Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

Will_T

Reaction score
Hello,
"if we use the Mopar site to check and no recalls are found then our truck is definitely clear from the recall?" The answer to this is yes.

"trucks that are impacted by the relay problem, but still in Rams possession, are not recalled, but are "stopped sale." Incorrect, stop sale VINs are still under the recall. It is illegal to sell a vehicle with an open recall, hence the stop sale.

"In other words, Ram can not recall the trucks from Ram, only from dealers and customers that have already taken possession." Also incorrect, there are sold vehicles and unsold vehicles in recalls.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Perfect. Thanks!

boatdude1

Reaction score
Hello,
"if we use the Mopar site to check and no recalls are found then our truck is definitely clear from the recall?" The answer to this is yes.

"trucks that are impacted by the relay problem, but still in Rams possession, are not recalled, but are "stopped sale." Incorrect, stop sale VINs are still under the recall. It is illegal to sell a vehicle with an open recall, hence the stop sale.

"In other words, Ram can not recall the trucks from Ram, only from dealers and customers that have already taken possession." Also incorrect, there are sold vehicles and unsold vehicles in recalls.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
Thank you for clearing that up.

QCHunter

Reaction score
Ya but does it even work? My 13k mile truck still shows 15 miles is the other stuff updating?
I assume it will update the mileage after taking it to the dealer for an oil change. I’m only at 1700 miles right now so it’s still all new to me.

Doccs

Reaction score
Mopar parts still listing

Attachments

• 9885D8EA-33EF-4CB7-A3CE-EF40C32FE2FE.jpeg
    9885D8EA-33EF-4CB7-A3CE-EF40C32FE2FE.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 2C31B0D3-4213-4816-8F46-951042E745EB.png
    2C31B0D3-4213-4816-8F46-951042E745EB.png
    527.6 KB · Views: 63
  • B6D50E90-6D50-489F-BACE-EB34A3128D63.png
    B6D50E90-6D50-489F-BACE-EB34A3128D63.png
    442.9 KB · Views: 63

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Hopefully, this recall will not expand to include more trucks as they so often do. Supplier: Uh FCA, bad news, remember the bad component we used in the relay? You know, the one that goes inferno. Uh, well we used it in more relays than we thought.

It was 2020 after all.

Billet2021

Reaction score
I ordered my truck in middle Jan. Came in yesterday and took delivery today

2021 2500 Crew Cab Limited Longhorn 6.7 Cummins.

Dealer ran the vin and came back as not part of the recall.

JFV1134

Reaction score
My question is why not just disconnect the battery lead from the solenoid until parts are available? That would effectively disable the grid heater, but it would also remove any risk of a sticky solenoid and potential fire. In Montana we are above freezing at nights. Would this be an issue for emissions during a cold start? FCA has a track record of “band-aid’ing” recalls anyway (think upper tie rod tack welds).

Reaction score
My question is why not just disconnect the battery lead from the solenoid until parts are available? That would effectively disable the grid heater, but it would also remove any risk of a sticky solenoid and potential fire. In Montana we are above freezing at nights. Would this be an issue for emissions during a cold start? FCA has a track record of “band-aid’ing” recalls anyway (think upper tie rod tack welds).

This was my question too. What, if any, drawbacks are there to disabling this thing completely for now?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Disconnecting it will throw a PCM error that will likely prevent a start.

This is covered in any thread regarding the killer grid heater bolt.

renagade69

Reaction score
Is there a fuse number to pull to disconnect it if I am not driving it? So busy working the building boom in Florida I have no time to drive the truck. If not I will disconnect the battery posts.

MtnRider

Reaction score

I've had mine on my 16 disconnected for months. Not a single code, remote starts every day, and no issues starting due to the cold. But I can't see Ram actually doing it as a temp fix due to possible emission violations.

Last edited:

JFV1134

Reaction score
Is there a fuse number to pull to disconnect it if I am not driving it? So busy working the building boom in Florida I have no time to drive the truck. If not I will disconnect the battery posts.
No fuse unfortunately. That’s why there is a fire risk. The relay is directly connect to the battery. The grid heater pulls a ton of amps so the relay is actually a solid state solenoid. I’m betting whoever built the solenoid cut corners in manufacturing. The only way to disconnect it is to remove the lead going to the battery from the solenoid. This will disable your grid heater and make for harder cold starts.

renagade69

Reaction score
It looks like they started using a protective tape that fixes the fires.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V163-8370.PDF

The suspect period began August 5, 2020, when production of Ram 3500 vehicles equipped with the Relay began, and ended on January 8, 2021 when FCA US LLC ("FCA US") introduced protective tape into production. The suspect period was determined using field data and engineering change records.

Last edited:

MtnRider

Reaction score
It looks like they started using a protective tape that fixes the fires.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V163-8370.PDF

The suspect period began August 5, 2020, when production of Ram 3500 vehicles equipped with the Relay began, and ended on January 8, 2021 when FCA US LLC ("FCA US") introduced protective tape into production. The suspect period was determined using field data and engineering change records.

Tricky wording. Almost sounds like the tape could be the Cause of the fires, not the fix? Depends on how you read it. Was the tape introduced during that period or after?

Can't imagine that tape preventing a fire, but if not a high temp fire resistant tape I could sure see it over heating if the relay stuck and starting a fire.

Bigwalnuthoney

Reaction score
Tricky wording. Almost sounds like the tape could be the Cause of the fires, not the fix? Depends on how you read it. Was the tape introduced during that period or after?

Can't imagine that tape preventing a fire, but if not a high temp fire resistant tape I could sure see it over heating if the relay stuck and starting a fire.

"Description of the Defect : An electrical short in the Relay can potentially lead to a vehicle fire with the ignition on or off.". Sounds like the protective tape prevents the electrical short to me.

MtnRider

Reaction score
"Description of the Defect : An electrical short in the Relay can potentially lead to a vehicle fire with the ignition on or off.". Sounds like the protective tape prevents the electrical short to me.

I don't see how tape on the outside of a sealed relay can prevent a short.....

Description of the Defect : An electrical short in the Relay can potentially lead to a vehicle fire with the
ignition on or off.

Doccs

Reaction score

Vocoder

Reaction score
Since it seems like a solution has been identified, when can we hope that the stop sale order is lifted?

Users who are viewing this thread