Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Trailer Towing Cameras & Surround Cameras - Available or Not? And how to order a config that will work...

masterbeat

Reaction score
Hey there forum!

I know there have been a variety of threads about the myriad of camera wiring options in 2022, with wired tow mode cameras, digital rear view mirror, surround cameras, etc. In 2022, for a brief time before supply chain issues caused RAM to remove a lot of the options, there was the ability to order a tow package, either through technology groups or tow packages, for:

- wired tow mode camera - this is for plugging into wiring prep for the digital rear view mirror to see in that mirror
- trailer surround camera package - which consisted of 4 cameras for you to place around a tow vehicle to see those cameras in your UConnect in the surround camera view instead of your vehicle cameras.

We are now trying to order a new RAM 2500, and are experiencing these issues:

- wired tow mode camera DOES appear as an option to be added and ordered on the website, but all dealers are telling me they can't find it or order it in their dealer order systems. Is this true, and is it going to come back, and/or if I go ahead and order the new truck with the digital rear view with the Level 1 Technology group, will it have the wiring so that I can order and add this later when it does become available?
- all mention and ability to order the trailer surround camera package seems to have vanished in 2023. is this no longer available at all, or just constrained right now, and same question as above, if I order the Trailer and Technology packages that include the vehicle surround cameras, is there any wiring that is going to exist so that I could hopefully order the trailer surround camera system later?

I've been waiting to get a new 2023 used as a full time tow vehicle towing a large trailer, and having both camera systems (digital rear view and trailer surround) are important. Frustrated that the 2023 order pages seem to be missing these options that were there in 20222.

Thanks for any help!

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hey there forum!

I know there have been a variety of threads about the myriad of camera wiring options in 2022, with wired tow mode cameras, digital rear view mirror, surround cameras, etc. In 2022, for a brief time before supply chain issues caused RAM to remove a lot of the options, there was the ability to order a tow package, either through technology groups or tow packages, for:

- wired tow mode camera - this is for plugging into wiring prep for the digital rear view mirror to see in that mirror
- trailer surround camera package - which consisted of 4 cameras for you to place around a tow vehicle to see those cameras in your UConnect in the surround camera view instead of your vehicle cameras.

We are now trying to order a new RAM 2500, and are experiencing these issues:

- wired tow mode camera DOES appear as an option to be added and ordered on the website, but all dealers are telling me they can't find it or order it in their dealer order systems. Is this true, and is it going to come back, and/or if I go ahead and order the new truck with the digital rear view with the Level 1 Technology group, will it have the wiring so that I can order and add this later when it does become available?
- all mention and ability to order the trailer surround camera package seems to have vanished in 2023. is this no longer available at all, or just constrained right now, and same question as above, if I order the Trailer and Technology packages that include the vehicle surround cameras, is there any wiring that is going to exist so that I could hopefully order the trailer surround camera system later?

I've been waiting to get a new 2023 used as a full time tow vehicle towing a large trailer, and having both camera systems (digital rear view and trailer surround) are important. Frustrated that the 2023 order pages seem to be missing these options that were there in 20222.

Thanks for any help!
The DRVM is basically unavailable right now for anything but Limited and Longhorn. If it has the DRVM it'll have the wiring for the tow mode camera.

Any truck with the surround camera will be wired up to support the trailer surround cameras.

masterbeat

Reaction score
The DRVM is basically unavailable right now for anything but Limited and Longhorn. If it has the DRVM it'll have the wiring for the tow mode camera.

Any truck with the surround camera will be wired up to support the trailer surround cameras.
Hey there, thank you. I am ordering a LIMITED. It's letting me order the digital rearview mirror and the surround camera system (on the vehicle itself). So you're confident that if I order that (planned build attached) - that I will later be able to order the 'wired tow mode camera' and the '4 camera trailer surround camera kit' for the trailer itself later when they do become available? That's all that's important to me is ensuring if I order the truck with this config now I have the wiring necessary to add those later.

This is the planned build:

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yep, you should be good to go.

DPeglow

Reaction score
Hey there, thank you. I am ordering a LIMITED. It's letting me order the digital rearview mirror and the surround camera system (on the vehicle itself). So you're confident that if I order that (planned build attached) - that I will later be able to order the 'wired tow mode camera' and the '4 camera trailer surround camera kit' for the trailer itself later when they do become available? That's all that's important to me is ensuring if I order the truck with this config now I have the wiring necessary to add those later.

This is the planned build:
Cruise throught the last 3-4 pages of the 2023 Order threads pinned at the top of the General Discussion Forum. Lots of us with the XH7 - Tow-Mode Camera (wired) option have had it pulled from our builds and Ram is saying they are no longer offering it as an option currently. I got called by my dealer last week asking if I wanted to move forward with my order without the option or they would refund my deposit since the options I ordered are no longer available. I decided to keep the ball rolling for now and will see how its equipped when it shows up.

masterbeat

Reaction score
Hey forum and @jsalbre - the brand new Ram 3500 Limited arrived today... as discussed above, it was ordered with Limited Level One, Surround Camera, and has all the connections on the bumper (12 pin and digital camera inputs).... does anyone know the part #'s to now order the wired tow mode camera (most important) for us to use with the digital rearview mirror, and also the part # for the trailer surround camera kit?

As mentioned above, at time of ordering, the wired tow mode camera wasn't available as option, but @jsalbre and others seemed to think we'd be fine as with the options ordered it would come wired for it to add and that seems to be the case, but now need part #'s to try and order... hoping we'll soon be out of supply constraints.

Attached is the order and options, it was the only combination of options available to get the DRVM and Tow Technology which was supposed to be able to support the wired tow mode camera (please god..)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 11.33.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 11.33.04 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 42

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hey forum and @jsalbre - the brand new Ram 3500 Limited arrived today... as discussed above, it was ordered with Limited Level One, Surround Camera, and has all the connections on the bumper (12 pin and digital camera inputs).... does anyone know the part #'s to now order the wired tow mode camera (most important) for us to use with the digital rearview mirror, and also the part # for the trailer surround camera kit?

As mentioned above, at time of ordering, the wired tow mode camera wasn't available as option, but @jsalbre and others seemed to think we'd be fine as with the options ordered it would come wired for it to add and that seems to be the case, but now need part #'s to try and order... hoping we'll soon be out of supply constraints.

Attached is the order and options, it was the only combination of options available to get the DRVM and Tow Technology which was supposed to be able to support the wired tow mode camera (please god..)
This document has the 2023 tow mode camera kit part number, and the part numbers of the individual contents of the kit. If it’s available to buy, it will work on your truck without adding anything else.

We’re about to find out tonight or tomorrow if a 2022 tow mode camera will work on a 2023.

The trailer surround view kit is the same as the 2022 kit- 68527709AC (one available in the buy and sell section right now).
Even though your truck has all the wiring for the trailer surround view kit, the trailer gateway for it is not installed (68509331AB).
If your radio camera section is showing AUX 1 and AUX 2 trailer camera soft keys, you will need AlfaOBD to enable the trailer surround view camera system.

masterbeat

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this quick and detailed response with links @Jimmy07 ! Let me know what you find out about the 2022 tow mode camera working! I do have Aux1 and Aux2, so it sounds like I will need to use AlfaOBD. I'll order that. Is it pretty straightforward to use and enable, or do you have a link to a topic where doing this is covered? Thank you!

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this quick and detailed response with links @Jimmy07 ! Let me know what you find out about the 2022 tow mode camera working! I do have Aux1 and Aux2, so it sounds like I will need to use AlfaOBD. I'll order that. Is it pretty straightforward to use and enable, or do you have a link to a topic where doing this is covered? Thank you!
To use AlfaOBD, you need the app for Android from google play store, or Windows download from AlfaOBD.com (no iOS)
You’ll need a Bluetooth OBD interface (vLinker MC recommended)
And you’ll need a security gateway bypass cable (PM me if you need one and I can build it for you).
Other than that, it’s fairly easy to use, just read through the two AlfaOBD threads in the modifications section.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hopefully they find that the 22' camera kit works on the '23s, because the camera kit for '23 shows up on all the parts site as "Nonpart - Mopar" with a status of discontinued.

I need to figure out which DRVM to order as well, and if I need to get a DRVM CVPM.

CortexM0

Reaction score

pr3dict

Reaction score
What needed to be ordered for the truck to come with the gateway?

CortexM0

Reaction score
What needed to be ordered for the truck to come with the gateway?
The 12 pin connector on the rear bumper has two pins used for CANbus communitions. This is how the truck talks to the 360 trailer camera system to pass configuration information and tell it what views to display. The gateway being discussed is for CANbus isolation between the 12-pin connector and truck. As far as I know the only thing that uses these CAN connections is the 360 trailer camera system. And since this camera system hasn't been available on the 2023s, RAM must have decided not to install the gateway.

This is specifically for the 360 trailer camera system, and is not related to the tow mode camera.

Turin

Reaction score
The trailer surround view kit is the same as the 2022 kit- 68527709AC (one available in the buy and sell section right now).
Even though your truck has all the wiring for the trailer surround view kit, the trailer gateway for it is not installed (68509331AB).
If your radio camera section is showing AUX 1 and AUX 2 trailer camera soft keys, you will need AlfaOBD to enable the trailer surround view camera system.
Man has Ram made camera options hopelessly confusing. I just picked up my 2500 and am trying to figure out which options — if any — I have for adding cameras that will integrate with the truck.

My truck has the 12-pin bumper connector. I didn't include either XN1 or XFQ on the build, but apparently the 12-pin is now the default for 2023 models with the 360 surround view system. (Amusingly, my build sheet lists TRAILER TOW W/4-PIN CONNECTOR WIRING.) I see options for AUX1 and AUX2 cameras in the radio. I'm not sure both are actually usable as I have the CHMSL with cargo view camera, but at least one should be. The Mopar trailer camera kit (82215770AB) claims be incompatible with 2023 models. The trailer surround view could be nice (if you can find one) but having to add and configure a gateway to use it is irritating. What's the point if including the 12-pin connector if you can't buy a camera that you can just plug into it and have it work?

masterbeat

Reaction score
Hey @Turin - I share all the same frustrations. It's insane they are making these amazing 2023 trucks and tout in every bit of sales literature and their website all the amazing camera features, but ACTUALLY GETTING THOSE DAMN CAMERAS is next to impossible, even when ordering everything. I ordered a 2023 3500 LIMITED with literally every option possible, digital rearview mirror, surround camera system, etc - but because trailer cameras can't be ordered, it has all of the connections (12 pin and digital), and I'm equally frustrated to find out after I got it and being told in this thread and others it would come with everything that I need, that I still had to order a gateway and now have to flash the system to enable the trailer surround system... why they couldn't have had that gateway there and have it enabled is beyond me. But, @Jimmy07 has been extremely helpful in that regard, and hopefully after I do that this week I'll have trailer surround.

The big question remaining for all of us with 2023 is how the hell do we get a camera for the digital rearview mirror, the main feature I ordered this truck for is to be able to see behind a huge trailer I tow with it. As mentioned, they say the 2022 part is not compatible, but the 2023 part number provided in this thread is "discontinued" last year.

GRRRR - IS THERE GOING TO BE A PART THAT CAN BE ORDERED AND WILL WORK WITH 2023 DRVM? I'm gonna lose it on RAM if not, as I could have stayed with my 2021 just fine, I specifically ordered 2023 to get this and am frustrated I have a brand new truck that doesn't do anything they advertise as far as trailer camera systems.

@jsalbre do you have any updated info on this?

Turin

Reaction score
The big question remaining for all of us with 2023 is how the hell do we get a camera for the digital rearview mirror, the main feature I ordered this truck for is to be able to see behind a huge trailer I tow with it. As mentioned, they say the 2022 part is not compatible, but the 2023 part number provided in this thread is "discontinued" last year.
That's the camera I really wanted but I wasn't willing to step up to a Limited (which would have subsequently required the Cummins diesel) to do it. If you can't even get the camera to go with the digital rearview mirror I'm doubly glad I didn't go that route.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hey @Turin - I share all the same frustrations. It's insane they are making these amazing 2023 trucks and tout in every bit of sales literature and their website all the amazing camera features, but ACTUALLY GETTING THOSE DAMN CAMERAS is next to impossible, even when ordering everything. I ordered a 2023 3500 LIMITED with literally every option possible, digital rearview mirror, surround camera system, etc - but because trailer cameras can't be ordered, it has all of the connections (12 pin and digital), and I'm equally frustrated to find out after I got it and being told in this thread and others it would come with everything that I need, that I still had to order a gateway and now have to flash the system to enable the trailer surround system... why they couldn't have had that gateway there and have it enabled is beyond me. But, @Jimmy07 has been extremely helpful in that regard, and hopefully after I do that this week I'll have trailer surround.

GRRRR - IS THERE GOING TO BE A PART THAT CAN BE ORDERED AND WILL WORK WITH 2023 DRVM? I'm gonna lose it on RAM if not, as I could have stayed with my 2021 just fine, I specifically ordered 2023 to get this and am frustrated I have a brand new truck that doesn't do anything they advertise as far as trailer camera systems.

@jsalbre do you have any updated info on this?
Sorry man, no news from me yet. Honestly I've been too busy to look into this in depth, and knowing I'm going to spend probably well over $1k has pushed it down the list as I have other priorities for my $$$ this summer.

I may end up installing a 2022 DRVM and use the 2022 camera, since all those parts seem to be available, and it won't require the additional DRVMCVPM and a repeater in the trailer wiring. My trailer isn't long enough that I'll need the extra length.

masterbeat

Reaction score
@jsalbre thanks for the update... when you say you'll install a 2022 DRVM - is that in a 2023 vehicle you'll do that? Is that a remote possibility that I could take my 2023 DVRM out and replace with a 2022 one to get a working trailer camera? It's frigging insane we have to that with a brand new 2023 vehicle. RAM needs to get it together and get a working trailer camera for the 2023 models or stop touting and selling this feature...

jsalbre

Reaction score
@jsalbre thanks for the update... when you say you'll install a 2022 DRVM - is that in a 2023 vehicle you'll do that? Is that a remote possibility that I could take my 2023 DVRM out and replace with a 2022 one to get a working trailer camera? It's frigging insane we have to that with a brand new 2023 vehicle. RAM needs to get it together and get a working trailer camera for the 2023 models or stop touting and selling this feature...

That is what I mean. I don't know for a fact it'll work as I'm not aware if anyone has tried so far. If you already have the 2023 DRVM you're going to have other components in place too, so it may require moving/replacing some camera cabling. Maybe @Jimmy07 might have some insight.

Users who are viewing this thread