Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update what I’ve learned for those following along.

1. I’ve now added two 2022 model year Aisin trucks to the spreadsheet with confirmed failures that were built in 2021. To me, this seems to indicate the issue with the snap ring may have existed closer to the start of 2022 production than I had originally anticipated. Despite the fact that there are a bunch of trucks built between April and November of 2022 on the list, I think it’s safe to say the problem may possibly be more expansive.

2. I have a few trucks that have failed in excess of 10,000 miles. While it is far less common, they do exist. To me, this means you can’t accurately put a mileage “cap” on the number of miles before it can be deemed “ok”. They have failed in as little as 132 miles and as high as 19,000.

I’ll continue to update the sheet as time moves forward. I’m up to 64 trucks on the list and it seems to grow daily. If you are included in the sheet, please do your best to keep me updated so that the information reflected is accurate as possible. I’ve had a lot of positive feedback from those involved in this regarding the usefulness of the information. Accurate and up to date info on the sheet helps keep the awareness of this issue current and at the forefront.

Last edited:

Brannon

Reaction score
Just found this thread, searching for answers on why my new 8,600mi 2022 Ram 3500 DRW just broke down while hauling my 5th wheel. We are waiting for it to be looked at on Monday and my heart sunk while reading this thread lol. Was driving down the road when the whole truck slammed really hard. Would not go forward, didn’t try reverse but the dealership told me it would only go in reverse. Guess this is gonna be a long process…

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just found this thread, searching for answers on why my new 8,600mi 2022 Ram 3500 DRW just broke down while hauling my 5th wheel. We are waiting for it to be looked at on Monday and my heart sunk while reading this thread lol. Was driving down the road when the whole truck slammed really hard. Would not go forward, didn’t try reverse but the dealership told me it would only go in reverse. Guess this is gonna be a long process…
I can add you to the tracking sheet if you`d like? I just need some basic info from you

Ionicbrick

Reaction score

Sounds like it’s got the virus brother. I’m sorry to hear that. We know exactly what you’re going through here…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it’s got the virus brother. I’m sorry to hear that. We know exactly what you’re going through here…

If he agrees to participate, he will be the third failure I`ve added to the sheet in less than an hour.....

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
If he agrees to participate, he will be the third failure I`ve added to the sheet in less than an hour.....

Crazy. I haven’t looked at the sheet in a bit. This is getting serious….

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just confirming you have the aisin transmission?

Here is what I need to include you on the tracking sheet:

Date ordered (M/Y)
Date manufactured (M/Y)
Date purchased (M/Y)
Miles at the time of failure?
Failed while towing? (Y/N)
Lost forward gears? (Y/N)
Reverse works? (Y/N)
Date transmission failed? (M/D/Y)

Brannon

Reaction score
Just found this thread, searching for answers on why my new 8,600mi 2022 Ram 3500 DRW just broke down while hauling my 5th wheel. We are waiting for it to be looked at on Monday and my heart sunk while reading this thread lol. Was driving down the road when the whole truck slammed really hard. Would not go forward, didn’t try reverse but the dealership told me it would only go in reverse.
I can add you to the tracking sheet if you`d like? I just need some basic info from you

drove by the truck at the dealership to get the manufacturers date…

Just confirming you have the aisin transmission?

Here is what I need to include you on the tracking sheet:

Date ordered (M/Y)
Date manufactured (M/Y)
Date purchased (M/Y)
Miles at the time of failure?
Failed while towing? (Y/N)
Lost forward gears? (Y/N)
Reverse works? (Y/N)
Date transmission failed? (M/D/Y)
Just drove by the dealership to get the date manufactured…
Date ordered (found it n lot)
Date manufactured (10/22)
Date purchased (11/11/22)
Miles at the time of failure(8,600)
Failed while towing? (Yes)
Lost forward gears? (Yes)
Reverse works? (Yes)
Date transmission failed? (2/1/23)

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
T
Just found this thread, searching for answers on why my new 8,600mi 2022 Ram 3500 DRW just broke down while hauling my 5th wheel. We are waiting for it to be looked at on Monday and my heart sunk while reading this thread lol. Was driving down the road when the whole truck slammed really hard. Would not go forward, didn’t try reverse but the dealership told me it would only go in reverse.

Reverse works? (Yes)
Thanks for the info I will update the sheet.
Sounds like another K1 issue.
Let me know when you get the diagnostics done and we’ll see what they find.

Brannon

Reaction score

Reverse works? (Yes)
And yes it has the Aisin.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I will, they said they should get it in the shop tomorrow. I’ll let y’all know as soonI find something out.
Sounds good. Please confirm with your dealer that they are aware of TSB 21-002-23. If they are not, they need to familiarize themselves with it. It seems like some dealers have no experience with this failure while others are handling multiple trucks with the same issue. I had one owner report 6 trucks at their dealer all with the same issue, whereas others aren’t even aware of the TSB and have never seen this issue before.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
??? I posted pics of my tranny on here last night… or at least I thought I did. It’s not showing up at all. Is there an issue with posting pics that I’m unaware of? Tapa would only let me post 4 pics at a time, so there are two posts for the 7 pics that never showed…

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
??? I posted pics of my tranny on here last night… or at least I thought I did. It’s not showing up at all. Is there an issue with posting pics that I’m unaware of? Tapa would only let me post 4 pics at a time, so there are two posts for the 7 pics that never showed…

I see post #61 (4 pics) and post #63 (2 pics)

The forum software allows 10 pic per post max so if there's a problem with Tapa, I'd suspect it's on their end or possibly a setting in the integration I can do nothing about.

FWIW, there's a whole site revamp coming so nothing is going to change until that happens.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I see post #61 (4 pics) and post #63 (2 pics)

The forum software allows 10 pic per post max so if there's a problem with Tapa, I'd suspect it's on their end or possibly a setting in the integration I can do nothing about.

FWIW, there's a whole site revamp coming so nothing is going to change until that happens.

In THIS thread? The post you just made is #55. At least that’s what it shows me… how many posts am I not seeing!?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
In THIS thread? The post you just made is #55. At least that’s what it shows me… how many posts am I not seeing!?

Not in this thread.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Not in this thread.

Crap. I thought it was this one. Lol. Thread names are similar and I’m an idiot. Haha

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So....things I`ve learned while updating and adding to the spreadsheet.

#1. I had the first instance of a non-2022 truck experiencing a K1 snap ring failure. The owner has a 2020 Aisin 3500 that, due to some unrelated transmission related issues, the dealer opted to replace the entire transmission under the 5 / 100 powertrain warranty. The original 2020 transmission was removed and a new unit installed (new AS69RC). The replacement transmission failed after only about 700 miles. Dealer diagnosed the failure as the K1 clutch snap ring issue. Another replacement transmission was ordered and installed (new AS69RC with part number 68498560AB). This subsequently failed after about 810 miles. Same mode of failure and characteristics at the time it failed. The truck is currently down and has been at the dealer since 1/2/23. Currently waiting for its third replacement transmission.

#2. Spoke with an owner today that recently had the TSB parts kit installed in their truck. The parts kit did not repair the transmission. It is unclear as to why at this point, but I am waiting for more information. Sounds like, based on the conversation we had, the tech either did not install properly or missed something during the reinstall. Not sure exactly yet but will update. This is the first person I have communicated with to have had the parts kit applied, rather than the full transmission replaced.

Brannon

Reaction score
Alright, so here’s the latest on my Ram that failed Thursday of last week. They were just able to get it on the lift and diagnose today. Snap ring failed then transmission failed. They are ordering parts to repair which from this thread sounds like a good thing instead of replacing with another tranny that will fail again. He read me a list of parts that they ordered but didn’t write them down. Clutch, snap ring… not a mechanic so he was talking gibberish to me. I did not mention the TSB 21-002-23 over the phone but I will when I go to pick up a loaner later today.

Users who are viewing this thread