Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

b307a1

Reaction score
My plans were to pick up my rig yesterday although my schedule changed and I most likely will not be back up to the Wolverine State for a few more weeks. My payment was wired over so all I need to do is show up and grab the keys. Hopefully in time for Overland Expo East in early October.
I'm sure you're itching to get it as bad as we are to see it!

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Today I decided to place my order for my onboard air system. The ExtremeAire Magnum compressor and several accessories were included in my order.

10.jpg

Specifications
20.jpg

It comes with a 7' heat dissipation hose
30.jpg

High temperature check valve
40.jpg

145 psi pressure switch
50.jpg

12 Vdc 100 amp relay
60.jpg

12 Vdc electronic blow-off valve
70.jpg

McHenry2500

Reaction score
What are your plans for installing the compressor?

This is the next big project I want to tackle and I am interested in how and where everyone installs theirs.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
What are your plans for installing the compressor?
Based upon my research and talking with Extreme Outback it looks like most folks mount it under the bed on the drivers site between the cab and rear wheel. There is quite a bit of room up there and despite it being an external area it stays quite clean. Others mount their compressor in the space that the spare tire occupied while at least one guy mounted his in the engine compartment. I even thought about mounting mine inside the cab since I will be outside the cab when filling tires and it would stay very clean in there but I am really leaning towards mounting mine under the bed. Running power and air lines will be much easier and it will leave me more space in the regular cab.

My only wish is that there were semi-custom brackets available so this was a simple bolt on application.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
@ramblinChet , are you going to get the snorkel kit when it becomes available?

I want one. I’m drawn to it mostly for nostalgia. I had a snorkel on my first XJ, before I rolled it the first time, and I remember my brother and I testing out the snorkel in some places we had no business being.
Definitely. When living in Florida many of the trails I ran were deep water and some were pretty long. I hydro-locked my new TJ in one hole (at idle) which convinced me to pick up a Safari Snorkel. Years later in a hurricane, I drove for nearly a quarter mile with the headlights submerged - no problems.

These days much of my time is spent in the forest and mountains alone. Although I do not intend to encounter deep water crossings you just never know how a distant rainstorm can impact local conditions. And in my profession I work to reduce risk to acceptable levels so the naturally helps me make better decisions regarding overland travel. I have also noticed the fine dust on the trails out west so I am happy to raise the intake up and install a pre-filter.

Another use of my onboard air system will be to blow that fine dust off my camper once I stop to set up camp.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Do you plan on adding an air tank to the system? I didn't see one on the list. Really easy with the nice system you have planned there.
I do although I have not calculated what size would be best since my primary use of the onboard air will be tire fills. My initial thoughts are a one gallon will be fine to use as a buffer.

b307a1

Reaction score
Yo Chester!

When you get a chance can you take a picture of your drivers side interior door panel and an interior shot of your camper extended and collapsed.....thru the back door.

Users who are viewing this thread