Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 regens at 130 miles on mixed city/HWY to work and back

dub96

Reaction score
I as well used EGT1 temp for monitoring turbo temps. I use about 450F as a temp to get down to (if needed) before I shut it down - what temp are you targeting before shutoff?
But don't let it idle too long!:D

dub96

Reaction score
At the risk of getting raked over the coals... I wish I could DELE..!

tchur1

Reaction score
At the risk of getting raked over the coals... I wish I could DELE..!
You can, its just expensive on the 22s along with the other risks that come with it based on where you live. Either way as others have stated this tends to get overthought a lot.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I as well used EGT1 temp for monitoring turbo temps. I use about 450F as a temp to get down to (if needed) before I shut it down - what temp are you targeting before shutoff?

I don’t have a set number, but 450° is probably good.

I also watch ECT as it stays high for longer thanks to the EGR cooler.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I don’t have a set number, but 450° is probably good.

I also watch ECT as it stays high for longer thanks to the EGR cooler.

I usually look for it to drop to 450 before I shutdown. If I've been doing a long highway run where we've got 85mph zone it can take it a minute to come down, but normal empty driving by the time I'm in the driveway I'm usually only having to idle down for 15-30 seconds to drop under 450.

dub96

Reaction score
Welp, made it 173 miles and 5 hours run time to next regen. This thing makes no sense, sits on 0 for a week, then jumps to 15% full, then goes to 45% full within a couple days, then goes into regen. Unfortunately it starts to regen on my way to work in the morning, so I have to shut it down during the cycle.

Riddick

Reaction score
Welp, made it 173 miles and 5 hours run time to next regen. This thing makes no sense, sits on 0 for a week, then jumps to 15% full, then goes to 45% full within a couple days, then goes into regen. Unfortunately it starts to regen on my way to work in the morning, so I have to shut it down during the cycle.

Yeah, I have noticed my truck going into regen mode more as of late. No idea on mileage between regens but id say it has done 2 regens on one tank of fuel, I can tell is in regen based on how it sounds at idle. Depending on my drive time it can take 2-3 drive cycles to complete a regen. I have not towed anything since roughly October, couple of road trips unloaded but the majority of my driving has been 20 minute trips to work twice a week. I am a firm believer if you tow with these trucks you will have minimal issues, they need to be worked. I was able to get our trailer out yesterday and towed it 4 hours. I will monitor the DPF screen and see how it does now. Last summer when I was towing nearly every weekend my DPF gauge pretty much stayed on 0.

dub96

Reaction score
Yeah, I have noticed my truck going into regen mode more as of late. No idea on mileage between regens but id say it has done 2 regens on one tank of fuel, I can tell is in regen based on how it sounds at idle. Depending on my drive time it can take 2-3 drive cycles to complete a regen. I have not towed anything since roughly October, couple of road trips unloaded but the majority of my driving has been 20 minute trips to work twice a week. I am a firm believer if you tow with these trucks you will have minimal issues, they need to be worked. I was able to get our trailer out yesterday and towed it 4 hours yesterday. I will monitor the DPF screen and see how it does now. Last summer when I was towing nearly every weekend my DPF gauge pretty much stayed on 0.
Our situations sound very much the same. I would agree with the fact that when I'm towing it doesn't hardly ever regen. I am just curious if I am going to start throwing codes because I have to drive the damn thing to work...?

Nick

Reaction score
I think every time you stop at a light , stopping or traffic jams that is idle time . Not much to worry about .

Brudzik

Reaction score
Mine just went back into Regen after about 10 miles. I cleared the code once "P2459 Diesel Particulate Filter Regen Frequency"
waiting for it to come back on to take it in. Replaced the Air Filter, tried Lucas Oil Diesel Deep Clean,
if anything it seems to have made it worse. The thing I can't stand is the smell.
I back it into my Garage and it smells so bad, or sitting at a light with the windows down and the exhaust blowing into the truck.

dub96

Reaction score
How many miles? Glad I haven't experienced that, yet... Mine never smells bad, just smells like melting rubber. I added some HSS extreme to the tank the other day and it did a regen much quicker than normal, see how that goes?

Brudzik

Reaction score
How many miles? Glad I haven't experienced that, yet... Mine never smells bad, just smells like melting rubber. I added some HSS extreme to the tank the other day and it did a regen much quicker than normal, see how that goes?
I have 18K on mine. Have tried Hot Shot Everyday Treatment too. Next tank not going to put anything in it.
Not sure how I would describe the smell but its way more Noticeable when in Regen mode and it is not pleasant to breath in.

dub96

Reaction score
Crazy! A 10 mile regen is far more to worry about than my 130 mile regen. Why is the Cummins having these issues all of a sudden? I was under the impression that they had the most dialed up DPF situation of the big 3.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Crazy! A 10 mile regen is far more to worry about than my 130 mile regen. Why is the Cummins having these issues all of a sudden? I was under the impression that they had the most dialed up DPF situation of the big 3.

Your 130 mile regen could be normal. I have been commuting in my truck the last two weeks just to watch it. I completed an active, 24 hour, regen 7 hours ago. My PID %age has slowly been creeping up (73%), faster than when I don't commute regularly by far, and my DEF gauge is at 30%. I don't have any stop and go on my commute, but some of my errands have had a little. The highest I have seen EGT3 is 700°, and not for long. Very little time above 600°, which means almost no passive regen in the last 7 hours. It all seems normal, and I am sure if I did this for another 3-4 hours I would go into regen long before the 24 hour mark. I'll likely get some good passive regen prior to that thou.

While I am already over the 130 mile mark there could be slightly more soot accumulation in your driving route/style than mine, and that could trip it in that many hours.

I do think Ram has the most dialed in Emissions setup, but that can't compensate for driving conditions.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Your 130 mile regen could be normal. I have been commuting in my truck the last two weeks just to watch it. I completed an active, 24 hour, regen 7 hours ago. My PID %age has slowly been creeping up (73%), faster than when I don't commute regularly by far, and my DEF gauge is at 30%. I don't have any stop and go on my commute, but some of my errands have had a little. The highest I have seen EGT3 is 700°, and not for long. Very little time above 600°, which means almost no passive regen in the last 7 hours. It all seems normal, and I am sure if I did this for another 3-4 hours I would go into regen long before the 24 hour mark. I'll likely get some good passive regen prior to that thou.

While I am already over the 130 mile mark there could be slightly more soot accumulation in your driving route/style than mine, and that could trip it in that many hours.

I do think Ram has the most dialed in Emissions setup, but that can't compensate for driving conditions.

These sorts of conditions are where I've noticed fuel quality has the biggest impact on my DPF soot loading. I'm fortunate/unfortunate (depending on how you look at it) to live right on the cutoff line for the TXLED program. If I fill up with non TXLED diesel and don't treat it with something I'll soot load a bit faster under these sorts of commuting conditions which I try to avoid. TXLED diesel will still do it, albeit at a bit of a lower rate. I now keep Amsoil Cetane Boost, HSS EDT, and HSS LX4 in my toolbox for treating whatever fuel I come across and I treat differently depending on what I'm getting. Still playing with the Amsoil Cetane Boost, but I have noticed adding 4oz to 15Gal of Non-TXLED diesel does seem to make a difference in conjunction with the EDT Perf Dose. When I'm getting TXLED Diesel it's usually just less EDT (Between Standard/Perf) and a touch of LX4 (Quarter Dose) that goes into the tank with none of the pricey Amsoil. If I'm on a longer road trip or know I'lll be working the truck enough to keep EGT's in passive regen range I'll only toss in some EDT at the standard dose with a half dose of LX4 regardless of the fuel I'm grabbing.

I'd love to be able to compare with a tank full of Neste MY, but we can't get it around here. Folks I know that can get their hands on it seem to see minimal soot loading of their DPF's, even under commuting/short-trip conditions which would make sense given it's super high cetane rating of 70+ and high level of refinement.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure I would run diesel with a Cetane if 70+ in these trucks, they are not programmed for that much.

I haven’t had it happen on my 6.7’s, but my 05 5.9 did not like even a 4 point Cetane boost on stock tuning. It would knock like a bad wrist pin at low loads until I got a new tank of fuel. Only did that twice ;)

The 6.7’s seem ok with a 4 point boost in cold weather, but I won’t go more than that.. it’s just not in the programming profile to work with that little ignition delay.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I’m not sure I would run diesel with a Cetane if 70+ in these trucks, they are not programmed for that much.

I haven’t had it happen on my 6.7’s, but my 05 5.9 did not like even a 4 point Cetane boost on stock tuning. It would knock like a bad wrist pin at low loads until I got a new tank of fuel. Only did that twice ;)

The 6.7’s seem ok with a 4 point boost in cold weather, but I won’t go more than that.. it’s just not in the programming profile to work with that little ignition delay.
That's why I'd be interested in experimenting with a tank of it or even just running it down to a 1/4 tank and filling it up to a half. Worst case go top it off with with some normal #2 if it's unhappy about it and call that experiment failed lol. I've noticed this new SO doesn't care for the standard 40 cetane truckstop fuel much over past engines and just seems "happier" if it's either boosted up or I'm filling up with the 48 Cetane TXLED stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread