Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

HockeyPUcX

Reaction score
My truck has been out of service for 16 days now, waiting on parts. Has anyone out there put many miles on their vehicle following repair by the TSB parts kit? I am just curious if we have any thoughts on long-term reliability post-repair.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
My truck has been out of service for 16 days now, waiting on parts. Has anyone out there put many miles on their vehicle following repair by the TSB parts kit? I am just curious if we have any thoughts on long-term reliability post-repair.
I doubt there are many since the CSN has only been out a couple months… the Aisin has been a very reliable transmission out side of this snap ring mess, If the dealer does the repair/ fix properly I don’t see any reason why it won’t hold up.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I assume your transmission failed?
I would certainly fight for a new transmission vs rebuilding, most of the failed transmissions have been replaced with new ones from what I’ve read.
Mine didn’t fail, it just had the updated snap ring kit installed.
Sounds like yours failed ?

HockeyPUcX

Reaction score
I assume your transmission failed?
I would certainly fight for a new transmission vs rebuilding, most of the failed transmissions have been replaced with new ones from what I’ve read.
Mine didn’t fail, it just had the updated snap ring kit installed.
Sounds like yours failed ?
Mine was identified on the CSN, but I had not received the notice when the transmission failed. In my case, the dealer, based on the ODBII codes, the fact drive doesn't work, and the CSN ordered the parts kit. They are unwilling to take apart the transmission and examine it until the parts arrive, as they don't want to tie up a service bay. Saying I am less than impressed with Ram and the response would be an understatement. If the truck hits 30 days out of service, which is covered under my state's lemon law, I will file for arbitration and see about a vehicle buyback or some other form of compensation. I opened a case with Ram directly. I am concerned about the long-term effect this will have on reliability. So I was looking to see if someone had a hotshot/transport business where they used the parts kit for repair and had some higher mileage under their belt while towing.

Porter7529

Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2022 Ram 3500 Limited Longhorn with Aisin and 4.1 gears.
Transmission failed on 7/31 while towing with 4161 miles on odometer. Overshot an entrance backed up 10’ and when it went back into drive no bueno.
Ram had the truck for a month to replace the K1 clutch assembly. Got it back, drove terrible, as if it was slipping gears every time it shifted from 2-3, 3-4, and under higher load. They said it should “learn” and smooth out. 1.5 weeks later I had a chance to get it back in. They test drove it and other trucks for a day, couldn’t identify an issue, pulled the transmission and said it failed, and needed to be replaced.
I’ve now been waiting on a new transmission since second week of September.

Ram care will not reimburse payments until truck is completed. They will not reimburse for two trailer moves. They cannot find the original transmission, and cannot seem to find a process to order a new one. At my wits end with these guys.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2022 Ram 3500 Limited Longhorn with Aisin and 4.1 gears.
Transmission failed on 7/31 while towing with 4161 miles on odometer. Overshot an entrance backed up 10’ and when it went back into drive no bueno.
Ram had the truck for a month to replace the K1 clutch assembly. Got it back, drove terrible, as if it was slipping gears every time it shifted from 2-3, 3-4, and under higher load. They said it should “learn” and smooth out. 1.5 weeks later I had a chance to get it back in. They test drove it and other trucks for a day, couldn’t identify an issue, pulled the transmission and said it failed, and needed to be replaced.
I’ve now been waiting on a new transmission since second week of September.

Ram care will not reimburse payments until truck is completed. They will not reimburse for two trailer moves. They cannot find the original transmission, and cannot seem to find a process to order a new one. At my wits end with these guys.
That’s an incredibly long time to be waiting for a transmission. What is the dealer saying?

I can add your truck, just need the following information:

1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable)

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

3. Date you purchased the truck

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure?

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work?

9. Did reverse work?

10. What date did the transmission fail?

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?

13 Was / Is the truck currently identified under Customer Satisfaction Notification 71A?

If the truck experienced multiple failure dates, please provide dates for failures and repairs.

95Ctd

Reaction score
I didn't see the 71A in the mail like I did Y43, guess I'll get mine scheduled. 22' garage queen picked up in April once the relay recall was done. 8,300 now and would rather not be babying for K1 fears.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't see the 71A in the mail like I did Y43, guess I'll get mine scheduled. 22' garage queen picked up in April once the relay recall was done. 8,300 now and would rather not be babying for K1 fears.
You can check online at the Mopar website or on the Ram app also. Both should show if your ViN is identified under CSN 71A. If it’s not showing on either, and you didn’t get a notice in the mail, then your truck is likely not identified / affected. What is your trucks date of manufacture?

95Ctd

Reaction score
I ran the VIN and it is there. Was just seeing if there were any K1 updates after seeing a new tfl video.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran the VIN and it is there. Was just seeing if there were any K1 updates after seeing a new tfl video.

Do they mention the K1 in that video??
I sent them info on k1 failures back in January and suggested they do a story on it but they basically brushed me aside.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I sent them info on k1 failures back in January and suggested they do a story on it but they basically brushed me aside.

What! It’s like it won’t make them any money.

They are a joke, anyone who puts any stock in what they say is a marketers dream.

95Ctd

Reaction score
No.
I can't imagine they would spend any time on one defect a decently specific build spec has that there is a $0 recall fix when this is billions of dollars from "cheating" to the feds.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

If done correctly and there wasn’t any other damage there isn’t anything to worry about.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
No.
I can't imagine they would spend any time on one defect a decently specific build spec has that there is a $0 recall fix when this is billions of dollars from "cheating" to the feds.
I didn’t follow your original statement sorry
I thought you were saying the video prompted you to come here because they had mentioned something about it. One defect that affects 5,440 trucks (likely more) would’ve been worthy of a mention, if nothing more than a heads up. Especially back in January before everyone knew what was going on. A little publicity and a “heads up this may happen to you” could’ve kept a lot of people out of harms way.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
What! It’s like it won’t make them any money.

They are a joke, anyone who puts any stock in what they say is a marketers dream.
I was hoping they would at least do a little digging and maybe find some more information. That was back in January. Might’ve helped more than a few people out. I just didn’t want to see anyone get hurt or killed over the failures. Or even find themselves in a lousy situation.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If done correctly and there wasn’t any other damage there isn’t anything to worry about.
From all my interactions with those who have had this failure happen, it would seem the repair success and longterm reliability is based heavily on the technician who performs the work, as well as how attentive they are during the repair process. Some trucks will go on with life as though it never happened, some have had to be taken back for a subsequent tear down and reevaluation, and some never made it around the block without a secondary failure. That being said however, it does appear that far more were successful than not.

Adam06

Reaction score
From all my interactions with those who have had this failure happen, it would seem the repair success and longterm reliability is based heavily on the technician who performs the work, as well as how attentive they are during the repair process. Some trucks will go on with life as though it never happened, some have had to be taken back for a subsequent tear down and reevaluation, and some never made it around the block without a secondary failure. That being said however, it does appear that far more were successful than not.
Well that su$k I am on a waiting list for 8 months and these dealers are a joke every time I call them it’s someone different and want to order me a dip stick

Adam06

Reaction score
Waiting list for what?
To get my transmission repaired, I live in northern New Mexico and they can’t get the parts they say or grease or transmission fluid . So they can’t do the fix on my truck I have called 4 dealership in my area and all the same call back in a month we will put u on a list. I have less than 7,000 miles on the truck. IMHO I think they don’t have mechanics that can fix it . They don’t even have a tech that understands this is a ho Cummins which has an asian transmission. Do I think that shows incompetence

Users who are viewing this thread