Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok. So I'm the guy that uses a torque wrench on my drain plug, and this may be a bit overboard also.

I disconnected the relay from the battery, stuck the cable end into a finger of a thick rubber glove, and taped it up. Zip tied the taped up end to the fender strut, and called it isolated. This should take care of any fire danger until next year when the new parts are available. Any issues with doing this? Jimmy07 said I shouldn't throw any codes, so I'm thinking I should be good.
Aslong as you dont see temps below 10*F you should be fine without a grid heater anyway (I usually skip the preheat at any temps above that) and if you see lower than that i would be plugging the truck in anyway

Nd79

Reaction score
Just wanted to provide an update on this recall. I just checked my vin and it shows the recall active for my truck.
It's a 2021 3500 SO Cummins
Build date 3-21
So I was after the initial recall and fall into this new one. I spoke to my local dealer who has a great service department and are always transparent. He talked me through some of the checks over the phone, and it sounds like as many have speculated that they are recalling all trucks just to check them.

Here are a couple of the checks he walked me through:
-engine hours over 600 mark as complete (mine is over 600)
-check manufacture date. If built in Jan. And initial recall was completed, mark complete
He also stated parts are available according to his system.

He was going to do some further research and get back to me today. It sounds like my truck is in the clear but I will still check in with him after he has time to dig deeper.

My relay part number is 169AA like one of the others posted earlier. I will update once my truck is officially considered cleared or it is taken in for the recall.

Attachments

• PXL_20211025_151533770.jpg
    PXL_20211025_151533770.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 60

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Aslong as you dont see temps below 10*F you should be fine without a grid heater anyway (I usually skip the preheat at any temps above that) and if you see lower than that i would be plugging the truck in anyway

10* eh? Good to know. 12*, no prob, but 9 we need the grid heater!

Just wanted to provide an update on this recall. I just checked my vin and it shows the recall active for my truck.
It's a 2021 3500 SO Cummins
Build date 3-21
So I was after the initial recall and fall into this new one. I spoke to my local dealer who has a great service department and are always transparent. He talked me through some of the checks over the phone, and it sounds like as many have speculated that they are recalling all trucks just to check them.

Here are a couple of the checks he walked me through:
-engine hours over 600 mark as complete (mine is over 600)
-check manufacture date. If built in Jan. And initial recall was completed, mark complete
He also stated parts are available according to his system.

He was going to do some further research and get back to me today. It sounds like my truck is in the clear but I will still check in with him after he has time to dig deeper.

My relay part number is 169AA like one of the others posted earlier. I will update once my truck is officially considered cleared or it is taken in for the recall.

Yours appears to be the same as @Scooter29's on page 8.

Good info on the dealer conversation, thank you. I saw your comment on hours, but how many miles on your truck?

Will_T

Reaction score
It's attached to the edge of the battery tray.
Thanks! That helped me find it.

I assume if you do have temps this low, as long as you are not starting your truck until it gets warmer you are OK. I have seen some say zero degrees or below, others say just below freezing or 32 degrees. We have lots of temps 20 to 30 degrees but not too much below that. And what exactly would happen if you started your truck at 5 degrees without the relay connected to the battery? Would it just run very rough for a few minutes, or would you do damage?

Will_T

Reaction score
Ok. So I'm the guy that uses a torque wrench on my drain plug, and this may be a bit overboard also.

I disconnected the relay from the battery, stuck the cable end into a finger of a thick rubber glove, and taped it up. Zip tied the taped up end to the fender strut, and called it isolated. This should take care of any fire danger until next year when the new parts are available. Any issues with doing this? Jimmy07 said I shouldn't throw any codes, so I'm thinking I should be good.

I have that personality also! A good thing though.... I think.

I found mine this morning and I have the AA revision so I should disconnect it I guess. It is a bit hard to see but I am pretty sure I traced the relay connection back to the terminal shown with the pencil. That looks like where you disconnected it? I will do the same. How many miles have you put on the truck with it disconnected? I am not seeing any posts where disconnecting has caused any codes or anything but it has been so short a time still. @Jimmy07 said in an earlier post that all will be fine with it disconnected and we can usually take what he says to the bank!

Heater Grid Relay2.jpg

Heater Grid Relay.jpg

agtcovert

Reaction score

I assume if you do have temps this low, as long as you are not starting your truck until it gets warmer you are OK. I have seen some say zero degrees or below, others say just below freezing or 32 degrees. We have lots of temps 20 to 30 degrees but not too much below that. And what exactly would happen if you started your truck at 5 degrees without the relay connected to the battery? Would it just run very rough for a few minutes, or would you do damage?
I don't think you'd do damage, I tried last year when it was cold, skipping the preheat. Truck started fine (around 15 degrees F). Thing is, the computer cycles your grid heater on and off even after starting, if you watch your voltage gauge. I think the worst would be your DPF picking up more soot because of the cold start/low efficiency. That grid heater is running partly to help the cold start, partly to get things up to temp as quick as possible, the way I understand. Now, if your truck is missing a few parts, meh? I have a friend with a pre-emissions 5.9 who jumps in and fires it off and never does the wait to start. It barely smokes either, but he's taken great care of it. 250K plus miles.

I plug mine in below 30, not because I *need* to, but because when it's colder I like having heat quickly.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Couldn't find this posted anywhere in this subform: anyone else receive a notice of Recall Y76 for their truck?

I received it today via email, so I called to make an appointment and have been told that February is the earliest they can have parts for the repair (despite the MOPAR site specifically saying that parts are available).

February. While the recall document says "vehicle may catch fire while the vehicle is on or off", and recommends not parking in a garage or next to other vehicles. I can't do that for 3 months.

Curious to know what others have heard or been told.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
10* eh? Good to know. 12*, no prob, but 9 we need the grid heater!

Yours appears to be the same as @Scooter29's on page 8.

Good info on the dealer conversation, thank you. I saw your comment on hours, but how many miles on your truck?
Thats -15*C and just a reference, you are ridiculous lol

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

It may start and run rough for a min or so or it may fire and die i find at that temp it seems to work any lower and it is hit or miss

cycling4life

Reaction score
Mine is 169AB (7-21 build) and still part of the recall. I have an appt for the fix in a month.

IMG_3029.jpeg

Papa_smurf

Reaction score
Mines the 169AB. I disconnected it when I went home for lunch and it fired up and ran with no codes for the 15 mile trip back to work. I'll leave it disconnected until I take it in for the warranty check. I hope it's a 15 min check and I'm told all is good.

Will_T

Reaction score
I have an appt for the fix in a month.

Interesting. I have at least a couple of posts where someone has said they were told the fix would be available in February at the earliest. When you made the appointment did they give you any further information about exactly what they were going to do? Or was it just a scheduler who put you in an open slot. Hopefully they just look at yours and say all is good? I hope you don't get there and wait only to have them tell you "yes it needs to be replaced but we don't have the new part yet".

rfullen280

Reaction score
So, does anyone have a recommended thing to do until the “fix” occurs?

And, where is the relay itself physically located?

cycling4life

Reaction score
Interesting. I have at least a couple of posts where someone has said they were told the fix would be available in February at the earliest. When you made the appointment did they give you any further information about exactly what they were going to do? Or was it just a scheduler who put you in an open slot. Hopefully they just look at yours and say all is good? I hope you don't get there and wait only to have them tell you "yes it needs to be replaced but we don't have the new part yet".

I gave my VIN and I said that I'm scheduling to fix the recall. The service advisor asked if it's for Y76 recall so he knows what I'm coming in for. Puts me on hold to check their parts department and came back and scheduled me in.

unclelala

Reaction score
I have the recall as well with build 7/21. I phoned 3 dealers including the one I bought it from and they all said that the parts for the fix are not expected till Feburary so I'm going to buy some marshmallows so when my truck goes up like a roman candle I will be prepared !

CDNgoat

Reaction score
I have the recall as well with build 7/21. I phoned 3 dealers including the one I bought it from and they all said that the parts for the fix are not expected till Feburary so I'm going to buy some marshmallows so when my truck goes up like a roman candle I will be prepared !
I got the the same remark from the newbie service guy at the dealer out here, mine is the AB , no parts till FEB 22 said the new part says AA ,didn,t get the rest of it , I,m going to pull my own and see whats underneath, i assume thats where the short is coming from, not a big fan on disconnecting but hate to see it burn to the ground

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So, does anyone have a recommended thing to do until the “fix” occurs?

And, where is the relay itself physically located?
Disconnect it and of you have to cold of weather keep it plugged in. Or leave it and hope for the best

Users who are viewing this thread