed is turning nearly what the smaller trucks are getting unloaded, but also has a nice big tank for towing. Also with a 1500 and over 500lbs tongue weight, you need a weight distribution hitch according to the manufacturers.

Add up your hitch weight, you, your family, your tools, the chairs and EZ up, generator, etc... that go in the back of the truck. Don't forget 200lbs for a cap, your hitch, bed slides, or anything else you use. You'll find 1/2 tons run out of payload fast - almost as fast as they run out of gas when towing into a headwind.

I drove 2500/3500 both with air and without followed by a new 250. The 250 rode about like the 3500 without air - not fun. 3500 with air was better, 2500 on coils even better, and 2500 on air was almost as good of a ride as a modern 1/2 ton, except on certain uneven pavement you felt the weight through the front suspension being a little harsh.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
But I am curious, do you have air ride or just coils on your 2500?
I have coils, and mine is a 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Longbed Tradesman with a 6.4l HEMI, to clarify that aswell.

The 2019 has about 200 more lbs capacity of the bat with the weight savings.

Love these discussions as we keep finding new and helpful info, and we have weeded through many urban legends.

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Also I am seeing Laramie 2500s with the cummins with over 2000lbs payload, which isn't as good as the ~3000 the gas gets, but certainly useable if your trailer isn't too light. The only thing holding back the cummins is going to be how it competes against the new Duramax / Powerstroke diesel combos in efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread