Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour Regens No Longer Happen

waveslayer

Reaction score
Why do you think it doesn’t work right?

The percentage thru OBD is a different thing than the gauge.
What's the gauge telling us then? Curious why have it if it doesn't work

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the gauge telling us then? Curious why have it if it doesn't work

It works just fine. It’s telling you how your driving style affects DPF loading.

It doesn’t tell you time until the next regen, which would be nice but it’s not its purpose.

Jay P

Reaction score
Why do you think it doesn’t work right?

The percentage thru OBD is a different thing than the gauge.
I have never seen mine go higher than 1/3 to 1/2. It would be useful if it would show the same thing my iDash shows so you know when a full DPF is close to going into regen (short of the 24hr regen). GM chose not to show anything DPF related and not sure what Ford shows on the dash. I would rather just see some indication an active regen is in progress (no gauge).

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen mine go higher than 1/3 to 1/2. It would be useful if it would show the same thing my iDash shows so you know when a full DPF is close to going into regen (short of the 24hr regen). GM chose not to show anything DPF related and not sure what Ford shows on the dash. I would rather just see some indication an active regen is in progress (no gauge).

Under normal circumstances it shouldn’t ever show full, as that means you have an issue. DPF loading triggers a regen around 1/2, so it sounds like yours is working normally.

My 18 didn’t have a gauge and the 22 does. It’s useful and worth having. I also like my CTS3 for easier indications of an active regen.

Jay P

Reaction score
Under normal circumstances it shouldn’t ever show full, as that means you have an issue. DPF loading triggers a regen around 1/2, so it sounds like yours is working normally.

My 18 didn’t have a gauge and the 22 does. It’s useful and worth having. I also like my CTS3 for easier indications of an active regen.
My issue is likely my engineering background for wanting accurate readings.... lol

Jay

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My issue is likely my engineering background for wanting accurate readings.... lol

Jay

It’s accurate… so what’s the issue?

It sounds like you don’t understand what it’s telling you thou.

Jay P

Reaction score
It’s accurate… so what’s the issue?

It sounds like you don’t understand what it’s telling you thou.
I do understand how it works. I want real numbers, not what it's showing. To me it's like looking at a temp or pressure gauge that shows low/normal/high. There is whole thread on that gauge so it's not just me. Ram would have been better off without that gauge in my opinion. If you like it and use it that fine.
My background is nuclear engineering. Can you imagine looking at primary coolant temp and just seeing it's normal and not a real number?

Jay

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I do understand how it works. I want real numbers, not what it's showing. To me it's like looking at a temp or pressure gauge that shows low/normal/high. There is whole thread on that gauge so it's not just me. Ram would have been better off without that gauge in my opinion. If you like it and use it that fine.
My background is nuclear engineering. Can you imagine looking at primary coolant temp and just seeing it's normal and not a real number?

Jay

It’s soot loading, which has always been percentage based. So in that regards it is a real number, and doesn’t run like primary coolant temp would. Think of it like a fuel tank gauge, unless you want that to read gallons and not like it does.

John Jensen

Reaction score
And I just looked at an updated iDash PID list from Banks for the 2021 6.7 (below). It actually looks like there are a few other Emissions PIDs that might help figure this out. A couple, like DPFDIS and DPFTIM seem like they are looking at historical data so that might be helpful. I will have to work on this tomorrow. I seem to remember that when I look on my actual iDash, I don't find all the PIDs that are listed here.

View attachment 54428
The REGEN-DPF Regen status PID would be the one to watch. It will tell you if it is regening or not. I use an Edge CTS3 to monitor that PID and it is always accurate. I also monitor the % soot level and a regen takes place whenever it hits 100% soot. My 2020 HO EVIC gauge has never left 0 but it accurately reports a regen on progress

Jay P

Reaction score
It’s soot loading, which has always been percentage based. So in that regards it is a real number, and doesn’t run like primary coolant temp would. Think of it like a fuel tank gauge, unless you want that to read gallons and not like it does.
I would actually like to see gallons instead of 1/2 - 3/4 etc but the tank is not a uniform shape so the level measurement is not accurate enough..... lol
Ram does a much better job of DEF level than GM or Ford do.

Jay

Will_T

Reaction score
the iDash said the dpf was at 70%. I'm at 75% as of yesterday and the truck's dpf gauge hasn't moved but registers a little bit... I'm watching it and will report back.

The percentage reported thru the PID also takes hours into account, so it can go to 100% after 24 hours but never register on the EVIC. At that point you get a regen.

For @waveslayer which PID on the iDash are you reading that says 70%? Is it the one in the top right of my photo below? And @AH64ID Are you referring to the same PID as the top right one on mine?

That is the PID that I thought was maybe only showing what % of time has elapsed on the countdown timer to the next regen? Mine is actually at 96% now so even though I can't make any sense of it in terms of "24 hours", I am assuming that when that number climbs from its current 96% to 100%, a regen will start.

I am going to look for the Delta Pressure "DPFDP1" and add that in place of the Torque Converter one that is there but not necessary to me. Are there any other PIDs that any of you would recommend I add besides those three?

Now the other PID I have set in the box just below the DPFRG% stays at zero just like the EVIC so I was assuming they must be reading the same thing?

1680459091265.png

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
For @waveslayer which PID on the iDash are you reading that says 70%? Is it the one in the top right of my photo below? And @AH64ID Are you referring to the same PID as the top right one on mine?

That is the PID that I thought was maybe only showing what % of time has elapsed on the countdown timer to the next regen? Mine is actually at 96% now so even though I can't make any sense of it in terms of "24 hours", I am assuming that when that number climbs from its current 96% to 100%, a regen will start.

I am gong to look for the Delta Pressure "DPFDP1" and add that in place of the Torque Converter one that is there but not necessary to me. Are there any other PIDs that any of you would recommend I add besides those three?

Now the other PID I have set in the box just below the DPFRG% stays at zero just like the EVIC so I was assuming they must be reading the same thing?

View attachment 54458

It appears to be the same PID.

I have found that it takes both soot loading and time into account, and for how I drive the soot loading makes it move around a lot below 45% and above 45% it’s time based.

Will_T

Reaction score
The REGEN-DPF Regen status PID would be the one to watch. It will tell you if it is regening or not. I use an Edge CTS3 to monitor that PID and it is always accurate. I also monitor the % soot level and a regen takes place whenever it hits 100% soot. My 2020 HO EVIC gauge has never left 0 but it accurately reports a regen on progress

Yes I do watch the Regen status ON/OFF PID since that and the EVIC DPF screen will tell you when you are in a regen. My original point is that my truck has gone much more than 24 hours now without a regen.

I suspect that when you say you are monitoring "%soot level and a regen takes place whenever it hits 100% soot", what you mean is that on your CTS3 you are watching the same PID I have set in my top right box? And that is the one that I now believe does not monitor soot level at all, but is reporting what % of the set time has passed towards your next regen. When mine moves up from 96% to 100%, it will have clocked off 100% of whatever time is being monitored by the truck and a regen will begin.

Edit: Specifically, my truck has now gone about 49 hours without a regen. I am sure I have not missed it regening as I have had the DPF EVIC displaying and have not seen the message. Also I habitually glance at the iDash as I drive and have not seen the ON/OFF switch go to ON. It is possible I missed it I guess but I am as certain as I can be that I have not.

Last edited:

Jay P

Reaction score
Since this DPFRG% stays at zero, I'm guessing you will see that the delta pressure is going to show zero or a very low number and not change. The delta pressure is the only actual measurement of soot load and this is what the ECU uses to calculate the percentage number you see on your iDash (along with some other actual values). The differential pressure sensor is mounted above the DPF heat shield with hoses going to the inlet and outlet of the DPF. If you are going to look at the sensor yourself be careful. The heat causes the connector to get brittle. Not sure why Ram put the sensor above the DPF since the heat can be an issue. Both GM and Ford mount the sensor away from the exhaust system.

Jay

John Jensen

Reaction score
Yes I do watch the Regen status ON/OFF PID since that and the EVIC DPF screen will tell you when you are in a regen. My original point is that my truck has gone much more that 24 hours now without a regen.

I suspect that when you say you are monitoring "%soot level and a regen takes place whenever it hits 100% soot", what you mean is that on your CTS# you are watching the same PID I have set in my top right box? And that is the one that I now believe does not monitor soot level at all, but is reporting what % of the set time has passed towards your next regen. When mine moves up from 96% to 100%, it will have clocked off 100% of whatever time is being monitored by the truck and a regen will begin.
No longer regening on the 24 hour mark remains a mystery.

I don't think my % soot level PID is the same as what you are monitoring. Mine has nothing to do with time, it is formulated from the DPF pressure sensors. And without fail, when it reaches 100% a regen takes place. It also regens every 23-24 hours engine time.

Will_T

Reaction score
If you are going to look at the sensor yourself be careful. The heat causes the connector to get brittle. Not sure why Ram put the sensor above the DPF since the heat can be an issue. Both GM and Ford mount the sensor away from the exhaust system.
That's great, another thing to worry about sending you off to limp mode I guess.

Will_T

Reaction score
No longer regening on the 24 hour mark remains a mystery.

I don't think my % soot level PID is the same as what you are monitoring. Mine has nothing to do with time, it is formulated from the DPF pressure sensors. And without fail, when it reaches 100% a regen takes place. It also regens every 23-24 hours engine time.
Well I am not sure that the PID in the top right box is indeed monitoring time. I am guessing just because the other PID and the EVIC show zero most of the time so why would that one have climbed to 96% if it was monitoring soot load? Also I have seen it said in other threads that a regen will be triggered long before your true soot load gets to 100%. Not sure if that is correct but it makes sense.

Jay P

Reaction score
The one on the EVIC is the one that takes time into the reading, not the one on an iDash or Edge CTS.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread