Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 electric popping sound? See video on page 2 for more!

Vangad

Reaction score
So I picked up my 2023 Laramie 2500 and when I shut the truck totally off there’s like this popping sound very similar to when I used to hook up my stereo speakers at home when the wire first made contact with the female plug in. I sat several minutes and pop 30 seconds later pop. This just keeps going and I thought when the truck is off all the juice is gone but I still get the electronic pop. Anyone had something similar?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Diesel?

Are you sure it’s thru the speakers?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So I picked up my 2023 Laramie 2500 and when I shut the truck totally off there’s like this popping sound very similar to when I used to hook up my stereo speakers at home when the wire first made contact with the female plug in. I sat several minutes and pop 30 seconds later pop. This just keeps going and I thought when the truck is off all the juice is gone but I still get the electronic pop. Anyone had something similar?
Does it sound like when you put a needle on a record? When you hear this sound, does the instrument cluster wake up? This sound defines when the bus fully wakes up, and if it is repeatedly happening every 30 seconds, there is an issue with something trying to keep all the modules awake.

Vangad

Reaction score
No I am not sure where it’s coming from yet I just used that analogy because the sound it makes reminds me of a wire pop when it first makes contact when amplified through a speaker…the noise sounds just like that but right now I’m clueless. Been working since picking up the truck so haven’t been able to do a deep dive yet The strange thing is it pops once then twenty thirty seconds pops once and just follows that sequence. I sat in my truck at least 15-2.0 minutes after completely shutting it off and that noise never quit.

Vangad

Reaction score
Yes
Does it sound like when you put a needle on a record? When you hear this sound, does the instrument cluster wake up? This sound defines when the bus fully wakes up, and if it is repeatedly happening every 30 seconds, there is an issue with something trying to keep all the modules awake.

Vangad

Reaction score
Also I didn’t see anything wake up, it all looks ported down

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Also I didn’t see anything wake up, it all looks ported down
I’d put an ammeter on the battery cable and make sure current draw isn’t spiking up when you hear that sound.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok here is another part of the mystery the PRESS BRAKE AND PUSH BUTTON TO START MESSAGE ON THE DASH…is staying lit all the time after shutting truck off.

Is there a key fob in the truck?

Vangad

Reaction score
Is there a key fob in the truck?
Nope…they gave me two. I left them far away inside the house walked to the truck and sure enough “press brake and push button “ still lit up inside. Makes zero sense

Vangad

Reaction score
OK, I'll be that guy that asks if you pushed all the fuses in tightly and checked the underhood grounds?
Well the Laramie upped the ante on me. I mentioned it in another post. The menu bar on the drivers side has froze up, totally non functional, when I turn the truck off the ”press brake & push start button” is lit up and will not shut off. It’s like my new truck has a virus. In addition to what you mentioned would it help to disconnect the battery and force a reboot. There must be a way. I do have calls into my dealer, not real convenient after 2 days of ownership

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Disconnect the batteries for at least 30 minutes.

Some features will likely be missing when you hook the batteries back up, but they should reappear in a few start cycles. Heated seats, cargo camera, and folding mirrors are some example of what may not work right away. Just an FYI.

Vangad

Reaction score

Some features will likely be missing when you hook the batteries back up, but they should reappear in a few start cycles. Heated seats, cargo camera, and folding mirrors are some example of what may not work right away. Just an FYI.
Thanks I will try that after work. Really appreciate all of you who helped

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I might even consider a capacitive discharge - connect the +/- cables together for a few minutes. Removed from the battery (or batteries) of course.

Lucky156

Reaction score
I've got a 2022 Tradesman that makes the same popping sound through the speakers when I open the doors. I was thinking something was grounding through the interior lights. Sound definitely comes from the speakers.

Beeep

Reaction score
Did you get it working? My new 3500 diesel Laramie doing the exact same thing you’re describing.

Users who are viewing this thread