Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 regens at 130 miles on mixed city/HWY to work and back

dub96

Reaction score
Is this expected? Seems excessive to me... HWY and towing is much better however.

flan

Reaction score
Is this expected? Seems excessive to me... HWY and towing is much better however.
How many engine hours do you go between regens? Also any check engine lights on?

dub96

Reaction score
Not sure on hours, just miles. It's 10 miles to work and 10 miles back, this is all I have driven between regens. It always does the regen before 1/2 full on the display also.

Last edited:

tchur1

Reaction score
Check the idle hours in your EVIC (center screen in the gauge cluster)You can scroll through the options and the last one is usually operating hours broken down between idle and drive. How fast are you going in those 10 miles? The engines are designed to auto regen every 24 operating hours, or when there is excessive suit built up in the DPF.

These trucks need to be able to run at operating temp to perform their best, and if you're just doing 25-35 MPH to and from work you may not be getting up to temperature, increasing soot build up, and therefore regen frequency. How often do you drive at highway speeds for 15-20 mins?

dub96

Reaction score
Check the idle hours in your EVIC (center screen in the gauge cluster)You can scroll through the options and the last one is usually operating hours broken down between idle and drive. How fast are you going in those 10 miles? The engines are designed to auto regen every 24 operating hours, or when there is excessive suit built up in the DPF.

These trucks need to be able to run at operating temp to perform their best, and if you're just doing 25-35 MPH to and from work you may not be getting up to temperature, increasing soot build up, and therefore regen frequency. How often do you drive at highway speeds for 15-20 mins?
Current hours:
101 Iddle
239 Drive I will start keeping an eye on this.

The truck gets up to full temp on my way to work every day as it is 1/2 HWY driving. I would say 1/2 at 55-65 and 1/2 at 25-32 mph. Just seems excessive.

tchur1

Reaction score
Current hours:
101 Iddle
239 Drive I will start keeping an eye on this.

The truck gets up to full temp on my way to work every day as it is 1/2 HWY driving. I would say 1/2 at 55-65 and 1/2 at 25-32 mph. Just seems excessive.
I agree that seems excessive, keep an eye on your idle hours. I believe Cummins recommends 10 mins of idle for every hour of operations (about 15%). Your at about double that which could be a contributing factor.

downsc123

Reaction score
When I use my truck for comminuting to work (no towing) my average miles between re-gens is 240 to 270ish. My work comminute is 14 miles each way half on 55 mph highway (travel at 65ish) and half on 45 mph country roads (travel 55ish).

dub96

Reaction score
When I use my truck for comminuting to work (no towing) my average miles between re-gens is 240 to 270ish. My work comminute is 14 miles each way half on 55 mph highway (travel at 65ish) and half on 45 mph country roads (travel 55ish).
That is more like what I would expect. I am only sitting at 8K miles. Where is your odometer at?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
When properly driven there should be 24 run time hours between regens. When the truck is driven in stop and go, excessively idled, or not allowed to get warm it can happen much sooner.

Monitor engine hours at each regen and see where you are at.

Avoid idling, as mentioned more than 10 minutes per hour is considered excessive.

dub96

Reaction score
I warm it up in the mornings and try to get it to around 80+ water temp before taking off, I also remote start it before I leave, maybe this is a contributing factor to idle hours. I bought the truck with 5K on the odometer, so it's hard to say if someone let her idle a bunch before... Does look like a lot of idle hours.

techman

Reaction score
Yipes!! That is a TON of idling on you truck. Mine is 21 hours out of 173 hours with 6500 miles.

Just think what 100 hours of idling out of 239 is. The truck is not moving for 100 running hours, that is crazy to me.

techman

Reaction score
I drive mine like a car. No warming up and drive off as soon as I start. If I am going to be more than a couple of minutes stopped, I shut it down. I'm always at zero on the DPF and I can't say I have ever witnessed a regen. Too be honest I think the DPF gauge is nothing but a distraction for hyper focused owners. Who cares what the emission system is doing! When and if it breaks, it will let you know. The only preventative measures you can take are regular maintenance, keep the DEF level up, and drive, drive, drive.

dub96

Reaction score
I get you but when its 15 degrees and snowing, it sure is nice to remote start and warm up before you head out! Kind of defeats the purpose...

techman

Reaction score
I remote start too on the occasion when it dips below freezing. But, max 3-5 minutes as the electric heater kicks in and it's good to go pretty quickly.

I'm not preaching to avoid idling when circumstances require it. But I do see guys having their lunch break in their diesels with the motor running. Or the best myth I have come across is that it take a tremendous amount of diesel to start one, so it is better to leave them running. UGH!

Your idle hours might be off for whatever reason. Just be wary of how you use your truck. You may find out you are idling it more than you think.

tchur1

Reaction score
I get you but when its 15 degrees and snowing, it sure is nice to remote start and warm up before you head out! Kind of defeats the purpose...
I also live in a pretty cold and snowy environment and ill remote start it and let if run for 5-10 mins before I take off and have had no issues with regen frequency thus far (15k miles). When its cold it usually kicks into high idle which warms the truck up really quickly so I dont let it sit like that for more then 5 mins. When I do take off though I always make sure im running at operating temp for 15+ mins and dont let it idle much beyond that.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
130 miles between active regeneration would be pretty excessive for a mix of city and highway driving. My 22 HO sees mixed drive cycles both loaded and empty, and I recently started logging every active regeneration cycle to track these. Primarily to establish a baseline for what I consider to be normal based on my driving and useage.

It’s important to be careful not to automatically assume that the regenerations are happening frequently based on one or two instances. Remember that active regenerations are either initiated by soot load in the DPF or by the 24-25 hour engine run timer.

Soot load based active regeneration starts at roughly 47% on the DPF gauge which would indicate the differential pressure sensors are estimating about 47 grams of soot trapped in the DPF, or if the soot removal time reaches 24,000 seconds. Whichever comes first.

Timer based active regeneration can start around 24-25 hours of engine run time.

Both cycles need to complete and should return the gauge to 0% at the end. If you’re not allowing them to finish, you may see them start again the next time you drive.

These two cycles can happen back to back, or within a very short time / miles between them. The timer based regen cycle will occur no matter what the DPF soot load is (even at zero).

I would recommend logging all of the cycles for a while. Collect data as I have, and then take a look at the bigger picture of what your truck is actually doing in. If you aren’t getting any DTC’s / MIL, then the truck is passing its onboard diagnostics for now and there really isn’t a need for immediate concern. If this pattern continues, and you indeed are getting frequent regeneration, it should ultimately trigger a DTC P2459 for “frequency of regeneration”

B7334496-9AAB-4D52-8536-059FFF5EDEDA.jpeg

dub96

Reaction score
My GAWD! What a PITA!! I changed from 2017 PSD to Ram, mostly because of the CP4 issue and was always under the impression that the Cummins had far less issues (emissions). It is crazy to think one must log all this for piece of mind on an 80K truck, especially one that didn't come with blind spot monitoring:mad: (still not over this) LOL

Does the truck log idle hours at a stoplight or just in park?

Users who are viewing this thread