Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Well I’ve had my truck back for one week. The current project is very close to me, so I’ve only put about 100 miles on the new tranny… but I’ve noticed something I wonder if anyone else had issue with.

I posted when I first bought my truck that it made a beeping or chirping noise during the shift of 3rd and 4th under load (towing or pedal down moving). I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they had their head service manager ride with me to hear it. He heard it and said he didn’t know what it could be. I tested him by asking if it might be the waste gate and he said it could be (our trucks don’t have waste gates). So I needless to say I didn’t go back there for service.

That chirp did go away after about 1500 miles. Some of the guys in here suggested that can be normal with these aisins (this is my first one).

However, at least so far, this transmission doesn’t chirp at all.
So I’m curious if anyone else experienced the chirp in either their failed transmission or their replacement? It’s the only other difference I can remember or feel so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Well I’ve had my truck back for one week. The current project is very close to me, so I’ve only put about 100 miles on the new tranny… but I’ve noticed something I wonder if anyone else had issue with.

I posted when I first bought my truck that it made a beeping or chirping noise during the shift of 3rd and 4th under load (towing or pedal down moving). I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they had their head service manager ride with me to hear it. He heard it and said he didn’t know what it could be. I tested him by asking if it might be the waste gate and he said it could be (our trucks don’t have waste gates). So I needless to say I didn’t go back there for service.

That chirp did go away after about 1500 miles. Some of the guys in here suggested that can be normal with these aisins (this is my first one).

So I’m curious if anyone else experienced the chirp in either their failed transmission or their replacement? It’s the only other difference I can remember or feel so far.

Mine hasn't failed (yet), but it's well within the date range of the failures and has not made that chirp when shifting. I haven't put a big load on it yet, but I hit the throttle pretty hard when merging on the freeway. My 2015 3500 had the Aisin and gave me no problems whatsoever.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

Neither my previous 2017 Aisin nor my current 2022 Aisin have ever made that sound, or any sound. Both have been very quiet and smooth, and supremely reliable. The 22 truck is smoother shifting than my previous 17 was. But neither has ever made a strange or weird noise during operation. I had 75k trouble free miles on the 17 aisin when I sold it, and theres 24k on the 22 with no issues thus far.

It would be very interesting if we could get everyone I`ve spoken with together to see if they`ve experienced the sound you are referring to.

Last edited:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Neither my previous 2017 Aisin nor my current 2022 Aisin have ever made that sound, or any sound. Both have been very quiet and smooth, and supremely reliable. The 22 truck is smoother shifting than my previous 17 was. But neither has ever made a strange or weird noise during operation. I had 75k trouble free miles on the 17 aisin when I sold it, and theres 24k on the 22 with no issues thus far. I

It would be very interesting if we could get everyone I`ve spoken with together to see if they`ve experienced the sound you are referring to.

That’s what I was thinking too. I was just remembering, since it made it during the shift, that the noise could be associated with the clutch snap ring. It almost sounded like a beep, for a few times I thought it came through the radio. I’ll look back and see if I took video. Once it went away I dismissed it.

tchur1

Reaction score
If I was accelerating really hard on mine it would do a small chirp in third and fourth gear. I recall reading that it was somewhat normal on these transmissions. It only happened up through ~5k miles and has not happened since. I now have 13k on the truck without issue. (thus far, knocking on wood as we speak)

Ostracize

Reaction score
My '21 made that slight chirp when I first got it, only when pushing it pretty hard, and now with 30k on it, haven't heard it since probably 8-12k.

This is quite normal in these aisin's. I wouldn't attribute the correlation of the snap ring to the chirp sounds described in multiple forums spanning quite a few years now. They seem to be simply unrelated.

The chirp sound is just the clutches bedding in. New clutches have surface tolerance variations which can (but not always) cause clutch noise normally under heavier shift loads.

aearles

Reaction score
You can add me to the list! My 10-22 built 3500 DRW failed at 2800 miles while towing an 18k fifth wheel on 12/12. Dealer (Chapman Las Vegas) had two more just like it. It’s been sitting waiting for back order trans but just got notified this week that new trans shipped out 1/17 (interesting since it shipped after TSB), supposed to arrive this week but haven’t heard any update except current promised date is 1/29. I just came across this thread and TSB and let them know, asking if there’s anyway to determine if replacement has the fix or if we should order repair kit instead. I’ll post any updates here.

@mbarber84, I got my truck back yesterday, 1/25/2023. Dealer tells me that the transmission installed is an updated part# "68498560AB replaces 68498560AA" but I can't seem to find anything to support that AB was just recently released, and doesn't make sense that there are only two iterations of this part since there was obviously a prior change that introduced the defect. Was hoping to find more detail on "68498560AB" and see if there was a release date but no luck.

Anyway, truck is home and running properly. Unfortunately, the tech failed to fully thread the carrier bearing bolts and I almost lost my driveshaft on the drive, but I was able to get it supported with bailing wire and get to autozone for a temporary bolt and get it home. I also have asked customer care about the updated part, will report back if I learn anything.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
@mbarber84, I got my truck back yesterday, 1/25/2023. Dealer tells me that the transmission installed is an updated part# "68498560AB replaces 68498560AA" but I can't seem to find anything to support that AB was just recently released, and doesn't make sense that there are only two iterations of this part since there was obviously a prior change that introduced the defect. Was hoping to find more detail on "68498560AB" and see if there was a release date but no luck.

Anyway, truck is home and running properly. Unfortunately, the tech failed to fully thread the carrier bearing bolts and I almost lost my driveshaft on the drive, but I was able to get it supported with bailing wire and get to autozone for a temporary bolt and get it home. I also have asked customer care about the updated part, will report back if I learn anything.
thank you for the update! Glad to see you got your truck back, despite the driveshaft issue. Let us know what you find about the part number revision, it`ll be interesting to see what (if any) change was made.

Jedi

Reaction score

Thats good news!

My dealer told me there was no TSB about the transmission issue. I went home and printed off all of this info and took it back to him. He said he's "pass it up the chain". Today my truck will have been parked behind the dealership for 30 days. I get it, it's nobody's fault (personally) but you think the Ram 'network' would at least make sure the TSB was provided to each dealership so the problem could be solved ASAP. My dealer hasn't said anything about replacing tranny. Originally, they ordered a replacement valve body, but apparently that wasn't the issue because it's still there. I would be helpful if they'd just say "we know what the problem is and this is what needs to happen for us to get you your $90k pickup back so you can get to work".

Does anyone know if Ram reimburses for rental of a work truck? I just need a 3/4 ton or greater and 4x4 to do my work. The 2x4 1/2 ton pickup they rented for me was doable during the rains we had out here in CA for the past few weeks but now it's drying up and I need to get back to work.

I'll let you know if I hear anything re my truck repair.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hey there,

If anyone is experiencing a concern with their Aisin, please send us a direct message. We'd love to get this taken care of for you. Additionally, please feel free to bring TSB 21-002-23 to your dealer for assistance as this may help them diagnose and repair your transmission.

Callie
Ram Cares

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats good news!

My dealer told me there was no TSB about the transmission issue. I went home and printed off all of this info and took it back to him. He said he's "pass it up the chain". Today my truck will have been parked behind the dealership for 30 days. I get it, it's nobody's fault (personally) but you think the Ram 'network' would at least make sure the TSB was provided to each dealership so the problem could be solved ASAP. My dealer hasn't said anything about replacing tranny. Originally, they ordered a replacement valve body, but apparently that wasn't the issue because it's still there. It would be helpful if they'd just say "we know what the problem is and this is what needs to happen for us to get you your $90k pickup back so you can get to work".

Does anyone know if Ram reimburses for rental of a work truck? I just need a 3/4 ton or greater and 4x4 to do my work. The 2x4 1/2 ton pickup they rented for me was doable during the rains we had out here in CA for the past few weeks but now it's drying up and I need to get back to work.

I'll let you know if I hear anything re my truck repair.
You are 100% correct. This is an opportunity for Ram to build customer relations and reputation by being transparent and by admitting to a problem and rectifying it, just as they did with the CP4 failures. It looks like the current plan is to sit back and wait, and "fix as they fail", rather than being proactive. I`ve been tracking these issues now for about two weeks and have just shy of 50 trucks on my list. My reach is limited to a small handful of internet forums and groups. So in 14 days I`ve been able to identify 49 trucks with this failure.....in my spare time. If I was actively engaged full-time in this process I would assume my sheet would be much larger. I`ve also witnessed countless others comment about having the same problem but have not been able to "reach" them due to the limitations on communication on some various online platforms. The math still works out to about 3 trucks a day. I`m sure for every one I am able to talk to, there is at least one other that I cant. In addition, when I get info back from owners who are going through the repair side, the common theme is "parts are backordered", "delayed for 30 days", etc. There is no question that this is a known issue. It is a safety issue as well. If you think about the wide range of user types, some of the trucks sold will fail immediately because they are being used daily in high-mileage applications. Yet others are sold to customers who use the truck on occasion to move travel trailers, or haul other items once in a while. Without identifying the trucks at risk, owners like myself are forced to continue to operate a truck that can`t be fully trusted. Period. You can claim "well you have over 20,000 miles so your transmission should be fine" but that is not concrete. If you look at the data I have collected, failures have occurred over a wide range of mileages. There simply is nothing concrete that we can base our trust in. We may very well see this issue carry on for months ahead. 2022 trucks are still on the way to dealer lots from Mexico, and more are being sold daily. Add to that the occasional use trucks that will be hitting the road for camping trips and summer season work tasks. A little transparency would give us all more clarity and possibly peace of mind, or at the very least allow us to recognize the limitations that may exist with these trucks until a fix can be applied. They already acknowledged there is indeed a problem by issuing the TSB. The problem with the TSB is it doesn't specify which trucks are affected..........

The logical next question is, why doesn't it list which trucks are affected?....(because its a TSB and not a recall)
Nothing but questions and no answers
Why are they still replacing full transmissions rather than executing the repair procedure as outlined in the TSB, especially since some of these trucks have failed after the TSB was issued.
How traceable / trackable is the inferior part in question? (I doubt the snap ring has a serial number stamped on it)
Does Aisin / Ram know which transmissions received the faulty parts?
What guarantee does an owner have that the replacement transmission they receive will not exhibit the same failure as the previous transmission?
What guarantee does an owner have that the replacement parts installed to fix their broken transmission will not fail in the same manner or contain the same flaw?
I wonder how "trackable" the issue is, due to the nature of the part in question. I doubt that snap ring has a part number or serial number stamped on it. Can Aisin / Ram identify which transmission serial numbers received faulty snap rings?

Last edited:

Jedi

Reaction score
You are 100% correct. This is an opportunity for Ram to build customer relations and reputation by being transparent and by admitting to a problem and rectifying it, just as they did with the CP4 failures. It looks like the current plan is to sit back and wait, and "fix as they fail", rather than being proactive. I`ve been tracking these issues now for about two weeks and have just shy of 50 trucks on my list. My reach is limited to a small handful of internet forums and groups. So in 14 days I`ve been able to identify 49 trucks with this failure.....in my spare time. If I was actively engaged full-time in this process I would assume my sheet would be much larger. I`ve also witnessed countless others comment about having the same problem but have not been able to "reach" them due to the limitations on communication on some various online platforms. The math still works out to about 3 trucks a day. I`m sure for every one I am able to talk to, there is at least one other that I cant. In addition, when I get info back from owners who are going through the repair side, the common theme is "parts are backordered", "delayed for 30 days", etc. There is no question that this is a known issue. It is a safety issue as well. If you think about the wide range of user types, some of the trucks sold will fail immediately because they are being used daily in high-mileage applications. Yet others are sold to customers who use the truck on occasion to move travel trailers, or haul other items once in a while. Without identifying the trucks at risk, owners like myself are forced to continue to operate a truck that can`t be fully trusted. Period. You can claim "well you have over 20,000 miles so your transmission should be fine" but that is not concrete. If you look at the data I have collected, failures have occurred over a wide range of mileages. There simply is nothing concrete that we can base our trust in. We may very well see this issue carry on for months ahead. 2022 trucks are still on the way to dealer lots from Mexico, and more are being sold daily. Add to that the occasional use trucks that will be hitting the road for camping trips and summer season work tasks. A little transparency would give us all more clarity and possibly peace of mind, or at the very least allow us to recognize the limitations that may exist with these trucks until a fix can be applied. They already acknowledged there is indeed a problem by issuing the TSB. The problem with the TSB is it doesn't specify which trucks are affected..........

The logical next question is, why doesn't it list which trucks are affected?....(because its a TSB and not a recall)
Nothing but questions and no answers
Why are they still replacing full transmissions rather than executing the repair procedure as outlined in the TSB, especially since some of these trucks have failed after the TSB was issued.
How traceable / trackable is the inferior part in question? (I doubt the snap ring has a serial number stamped on it)
Does Aisin / Ram know which transmissions received the faulty parts?
What guarantee does an owner have that the replacement transmission they receive will not exhibit the same failure as the previous transmission?
What guarantee does an owner have that the replacement parts installed to fix their broken transmission will not fail in the same manner or contain the same flaw?
I wonder how "trackable" the issue is, due to the nature of the part in question. I doubt that snap ring has a part number or serial number stamped on it. Can Aisin / Ram identify which transmission serial numbers received faulty snap rings?
Just got off the phone with "RamCares". That was pointless. They looked up my VIN info and said "...looks like parts are on backorder and are in route to dealership". I let them know that I haven't been able to work with a 4x4 truck for 30 days and the reply was "I'm sorry to hear that". I asked if I could be reimbursed for a 4x4 rental pickup and the reply was "You would have to pay for that and try to get a reimbursement after, but no guarantee Ram would cover it". Today is day 30 since I dropped my pickup off at dealership. Service manager still claims there is no TSB regarding Aisin transmission problems on my 22' Ram 3500 H/O. When I printed it off and told him that RamCares told me to tell them about the TSB his reponse was "you can find anything on the internet". Amazing.....

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with "RamCares". That was pointless. They looked up my VIN info and said "...looks like parts are on backorder and are in route to dealership". I let them know that I haven't been able to work with a 4x4 truck for 30 days and the reply was "I'm sorry to hear that". I asked if I could be reimbursed for a 4x4 rental pickup and the reply was "You would have to pay for that and try to get a reimbursement after, but no guarantee Ram would cover it". Today is day 30 since I dropped my pickup off at dealership. Service manager still claims there is no TSB regarding Aisin transmission problems on my 22' Ram 3500 H/O. When I printed it off and told him that RamCares told me to tell them about the TSB his reponse was "you can find anything on the internet". Amazing.....
You need to drop that dealer as soon as you possibly can and tell the boss/owner why. We have a Chrysler dealer that has 2 stores in adjacent towns and the one in my town had an awful service manger that sounds very much like yours. After enough of us went to the owner he made the necessary change, but only after many of us bought vehicles elsewhere and we made no secret of why we did. So in our case money did talk (we spent it somewhere else) and bullsh!t walked (he canned the dipstick SM).

It really seems that Stellantis is setting themselves up for some very expensive legal action if they don't start making some serious moves to resolve this issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

He needs to find a new job on the internet. That kind of customer service and attitude are completely unacceptable.

I would be having words with the GM.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
He needs to find a new job on the internet. That kind of customer service and attitude are completely unacceptable.

I would be having words with the GM.
Amen.

I can’t do more than put the TSB in his lap.

A five minute search through dealer connect or star (or whatever they use) would have yielded the same result and would have validated the credibility

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Spoke with an owner this evening who had their Aisin replacement completed recently. They were kind enough to share the completed work order for the job. Take note of two things here. #1. When the snap ring does fall out of position, it can definitely cause damage to other components within the transmission itself, as evidenced by the diagnostic inspection referenced. #2. Take note of the reference to the “old AA” and “new AB” part numbers for the transmission that was replaced.
42F93468-4A66-4AC9-9117-8E609A45BCA7.jpeg

Last edited:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Spoke with an owner this evening who had their Aisin replacement completed recently. They were kind enough to share the completed work order for the job. Take note of two things here. #1. When the snap ring does fall out of position, it can definitely cause damage to other components within the transmission itself, as evidenced by the diagnostic inspection referenced. #2. Take note of the reference to the “old AA” and “new AB” part numbers for the transmission that was replaced. View attachment 51106

This is great. My work order is not as clear or thorough. I do have the AB part number… but that’s it. I have yet to crawl under mine to see if there’s anything on the actual tranny, but I’ll do it in the next few days for sure.
Here’s my RO

3f96a304ea687d75f376b803315eea01.jpg

And yeah…I realize my name, address and phone number are on here… but I own a business and a quick search would get anyone the same info. Not concerned.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
This is great. My work order is not as clear or thorough. I do have the AB part number… but that’s it. I have yet to crawl under mine to see if there’s anything on the actual tranny, but I’ll do it in the next few days for sure.
Here’s my RO

And yeah…I realize my name, address and phone number are on here… but I own a business and a quick search would get anyone the same info. Not concerned.

It is interesting to note on yours the STAR case number #102240352 as well as the comment:

"was informed that the Engines (assuming they mean engineers) are aware of the concern and the transmission needs to be replaced"

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
It is interesting to note on yours the STAR case number #102240352 as well as the comment:

"was informed that the Engines (assuming they mean engineers) are aware of the concern and the transmission needs to be replaced"

Yes. Engineers. Nikki mentioned this obscure third party to me several times while waiting for my truck.

Gottoknow

Reaction score
Ok I’ll add that info to your line on the sheet. Hopefully the swapped one will be a good one for you.

From how I read the TSB, it makes it sound like the repair is able to be performed without issues and that is the preferred method from Ram. That way they know the parts going in are machined correctly.
This doesn’t sound good. Just got my used 3500 a few days ago 12k miles. So as I understand it there’s nothing that can be done until or just wait until it fails!

Users who are viewing this thread