Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Not using your Torklift frame-mounted tie downs? Or did I miss something?

You are correct - I am not using the Torklift mounts despite my belief that they were the best option. I had them with me when my camper was being mounted at FWC Jackson Hole / Bozeman and after much discussion I went with their expert recommendation and had my FWC mounted in the traditional way. In summary, I shared my questions and concerns and respected the fact that they have installed more FWCs than all other FWC dealers in the US combined, with the exception of FWC headquarters in California.

Although my Torklift system was installed it was never used so it is available for sale.

69HemiGTX

Reaction score
This such a cool build. Do you live in the Gloucester area? If so, I can't believe I haven't seen this around yet. I'm in Hayes.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
This such a cool build. Do you live in the Gloucester area? If so, I can't believe I haven't seen this around yet. I'm in Hayes.

My home is in Yorktown although my truck has been in Michigan at AEV until recently. Are you heading to Overland Expo East this weekend in the western part of Virginia?

69HemiGTX

Reaction score
I had no idea it was going on. I've been too busy with work as we're very shorthanded right now thanks to Army HRC.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
No other suspension manufacturer corrects front suspension geometry like AEV does. And convenient marks on the bolts also.

"Steering geometry is corrected by way of AEV’s High Steer Kit, which includes a custom, no-drill forged drag link, AEV track bar and raised track bar tower. This system provides significant improvements to steering precision and handling by correcting the roll center height of the front suspension and bringing the steering geometry back into factory alignment. This results in reduced body roll and bump steer, which are major contributors to the loose or sloppy steering and driver fatigue commonly associated with many lift kits."

2021-10-07_19.15.16.jpeg

Desertfox73

Reaction score

Greenhills

Reaction score

Greenhills

Reaction score
Correct! So far haven’t felt the need. The torque on this is amazing. It moves, and it cruises.
Interesting, glad you like it. I just went to 37s and wish I could regear.

Does AEV upgrade the brakes for the XL? I noticed a significant loss in braking when upgrading to the 37s. I imagine 40s must require some additional brake upgrades?

Desertfox73

Reaction score

Does AEV upgrade the brakes for the XL? I noticed a significant loss in braking when upgrading to the 37s. I imagine 40s must require some additional brake upgrades?
No brake upgrade, but haven't felt the need for that either. True, it doesn't stop on a dime, but I adjust my driving accordingly to allow for it. A couple weeks ago I was surprised by a small Mercedes that pulled out in front of me, which forced me to stand on the brakes, and they did their job. I wouldn't want to do that often, but it's nice to know that the truck can stop when it has to.

FWIW, my other car is a tuned Audi TTRS, which pulls 0-60 in 3.3s and will then come to a complete stop in about 105 feet. So when I switch into the PXL I adjust my driving habits and expectations considerably. Thus far I've been surprised at how quickly it'll actually rotate 40s from a stop, though I by no means 'push it' by hammering the gas. My mindset with the PXL is "I'll get there eventually", and just enjoy the ride.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

Do you have gas or diesel? I have the stock 3.73 on my diesel and the truck is very drivable with them. I may change to lower gears when they become available but the reason would be to put less strain on the 68rfe. My 2007 Cummins had 3.73s and 37s. I drove that truck for 13 years like that.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Do you have gas or diesel? I have the stock 3.73 on my diesel and the truck is very drivable with them. I may change to lower gears when they become available but the reason would be to put less strain on the 68rfe. My 2007 Cummins had 3.73s and 37s. I drove that truck for 13 years like that.
It's a Cummins. I will also swap gears when they are available next year (apparently) just to save the trans.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
It's a Cummins. I will also swap gears when they are available next year (apparently) just to save the trans.
My combination of 3.73s and 37s is the same final ratio of the 4th gen trucks with stock tires and 3.42s. I plan on adding some HP. More HP combined with 37s is the reason I may be changing when they become available.

I could almost swear the PXL I looked at on the lot had 4.11s. I guess not since they don't have them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread