Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 regens at 130 miles on mixed city/HWY to work and back

flan

Reaction score
My GAWD! What a PITA!! I changed from 2017 PSD to Ram, mostly because of the CP4 issue and was always under the impression that the Cummins had far less issues (emissions). It is crazy to think one must log all this for piece of mind on an 80K truck, especially one that didn't come with blind spot monitoring:mad: (still not over this) LOL

Does the truck log idle hours at a stoplight or just in park?
I do nothing but drive my truck. No problems or special potions in my fuel tank.

tchur1

Reaction score
My GAWD! What a PITA!! I changed from 2017 PSD to Ram, mostly because of the CP4 issue and was always under the impression that the Cummins had far less issues (emissions). It is crazy to think one must log all this for piece of mind on an 80K truck, especially one that didn't come with blind spot monitoring:mad: (still not over this) LOL

Does the truck log idle hours at a stoplight or just in park?
You dont HAVE to log all of this. I dont log any of this, just take mental notes on when my truck regens (at this point, 15k miles in, its only ever regened at the 24 hour mark and the DPF gauge has never moved off 0).

@mbarber84 makes a very good point though that if you want to figure out if something is wrong it is beneficial to have a baseline to work off of.

I think it tracks idle as time spent under a certain RPM threshold but I could be wrong. It sounds like the 2022s calculate idle hours more aggressively then prior model years from what I have read on here.

Im a firm believer that if you work your truck, dont let it idle for extended periods, fill the DEF when you get to 1/4 tank you should be good.

Those that seem to have emissions issues either live in really cold climates or dont work the trucks hard enough. I could be generalizing here but that the sense I have gathered.

techman

Reaction score
Those that seem to have emissions issues either live in really cold climates or dont work the trucks hard enough. I could be generalizing here but that the sense I have gathered.

It's the lack of driving and working the truck. Climate shouldn't matter at all unless you gel the diesel for one reason or another.

tchur1

Reaction score
It's the lack of driving and working the truck. Climate shouldn't matter at all unless you gel the diesel for one reason or another.
I generally agree but those like @Pressure_welder seem to work their truck pretty hard and still had emissions issues tied to really cold temps.

dub96

Reaction score
I will say that when I tow my boat, which is why I bought the truck, I don't think it ever regen's.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I will say that when I tow my boat, which is why I bought the truck, I don't think it ever regen's.

That indicates more driving style than issue.

dub96

Reaction score
I get you, just not much different I can do, aside from less idle time...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a big one. Even in the cold an snow I don't idle it much more than a minute, the best way to warm it up is to drive it easily.

dub96

Reaction score
I plan to exercise that plan from here on out. I'm fairly guilty of letting it warm up for 4-5 minutes even in the 50's, like leaving work.

baker01

Reaction score
I am 17 miles each way at 65-70 mph with 10-15 miles in town at 30-40 mph for a total of 45-50 miles each day.

1680568305343.png

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I get you, just not much different I can do, aside from less idle time...
Keeping idle time to a minimum will help substantially. Idle only serves to add soot that has to be burned out, often times creating face plugging of the DOC / DPF. Extended idle time plus a considerable amount of low-load or no-load is a fast combination for increased regeneration and potentially the need for a stationary desoot. (I wish we had the ability to trigger these ourselves, without the need for a scan tool)

You may also find that using an additive (either or routinely or every so often) may help your situation. Prior to this 22 truck, I was not much of a believer in additives. I operated on the “it’s engineered for straight diesel” principle. I had a short period where I felt my own truck was also regenerating more frequently. I very quickly found out my dealer had given me the incorrect engine air filter, so that got addressed pretty quickly. But I still noticed what I thought to be a faster than expected accumulation of soot in the DPF. On a whim, I decided to try the hotshots extreme and the hotshots edt. Extreme is a one time dose every 6k miles and the edt is used in every fill up. I do truly believe these two made an improvement in the way my engine and emissions system functions. After I started the treatment regiment, I noticed my truck does not build soot as quickly, and it would seem regeneration cycles are more effective (both passive and active) I’m not saying it’s the solution to every problem but I do believe it enhanced the situation rather than detracting from it.

There are so many variables to consider with these trucks. Drive cycles, operating environment, the driver itself, the fuel you use, the engine oil you use, how often do you idle?, how often you tow or work the truck, and the list goes on.

Ultimately the easiest thing to do is establish a baseline and see how things go over a period of time. Like I said before, these systems self diagnose and monitor parameters. If there’s a problem brewing, you’re likely to find out via an MIL. In the meantime, some basics like reducing idle time (Cummins Inc. says keep idle time to 15-16% of total engine hours or lower), putting the truck under load intermittently, etc will all help to reduce how much you need to regen.

unclelala

Reaction score
That's a big one. Even in the cold an snow I don't idle it much more than a minute, the best way to warm it up is to drive it easily.
I don't warm up my truck much when starting up but let it idle 2 to 3 minutes before shutting down under the advice of people here to cool down the turbo

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't warm up my truck much when starting up but let it idle 2 to 3 minutes before shutting down under the advice of people here to cool down the turbo

How long you need to cooldown for depends on what you're doing before shutdown. The chart in the owners manual is pretty useful.

unclelala

Reaction score
How long you need to cooldown for depends on what you're doing before shutdown. The chart in the owners manual is pretty useful.
Found the chart...interesting, I confess I haven't opened up the Ram bible too often. The chart is a good reference but it would be nice if one could actually know the turbo temp. All it calls it in the manuals chart is Turbocharger temp, cool, warm and hot. I usually shutdown when the oil temp and coolant temp are close in temp.

Last edited:

tchur1

Reaction score
Found the chart...interesting, I confess I haven't opened up the Ram bible too often. The cart is a good reference but it would be nice if one could actually know the turbo temp. All it calls it in the manuals chart is Turbocharger temp, cool, warm and hot. I usually shutdown when the oil temp and coolant temp are close in temp.
I haven’t looked at the chart in a while but doesn’t it recommend cool down period based on driving conditions?

ie unloaded slower speeds = 30 second cool down up to heavy towing for long duration = 5 min cool down?

unclelala

Reaction score
I haven’t looked at the chart in a while but doesn’t it recommend cool down period based on driving conditions?

ie unloaded slower speeds = 30 second cool down up to heavy towing for long duration = 5 min cool down?
Yes but what about temperature out side, stinking arse hot out or freezing cold, surely this puts a little variant on it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The ambient temps impact is small compared to the conditions listed in the chart. The chart also has been the same for multiple generations, but the turbo has some water cooling on the 6.7.

Most owners don’t think about turbo cool down and don’t have issues.

I use EGT1 as an indicator of turbo temp, and usually I don’t need to idle but a few seconds unless I’m towing and then the times listed in the chart seem pretty good.

I wouldn’t get too wrapped up around oil temp, it’s a fake gauge since there isn’t an oil temp sensor.

dub96

Reaction score
Simplest LD diesel on the market with the most back ground and you have to watch everything. I miss my Ford....

downsc123

Reaction score
The ambient temps impact is small compared to the conditions listed in the chart. The chart also has been the same for multiple generations, but the turbo has some water cooling on the 6.7.

Most owners don’t think about turbo cool down and don’t have issues.

I use EGT1 as an indicator of turbo temp, and usually I don’t need to idle but a few seconds unless I’m towing and then the times listed in the chart seem pretty good.

I wouldn’t get too wrapped up around oil temp, it’s a fake gauge since there isn’t an oil temp sensor.
I as well used EGT1 temp for monitoring turbo temps. I use about 450F as a temp to get down to (if needed) before I shut it down - what temp are you targeting before shutoff?

Users who are viewing this thread