Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 electric popping sound? See video on page 2 for more!

Vangad

Reaction score
You would not believe what happened. It escalated into rapid popping, radio flashing on and off, truck would not power down and ended up dead as a door nail in my driveway. Only a week old hooked up to a tow truck and taken in. They’ve had it for two days and still no answers. Now I don’t know if I can trust it

Vangad

Reaction score
If anyone wants a small taste of what I’m dealing. with go here
Once you see it click my profile to see other videos for more details. One of the videos I posted (I believe it’s part 5) I wrote the details of the events with my new 2500 in the description area. I’ve contacted my dealer..they are shocked and sound like they might bail me out. We shall see. I’ve filed a case with Chrysler and I am posting my videos wherever I can to show their lack of quality control. This will be a dogfight!!!

Lucky156

Reaction score
Did you get it working? My new 3500 diesel Laramie doing the exact same thing you’re describing.
Whatever is causing it is also causing the radio to dump all my station presets. I'm going to contact the dealer because there have been uconnect5 bulletins and I believe recalls. Someone must know what's going on with these systems.

Lucky156

Reaction score
If anyone wants a small taste of what I’m dealing. with go here
Once you see it click my profile to see other videos for more details. One of the videos I posted (I believe it’s part 5) I wrote the details of the events with my new 2500 in the description area. I’ve contacted my dealer..they are shocked and sound like they might bail me out. We shall see. I’ve filed a case with Chrysler and I am posting my videos wherever I can to show their lack of quality control. This will be a dogfight!!!
To hopefully satisfy your curiosity, I was just away for 6 weeks, didn't want to leave the truck unattended because of the air intake grid relay recall, so I disconnected the batteries for the entire time I was away. Got home reconnected the batteries and as soon as I opened the drivers door the pop came through the speakers. It happens when any of the four doors is opened. This also clears all the presets on the radio. Hopefully Ram gets this figured out.

Beeep

Reaction score
You would not believe what happened. It escalated into rapid popping, radio flashing on and off, truck would not power down and ended up dead as a door nail in my driveway. Only a week old hooked up to a tow truck and taken in. They’ve had it for two days and still no answers. Now I don’t know if I can trust it
Wow. Well keep us posted on a fix. I disconnected the battery last night and it seems to reset itself. However after a couple turn on cycles same popping problem came back and the “press brake to turn on car” stays on on the dashboard. It doesn’t affect anything else that I’ve seen except for the navigation. The navigation doesn’t navigate, but I can do routes and see the map, just doesn’t track my location. I’ll definitely be calling the dealer in the morning.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
@Lucky156 the presets dropping is a separate and common issue, it likely doesn’t have anything to do with the popping.

Will_T

Reaction score
Does it sound like when you put a needle on a record? When you hear this sound, does the instrument cluster wake up? This sound defines when the bus fully wakes up, and if it is repeatedly happening every 30 seconds, there is an issue with something trying to keep all the modules awake.
I never had issues to the extent that the OP has had with his new truck. But I had exactly what Jimmy describes. Mine would wake up every so often, (it was way longer than 30 seconds though). Often enough though that if I did not drive the truck for a week or more the battery would be drained enough so that it would not start. The instrument cluster would come to life, the speakers would pop, etc. I finally figured out that my house was close enough to the truck's parking stall that the FOBs were talking to it 24/7. I tested by moving the FOBs over to the other side of the property where they could not reach the truck and that stopped it. I then bought two Faraday containers to store the FOBs in and that solved the problem and it has been fine in the 1-1/2 years since. I also got a battery minder since sometimes I don't drive the truck for several weeks. Probably the battery minder would have been enough to solve the battery drain issue, but I thought it best if the truck was not continually coming to life while parked. In my case, because the issue was much less severe than what is described in this thread, it was an easier solution than dealing with a clueless dealer.

Vangad

Reaction score
I never had issues to the extent that the OP has had with his new truck. But I had exactly what Jimmy describes. Mine would wake up every so often, (it was way longer than 30 seconds though). Often enough though that if I did not drive the truck for a week or more the battery would be drained enough so that it would not start. The instrument cluster would come to life, the speakers would pop, etc. I finally figured out that my house was close enough to the truck's parking stall that the FOBs were talking to it 24/7. I tested by moving the FOBs over to the other side of the property where they could not reach the truck and that stopped it. I then bought two Faraday containers to store the FOBs in and that solved the problem and it has been fine in the 1-1/2 years since. I also got a battery minder since sometimes I don't drive the truck for several weeks. Probably the battery minder would have been enough to solve the battery drain issue, but I thought it best if the truck was not continually coming to life while parked. In my case, because the issue was much less severe than what is described in this thread, it was an easier solution than dealing with a clueless dealer.
Wow. Well keep us posted on a fix. I disconnected the battery last night and it seems to reset itself. However after a couple turn on cycles same popping problem came back and the “press brake to turn on car” stays on on the dashboard. It doesn’t affect anything else that I’ve seen except for the navigation. The navigation doesn’t navigate, but I can do routes and see the map, just doesn’t track my location. I’ll definitely be calling the dealer in the morning.

Vangad

Reaction score
Ok guys here’s the latest. After numerous calls to Ram Cares (they really don’t)with no calls being returned I called my service dealer today and said I’ve sent messages left several request for callbacks and NOTHING RETURNED. They’ve had the truck since last Thursday…Today is Tuesday. I demanded to talk to a live person and they were almost hesitant to comply but I finally got one. She said they started by unplugging all the connectors and through process of elimination figure out which module is malfunctioning and causing the truck not to go to sleep. (Perfect terminology for this issue)…Turns out it’s the steering control module which is defective and THERE IS A BULLETIN OUT ON THIS DEFECT. Now the kicker according to my service people nobody has the module and my truck could be down for weeks. They also said about 4 weeks ago another truck with exact same problem was worked on and the module fixed it. Well we shall see about that (call me skeptical? Yes I am). So I’m still fighting Ram Cares, a case is open they assigned a new case manager today, one who might return a phone call? We shall see. I’m assuming once again we are bowing down to China to get parts? Unless any of you see it differently I guess I’m at the mercy of that parts arrival. I just feel like I’m owed something because of this inconvenience.

baker01

Reaction score
My 2022 Limited Longhorn 3500 makes the same popping sound. I think what you have may be two separate issues. Let us know if you still have the popping issue after the steering control module replacement.

Lucky156

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love to hear also. I've suddenly developed an issue where the license plate lights won't go off.

Lucky156

Reaction score
@Lucky156 the presets dropping is a separate and common issue, it likely doesn’t have anything to do with the popping.
Do you know if there is a remedy to that common issue? I'm new to this new generation of Ram's so I not up to speed with all that's going on with them.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know if there is a remedy to that common issue? I'm new to this new generation of Ram's so I not up to speed with all that's going on with them.

Mine seem to have quit dropping with the .161 update.

Vangad

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love to hear also. I've suddenly developed an issue where the license plate lights won't go off.
Ok everyone…I believe when I escalated with Ram Cares they dug deep and found a warehouse that had my steering control module. I’ve had the truck a couple of weeks. Problem solved. At first I was skeptical waiting for something to let go but it’s doing well so far. I spoke to my brother who is part of a Ram Challenger group and one of those members had my issue with his Challenger. Dodge/Ram knows darn well about

Vangad

Reaction score
Ok everyone…I believe when I escalated with Ram Cares they dug deep and found a warehouse that had my steering control module. I’ve had the truck a couple of weeks. Problem solved. At first I was skeptical waiting for something to let go but it’s doing well so far. I spoke to my brother who is part of a Ram Challenger group and one of those members had my issue with his Challenger. Dodge/Ram knows darn well about this but are remaining quiet

Lucky156

Reaction score
Not sure what's going on with the license plate lights, but I pulled the connectors off both lights, disconnected the batteries, reconnected the lights, left batteries disconnected for about 20 minutes, reconnected the batteries and the lights are off. Fingers crossed.

Lucky156

Reaction score
Update on my 2022 3500. Went into the dealer yesterday for popping through speakers, radio dropping presets and clock time, and my license plate lights randomly turned themselves on and wouldn't go off. Dealer notified me that they're replacing the Body Control Module and the radio. They're ordering the parts, I'll report the results when work is done.

Users who are viewing this thread