Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Trailer Towing Cameras & Surround Cameras - Available or Not? And how to order a config that will work...

Grey65

Reaction score
How long is the DRVM 3.0 camera cable used on a 2023/2024?

About to order a 2024 3500, but if camera cable isn’t long entro put camera on the rear of my 2024 35’ Brinkley there is not reason for me to order it.

pr3dict

Reaction score
The single rear view camera is like 75 feet or something like that. If you don't get it at time of order you can never get it because they don't offer it as a standlone product to buy after you buy the truck. WHICH IS FKL@#$J@#$@J# WILD and I am so angry....

I have an idea @phatboy64 Can you hitup your dealer and tell them your camera broke out of the blue and you need a warranty replacement? I'm curious how they handle warranty replacements on a part that has no orderable part number.

M-Pressive

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the single DRVM camera kit that would go to the new 24s? As we all know the 2023 part number is discontinued.

I was told today by RAM that the 24 may be an option but they could not supply a part number. Anyone know the part number for the 2024? I know it is an option and should just come in a box.

masterbeat

Reaction score
@pr3dict I love this idea, lol. I've literally thought about finding a 2023 truck for sale on a dealer lot that shows it has the tow camera option, ask for a test drive then swipe out the camera. I'm so #$#^%$*#(&^%# pissed off at RAM right now. It's insane that i dropped $108,000 on a fully loaded 3500 LIMITED with every feature and during my order window the DVRM tow camera was not available, so I didn't get it, and now it's not an option. The #1 reason I ordered this new RAM was for all the tow cameras and the DVRM single trailer camera that is ADVERTISED all over their sites. WTF RAM!

@M-Pressive if anyone does find out about getting a 2024 DVRM let's try it!

Ziggy

Reaction score
So let me ask this out loud and see what you all have to say.

The RAM website is advertising and making the camera a key selling point and feature.......yet if you buy the fancy new truck, you don't actually get this feature.

Now if a lady can sue for strawberry pop tarts not actually having strawberry in it, and winning the case, how is this not a clear-cut case of false advertising? I am almost toying with the idea of seeing if a lawyer will take this on as a class action. Not trying to be petty, but 100k is a lot for being told, oops, you don't actually get THAT feature.

masterbeat

Reaction score

The RAM website is advertising and making the camera a key selling point and feature.......yet if you buy the fancy new truck, you don't actually get this feature.

Now if a lady can sue for strawberry pop tarts not actually having strawberry in it, and winning the case, how is this not a clear-cut case of false advertising? I am almost toying with the idea of seeing if a lawyer will take this on as a class action. Not trying to be petty, but 100k is a lot for being told, oops, you don't actually get THAT feature.
I will 100% join this lawsuit.

phatboy64

Reaction score
The single rear view camera is like 75 feet or something like that. If you don't get it at time of order you can never get it because they don't offer it as a standlone product to buy after you buy the truck. WHICH IS FKL@#$J@#$@J# WILD and I am so angry....

I have an idea @phatboy64 Can you hitup your dealer and tell them your camera broke out of the blue and you need a warranty replacement? I'm curious how they handle warranty replacements on a part that has no orderable part numbe

i just saw this. I will call the and see what they say

pr3dict

Reaction score

I went through this logic earlier on another thread about a false advertising claim. I'd be 100% willing to join in as a plaintiff if you find a lawyer willing to take the case.

Post in thread 'Tow Mode camera 2022 vs 2023' https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/tow-mode-camera-2022-vs-2023.13887/post-266587

pr3dict

Reaction score
Well thats the beauty of how our legal system works. I, a plaintiff, would present facts that said the DRVM 3.0 was ADVERTISED to be able to show the rear of a trailer with a camera that FCA had decided to stop/not sell. That advertised feature swayed me as a consumer to buy their product vs their competitor. After purchasing said product, the advertised feature is unusable or otherwise does not exist. I would call that "False advertising, or misleading advertising"....

According to el google.

So, to recap. They advertised a feature of DRVM that we cannot use. We don't need to have purchased the tow mode camera for us to have standing here. The fact that we want to purchase it and cannot is enough in my mind for us to fulfil the prong of proving misleading or false advertising.

Now the other side is the defense. If you're the defense and arguing for FCA, and saying, "Well the DRVM can do what we said it could. Just because you can't buy that extra piece that is required does not mean we didnt fulfil our advertised feature." Also your other speculative argument that "will likely become available and hopefully soon"....

Now a judge would be the one to decide if this is fair and who has a stronger argument based on how the laws are written.

Gotta love our legal system and how we both have our own facts and perspective and a judge gets to pick which one is more "right".

There are legal precedents where companies have been sued for false advertising when features technically exist but are otherwise unusable or not as advertised.

One such case involved Apple and its claims about iPhone storage. In 2015, a class-action lawsuit was filed against Apple alleging that the company misrepresented the storage capacity of its iPhones, iPads, and iPods. The plaintiffs argued that while the devices were advertised with 16 GB of storage, the actual user-available storage was significantly less due to the size of the pre-installed iOS operating system. In essence, the advertised feature (16 GB storage) technically existed, but a substantial portion was not usable for consumers' personal storage as many would expect. The outcome of the case was a settlement agreement.

Another case involved Sony and its PlayStation 3 console. In 2010, Sony released a firmware update for the PlayStation 3 that removed the "OtherOS" feature. This feature, which was advertised as allowing users to install and run Linux on their PlayStation 3, technically existed when the consoles were sold, but was later rendered unusable by Sony's update. Sony faced a class-action lawsuit over this issue and ultimately agreed to a settlement.

Again - We paid ~+-$100,000 for a truck. Every feature advertised goes into that decision. Not just one or two line items listed on a window sticker. It's the whole package. Screw up one of those and you can convince a judge/jury/whomever that the feature was a contributor to that decision and "I" would argue that you have standing for a case. Laugh all you want, but unless you can convince me that you know exactly how a judge/jury/whomever will rule on a case, then it doesnt matter.

Here's my logic lol

GMM_11

Reaction score
Hey all, any updates?

I had a thought..
Would getting a replacement 2023 CHMSL rear view camera, and put it in the housing for the trailer camera..

Would that work? Since the camera would be recognized? Or am i off on my thought process…

I just picked up a 360* camera system and the seller sent the trailer rear view camera and aux wiring too.

But so far, nothing has worked.

Even plugging in the 360* system and selecting aux 1, as mentioned previously, it just shows a blue screen and nothing in the camera selection area.. so I’ll be trying to track down a trailer gateway… and ordering stuff for alpha and trying my hand at that…

Alternatively… has anyone thought about.. pulling the coding relating to the DRVM from a 2022 vehicle and replacing that section in a 2023 ecm? Idk if that’s even possible, I just had a shower thought.. lol

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Would getting a replacement 2023 CHMSL rear view camera, and put it I. The housing for the trailer..
Yes, you can get a spare camera for the 2023 DRVM, the coax cable from the 2022 tow mode camera kit (have to look for part number), and print a mount for the camera to mount on a trailer. This is the part number for a 2023 DRVM camera- 68506525AA

GMM_11

Reaction score
Yes, you can get a spare camera for the 2023 DRVM, the coax cable from the 2022 tow mode camera kit (have to look for part number), and print a mount for the camera to mount on a trailer. This is the part number for a 2023 DRVM camera- 68506525AA
I have a complete 22’ trailer drvm kit, P/N 68527599AA. I am not sure of what the 23’ CHMSL DRVM camera looks like, but maybe it’ll fit in the mount/housing for the 22’ camera?

CortexM0

Reaction score
Hey all, any updates?

I had a thought..
Would getting a replacement 2023 CHMSL rear view camera, and put it I. The housing for the trailer..

Would that work? Since the camera would be recognized? Or am i off on my thought process…

I just picked up a 360* camera system and the seller sent the trailer rear view camera and aux wiring too.

But so far, nothing has worked.

Even plugging in the 360* system and selecting aux 1, as mentioned previously, it just shows a blue screen and nothing in the camera selection area.. so I’ll be trying to track down a trailer gateway… and ordering stuff for alpha and trying my hand at that…

Alternatively… has anyone thought about.. pulling the coding relating to the DRVM from a 2022 vehicle and replacing that section in a 2023 ecm? Idk if that’s even possible, I just had a shower thought.. lol
On my 2023, I took the trailer camera system from a 2022 and replaced the camera with the 2023 CHMSL (3rd brake light) camera. Unfortunately the system doesn't recognize this camera connected to the trailer input. I was able to reroute the trailer wiring to the CHMSL input and that worked. So the truck is still getting video from the CHMSL camera, it just happens to be mounted to the back of my trailer. More details here: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/tow-mode-camera-2022-vs-2023.13887/post-262622

Since the video is coming from the CHMSL input and not the trailer, I don't get the view tilt down on reverse, nor am I able to show the "trailer" camera and side view cameras simultaneously.

I put almost 10,000 miles on this trailer camera setup over the summer. It worked flawlessly. Picture quality was great and never experienced any drop-outs.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I have a complete 22’ trailer drvm kit, P/N 68527599AA. I am not sure of what the 23’ CHMSL DRVM camera looks like, but maybe it’ll fit in the mount/housing for the 22’ camera?
The 23 camera is a little different sized than the 22 camera, but should be able to modify the 2022 tow mode camera case somehow to accept the 23 camera.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I wonder if I could just order the entire '22 setup (DRVM, CHMSL, and trailer cam) and use than on my 23. I get the feeling the '23 camera is never going to come out.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I wonder if I could just order the entire '22 setup (DRVM, CHMSL, and trailer cam) and use than on my 23. I get the feeling the '23 camera is never going to come out.
That would definitely work too, if you you don’t have a DRVM to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread