Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram HD

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
370HP and 850ft lbs is plenty for anything that the truck can handle the chassis cabs get 360HP and 800ft lbs and can haul over 40k…. More power means less longevity to the engine….

Well, you'd not have the payload, but could pull 40K with 4.89 gears too...

Enve46

Reaction score
Does anyone think they will really have a gas 6.7? Would be interesting to see... Im still hopeful they have a new V8 they're developing but Ill be honest, Im really enjoying the 23 PW I got. More so than I was anticipating so it would have to be something really impressive to make me want to change. While the 6.4 Hemi may not compete with the Godzilla 7.3 I dont really find myself saying, "Hm this thing is gutless, I need more power..." but I do WANT more power cause the TRX destroyed my senses

jsalbre

Reaction score
Does anyone think they will really have a gas 6.7? Would be interesting to see... Im still hopeful they have a new V8 they're developing but Ill be honest, Im really enjoying the 23 PW I got. More so than I was anticipating so it would have to be something really impressive to make me want to change. While the 6.4 Hemi may not compete with the Godzilla 7.3 I dont really find myself saying, "Hm this thing is gutless, I need more power..." but I do WANT more power cause the TRX destroyed my senses
I doubt there will be another V8 developed. In fact, I doubt the HDs will see the Hurricane TT6 either.

I’d bet money that the 1500 hybrid “Ramcharger” is a test bed for the powertrain that will eventually end up in the HD trucks. The Ramcharger has HD level payload (2600+ lbs) and near-HD towing capacity (14k lbs). It’ll likely weigh in at about the same as current gas HD trucks as well, so it won’t get tossed around by a large trailer like current half tons. Crazy EV levels of HP and torque (663/615) from a standstill, ability to run short distances without burning fuel, with the ability to fuel up at a gas station instead of having to charge at an EV charger, and it can act as a giant generator to run your worksite tools? I’ve been saying for years that the path for “real truck work” for the future is hybrid and this proves it. Make an off-road oriented version and I’ll buy it tomorrow.

Enve46

Reaction score
I doubt there will be another V8 developed. In fact, I doubt the HDs will see the Hurricane TT6 either.

I’d bet money that the 1500 hybrid “Ramcharger” is a test bed for the powertrain that will eventually end up in the HD trucks. The Ramcharger has HD level payload (2600+ lbs) and near-HD towing capacity (14k lbs). It’ll likely weigh in at about the same as current gas HD trucks as well, so it won’t get tossed around by a large trailer like current half tons. Crazy EV levels of HP and torque (663/615) from a standstill, ability to run short distances without burning fuel, with the ability to fuel up at a gas station instead of having to charge at an EV charger, and it can act as a giant generator to run your worksite tools? I’ve been saying for years that the path for “real truck work” for the future is hybrid and this proves it. Make an off-road oriented version and I’ll buy it tomorrow.
Not saying you're wrong but I dont have interest in hybrid/EV anything. Doesn't do it for me. I will say that this concept is far more attractive, if I can even say its that, than anything else I see out there in that realm.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
The Ramcharger has HD level payload (2600+ lbs) and near-HD towing capacity (14k lbs). It’ll likely weigh in at about the same as current gas HD trucks as well
Keep in mind, the 1500 has 1400 lbs of GVWR to spare from it’s current GVWR for the ramcharger platform to still be considered a class 2a light duty truck (1500’s, 150’s, half ton, etc).

jsalbre

Reaction score
Keep in mind, the 1500 has 1400 lbs of GVWR to spare from it’s current GVWR for the ramcharger platform to still be considered a class 2a light duty truck (1500’s, 150’s, half ton, etc).
Oh, I’m not saying it’ll actually “be” an HD truck, just that I think that it’s a pretty good indicator of where it’s going.

Xflight29

Reaction score
You could use the mute function right? I'm not sure if there is a mute function on the 12" screen, but there is for the 8". I've never had the need to display the nav without music though, so I'm not sure if turn by turn would still work audibly.
The 12 inch has a mute button.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My 12" also has separate volume for Media and NAV. You just have to do it when the NAV voice is talking.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
fwiw after buying one of these. I'd be happy w a full a'la cart order menu. 2 things are super annoying. 1) wanting a minimal thing thats only available in a large, expensive, package w crap I don't want and 2) buying a vehicle that is significantly more expensive than the last (from the same company) and losing features. If I'm ordering, I should be able to customize. I get that certain things this isn't feasible, but with aesthetic things is should be!

MrAngus

Reaction score
370HP and 850ft lbs is plenty for anything that the truck can handle the chassis cabs get 360HP and 800ft lbs and can haul over 40k…. More power means less longevity to the engine….
Yep. All 3 of the HD American brands detune the chassis cab models to gain reliability and longevity.

johanh13

Reaction score
I highly doubt this will ever happen so long as the PW and 2500 share the same rear axle. The coils being more inboard is a requirement for max articulation which is a selling point of the Power Wagon (it's basically a large jeep). Plus, you can currently add airbags in a more externally mounted position, so it doesn't really add any benefit, it only removes articulation. This may not be an important selling point for non off road folks, but it was one of the key reasons I purchased my 2500.

Now, if they decided to make a second axle/frame setup for the PW, and offered it in a diesel, that could be interesting. I just don't see that happening personally.

I think moving the coils outboard AND eliminating the rear antisway bar would result in similar articulation. This would also produce less swaying with top-heavy loads (that is why leaf-sprung vehicles do better with top-heavy loads; because the springs are as far outboard as possible, and most don't have any rear antisway bar).

here are a few pictures, one shows my 2500 with inboard coils and rear antisway bar, and virtually no articulation. the others shows my son-in-law's raptor (coils are max outboard) with lots of articulation....

Attachments

• ram2500.png
    ram2500.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • raptor.png
    raptor.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • raptor2.png
    raptor2.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 25
  • raptor4.png
    raptor4.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 25
  • raptor3.png
    raptor3.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think moving the coils outboard AND eliminating the rear antisway bar would result in similar articulation. This would also produce less swaying with top-heavy loads (that is why leaf-sprung vehicles do better with top-heavy loads; because the springs are as far outboard as possible, and most don't have any rear antisway bar).

here are two pictures, one shows my 2500 with inboard coils and rear antisway bar, and virtually no articulation. the other shows my son-in-law's raptor (coils are max outboard) with lots of articulation....
2 very different purpose built trucks but your limitation is not the coil position its the sway bar/ bump stop/ control arm setup. Simply removing your rear sway bar alone would allow you to stuff your tires far more

johanh13

Reaction score
2 very different purpose built trucks but your limitation is not the coil position its the sway bar/ bump stop/ control arm setup. Simply removing your rear sway bar alone would allow you to stuff your tires far more

I agree with the different purposes. However, my point is that they killed the articulation by adding the rear sway bar (especially on the power wagon, no disconnect on the rear!). A better option is no sway bar and springs far outboard...

Also, a few additional notes; moving the springs inboard on the Raptor would result in no additional articulation, one side is bottomed out on the bumpstop, the other side the shock absorber is fully extended.
On the Ram, it was still at least 1" from the bumpstop on one side, the other side the shock was not even fully extended! I know because we stopped and stepped on the tire in the air, on the Ram it moved down more. On the raptor it only changed the front articulation when we added weight to the rear tire in the air....

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I agree with the different purposes. However, my point is that they killed the articulation by adding the rear sway bar (especially on the power wagon, no disconnect on the rear!). A better option is no sway bar and springs far outboard...

Also, a few additional notes; moving the springs inboard on the Raptor would result in no additional articulation, one side is bottomed out on the bumpstop, the other side the shock absorber is fully extended.
On the Ram, it was still at least 1" from the bumpstop on one side, the other side the shock was not even fully extended! I know because we stopped and stepped on the tire in the air, on the Ram it moved down more. On the raptor it only changed the front articulation when we added weight to the rear tire in the air....
Thats the sway bar though, the set up in the rams is the same as the 1/2 tons and the jeeps they have no issue where the 2500 has a massive sway bar due to the higher weight capacity.

After building purpose built rock crawlers over the years i know what you are after but trying to compare a craptor to a 2500HD pickup is not apples to apples. That being said you can make some quick disconnect sway bar links for the rear for under 50$ and it will do everything you need off road plus haul top heavy things on road.

Last edited:

Enve46

Reaction score

The Power Wagon is still an HD truck that is advertised as still doing truck things, towing hauling etc… the Raptor is not really. Not saying you’re wrong but buying an HD truck for articulation isn’t exactly its purpose. As a Power Wagon owner currently, I am glad it’s set up the way it is and if I want more out of it I know I’ll be sacrificing towing hauling. I would say majority of Power Wagon owners want that ability out of the box and will sacrifice articulation for it.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The Power Wagon is still an HD truck that is advertised as still doing truck things, towing hauling etc… the Raptor is not really. Not saying you’re wrong but buying an HD truck for articulation isn’t exactly its purpose. As a Power Wagon owner currently, I am glad it’s set up the way it is and if I want more out of it I know I’ll be sacrificing towing hauling. I would say majority of Power Wagon owners want that ability out of the box and will sacrifice articulation for it.
The Power Wagon makes enormous sacrifices in payload and towing already. A decently spaced half ton is rated higher in both payload and towing than a PW.

johanh13

Reaction score
Thats the sway bar though, the set up in the rams is the same as the 1/2 tons and the jeeps they have no issue where the 2500 has a massive sway bar due to the higher weight capacity.

After building purpose built rock crawlers over the years i know what you are after but trying to compare a craptor to a 2500HD pickup is not apples to apples. That being said you can make some quick disconnect sway bar links for the rear for under 50$ and it will do everything you need off road plus haul top heavy things on road.

True, lot's of easy mods will improve the off-road capabilities... The point I was trying to make is about the placement of the coil springs...

On another off-road trip, my brother brought his 2023 Ford F350 SRW. He disconnected the front swaybar (no rear swaybar), and his front axle articulated quite a bit more than mine.

I have a set of power wagon front radius arms I am thinking about installing. It will be interesting to see how much better my Ram will do with those installed and both swaybars disconnected....

Attachments

• radius arms.png
    radius arms.png
    3 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

johanh13

Reaction score

Ram should also do a rear swaybar disconnect for the Power Wagon! That would improve the rear articulation dramatically.

I love having a Diesel 2500 because it's so versatile; I can take in on a road trip in comfort and get decent fuel economy. I can go camping and off-roading with it and does OK. AND, it does amazing pulling bumper pull and gooseneck trailers (don't have any fifth-wheel trailers, so I don't have any swaying problems)....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
True, lot's of easy mods will improve the off-road capabilities... The point I was trying to make is about the placement of the coil springs...

On another off-road trip, my brother brought his 2023 Ford F350 SRW. He disconnected the front swaybar (no rear swaybar), and his front axle articulated quite a bit more than mine.

I have a set of power wagon front radius arms I am thinking about installing. It will be interesting to see how much better my Ram will do with those installed and both swaybars disconnected....
I will agree outboard coils would be better but due to real-estate and requirements for the frame/ coils its not possible

Users who are viewing this thread