Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

mcarey

Reaction score
Would you recommend the softopper for a cross country trip with dogs in the back? It will be all southern states but the temps at night can still dip down low in the colder months. Mostly concerned about the tarps ability to provide a good seal against the wind.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I'll try to take a photo when I am at the house, but when I go on the road with my (crated) dog I will roll the front corners of my soft topper up, as well as the entirety of the back panel.

I also attach a battery powered stroller fan to the door of the crate.

No idea on temps, but she hasn't ever seemed impacted in anyway.

phrogman

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a 1500 topper on a 2500? Curious if it would work on my 2022? The bed length and the rear width were the same. The front width was a bit wider on the 2500.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a 1500 topper on a 2500? Curious if it would work on my 2022? The bed length and the rear width were the same. The front width was a bit wider on the 2500.

If its from a “classic” 1500 it will fit. I have a tonneau cover from a 1/2 ton on my truck during the winter no width issues

phrogman

Reaction score
That's good to hear. Gives me more options in my search for a used one. Thanks.

chas0218

Reaction score
My plan is to get a gooseneck trailer to replace my bumper tow. I'm looking at the hard tri-fold tonneau covers but this soft topper has peaked my interest. I am thinking about the super topper because it mounts on top of the rails and has the integrated brake light. how much does this take up from the front of the bed when folded up? I am leaning more towards the tonneau cover because I should be able to keep at least 1 section folded down to try and keep things dry.

I really wish they made a hard top tonneau that had a hole in the top with a boot for a gooseneck. You'd be able to keep everything nice and dry and still utilize the gooseneck. I'm not sure if you would be able to get the gooseneck hitch high enough to clear the cover but just kind of thinking out loud.

mcarey

Reaction score
My plan is to get a gooseneck trailer to replace my bumper tow. I'm looking at the hard tri-fold tonneau covers but this soft topper has peaked my interest. I am thinking about the super topper because it mounts on top of the rails and has the integrated brake light. how much does this take up from the front of the bed when folded up? I am leaning more towards the tonneau cover because I should be able to keep at least 1 section folded down to try and keep things dry.

I really wish they made a hard top tonneau that had a hole in the top with a boot for a gooseneck. You'd be able to keep everything nice and dry and still utilize the gooseneck. I'm not sure if you would be able to get the gooseneck hitch high enough to clear the cover but just kind of thinking out loud.
I'd imagine the bigger issue would be having a cover that has a hole in it when you're not hooked up.

Plus the gasket/boots I'm thinking of, typically work inserting things from the inside out. If you came in top down, you had a funnel that'll hold water. Add in some movement and you're gonna be leaking near instantly.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

I think you’d be better off with a couple of big totes than trying to invent a top with a hole in it

UglyViking

Reaction score
Is price isn't a concern, truckvault makes a version built for goosenecks (link) which would allow you to have a permanent storage system, and you could combine that with the softopper for a sort of best of all worlds. Well, best except for the wallet. Totes are always a great option for storage, but obviously security isn't ideal, but just depends on what you're storing.

chas0218

Reaction score
I'd imagine the bigger issue would be having a cover that has a hole in it when you're not hooked up.

Plus the gasket/boots I'm thinking of, typically work inserting things from the inside out. If you came in top down, you had a funnel that'll hold water. Add in some movement and you're gonna be leaking near instantly.
I was thinking something similar to what they use on metal roofing and running a clamp to seal the top. That would allow a little play in the boot and i can invert the funnel.

I think you’d be better off with a couple of big totes than trying to invent a top with a hole in it
You're probably right but might look around the internet a little. If i can't go with a hard cover maybe i can get a canvas shop to sew a boot into a soft top.

Is price isn't a concern, truckvault makes a version built for goosenecks (link) which would allow you to have a permanent storage system, and you could combine that with the softopper for a sort of best of all worlds. Well, best except for the wallet. Totes are always a great option for storage, but obviously security isn't ideal, but just depends on what you're storing.
I like that but was hoping for more depth.

The main reason i wanted to do this was for security of belongings in the bed. The soft tops can just be cut open with a cheap box cutter. But out of sight out of mind. I've done totes in the back of my open truck bed and not a fan. Not that they don't work is just the idea of them maybe not sealing completely or someone just waking away with them

Blowenblu

Reaction score
yes it does. How much are you noticing that extra headroom?
I was up in the air about getting a high rise and am so glad I did. The extra height makes a world of difference. I'm 6' tall and can bend over and walk around in it. I could never do that under a normal cap. I always had to get on my knees. And it really helps make that long bed look shorter and blend with the truck better, which is another plus for me.

Attachments

• IMG_9309 - Copy.JPEG
    IMG_9309 - Copy.JPEG
    601.1 KB · Views: 79

phrogman

Reaction score
Top came in last weekend. Started the install late in the day today but it's on. Still need to finish the rear crossbar and the doggy window. The install is not difficult but it's a lot more time consuming installing it by myself. So far, I really like the way it looks. We'll see how it holds overtime.

fb49c2965bc57ae14b57ad12c45fdc7a.jpg

Last edited:

CrimeCruncher

Reaction score
Do you just have a third brake light on your topper? Or do you have interior lighting and all that?

on my ARE I asked them not to wire it so I could do it myself. It was just two wires hanging inside the top for the third brake light.

if it has interior lighting, I would just add it to the bed lighting circuit.
Probably a stupid question, I haven't purchased a new canopy before....I have a 2500 in Delmonico Red, and was wondering if manufacturers paint most existing factory colors to match, or that is my responsibility after the fact???

Thanks!!

joelp

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, I haven't purchased a new canopy before....I have a 2500 in Delmonico Red, and was wondering if manufacturers paint most existing factory colors to match, or that is my responsibility after the fact???

Thanks!!
the big manufacturers (snugtop/ARE) have access to manufacturer paint and the shells match well color wise.

Dave88LX

Reaction score

Thanks!!
When I ordered my Leer, they requested the paint code so that they could color-match it.

Users who are viewing this thread