Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

IronByron

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread around caps (or whatever you prefer to call them) so folks could get an idea of what everyone is using on the 2019 and up.

After some internal debate and skepticism I ended up going with a Softopper and couldn’t be happier. It’s the best of both worlds as far as protection of items in the bed and being able to take it down for large items in the bed. All doubts were shed after getting it installed (and consequently stowing it and redeploying, super easy). It’s sturdy and not noisy (at least up to 60 mph that I have gone so far)

I might go with a hard top someday but for now this absolutely works!

ad0d4f6f75be50f64b858a9f2e3e5502.jpg

TexMarQue

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread around caps (or whatever you prefer to call them) so folks could get an idea of what everyone is using on the 2019 and up.

After some internal debate and skepticism I ended up going with a Softopper and couldn’t be happier. It’s the best of both worlds as far as protection of items in the bed and being able to take it down for large items in the bed. All doubts were shed after getting it installed (and consequently stowing it and redeploying, super easy). It’s sturdy and not noisy (at least up to 60 mph that I have gone so far)

I might go with a hard top someday but for now this absolutely works!

ad0d4f6f75be50f64b858a9f2e3e5502.jpg
That’s a sharp looking truck.

Distillusion

Reaction score
The only thing I think is a shortcoming on the softopper is the lack of the center brake light. You can't see the top cab light, so I rigged one up. I bought an inexpensive LED light for a 3rd stop light and mounted it on my last one, which was on a Ram 1500. I didn't have trailer wiring in the bed, so I ran brake light power and ground up from below the bed, behind the left taillight, into a 2-wire cable in the bed. 3 small holes in the softopper, all sealed up carefully, to allow two small mounting bolts and the wiring. Some wire loom.

Won't have run wire with the 2500, since the trailer wiring is right there in the bed wall already - you get a 7-pin jack with the fifth wheel / gooseneck prep group and you just need an adapter.

Here are pics of how it turned out on the 1500, and it will look much the same on the 2500.

This is the light itself. 15" wide, cost about $10 on Amazon. 12VDC. It's 3-wire, ground, dim, and bright, so that you can use it as a trailer taillight/brakelight combo. I didn't use the dim light feature, just the bright feature.

DSCN3155.JPG
There was a tube coming out of the back, designed to protect the thin wires when you mount it on a metal trailer frame. The wires run out through it. I wanted it to be as thin as possible so that it folds nearly flat with the topper when you collapse it. I trimmed that tube off carefuly and resealed it with silicone.
DSCN3165.JPG

IronByron

Reaction score
The only thing I think is a shortcoming on the softopper is the lack of the center brake light. You can't see the top cab light, so I rigged one up. I bought an inexpensive LED light for a 3rd stop light and mounted it on my last one, which was on a Ram 1500. I didn't have trailer wiring in the bed, so I ran brake light power and ground up from below the bed, behind the left taillight, into a 2-wire cable in the bed. 3 small holes in the softopper, all sealed up carefully, to allow two small mounting bolts and the wiring. Some wire loom.

Won't have run wire with the 2500, since the trailer wiring is right there in the bed wall already - you get a 7-pin jack with the fifth wheel / gooseneck prep group and you just need an adapter.

Here are pics of how it turned out on the 1500, and it will look much the same on the 2500.

This is the light itself. 15" wide, cost about $10 on Amazon. 12VDC. It's 3-wire, ground, dim, and bright, so that you can use it as a trailer taillight/brakelight combo. I didn't use the dim light feature, just the bright feature.

That is awesome! Guess I have my next project identified.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
i ordered the magnet strips and velcro for the tailgate flap... gonna try and see how it works tomorrow afternoon.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
ARE MX Cap... I had to make some simple mods that should have been done at the factory to make this more weather resistant.
Molded some new ABS edges so the tailgate cap extends all the way to the edges and used permatex to seal up all the gaps in the back door so water doesn't come running in... otherwise happy with the cap.

Will be running additional interior lights and connecting the existing light from the cap into the cargo lights.

20190719_131417.jpg

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Those of you that have or had Softoppers, how is the view through them while sitting in the cab of the truck using the rearview mirror or looking over your sholder? After seeing your trucks, I think it might be a perfect fit for my use. With having our 5th wheel camper, I am leaning towards a roll-up tonneau or the Softopper. I have had hard caps/toppers/shells on my last 2 Dakotas (I love the "dry" space these provide), and a quad fold hard tonneau on my old Ford (which spent most of its time open because it was heavy and awkward to open and close).

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
the view out the rear is about the same as any hard shell. it's the slightest bit more distorted than clear glass, but
if you've had a jeep before, it's exactly the same. i rarely look over my shoulder, as the tow mirrors on these trucks
are quite good, in my opinion. now, when backing up it is a slight issue due to the side panels not being clear.
backup cam and mirrors are needed for sure. it's not anything a normal experienced pickup driver couldn't adjust
to.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Agree with @elephantrider - last time I used a hard cap, it did have a little larger rear window and the view was slightly better than through my softopper. But the softopper is quite adequate for normal driving. I have it folded down most of the time, anyway. It's only up for inclement weather or long road trips when we have luggage in the bed.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
i JUST got my truck back from the dealer on warranty work and trailer brake controller install. leaving for
buena vista co. in the morning through sunday, so it will be next week sometime before i get to that :confused:

IronByron

Reaction score
i JUST got my truck back from the dealer on warranty work and trailer brake controller install. leaving for
buena vista co. in the morning through sunday, so it will be next week sometime before i get to that :confused:

Understand that. Hopefully nothing serious for warranty work?

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Ugh I want a shell so bad but they are so expensive. I had a tri-fold tonneau on my last truck but I don't think I'll do that again

My dilemma involves camping with dogs and NOW a newborn. It was fine with my son in the back with the dogs but now there won't be enough room for the baby as well. My idea is to put the dogs in the bed which is where the cap come into play. I would like to think the soft top is the best route because it's cheaper, but I also have a fairly substantial need for securing and weather proofing items year round

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Well, the softopper was a "Hard NO" from the wife, we have decided to go with the soft tonneau (Truxedo Deuce) for primary usage and find a used hard topper for trips and times where we need the additional storage height

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
Understand that. Hopefully nothing serious for warranty work?
here was my list, and the outcome. most of it cnd, of course lol

g33k247

Reaction score
I have had a bed topper on every truck I've ever owned until now. With this new 2500 I went with a Diamondback HD bed cover and I'm loving it. I can load 2 ATVs on top of it and still access the bed storage under the cover. It gives me more capacity for hauling ATVs to the trails and the option to not have to tow a toy hauler at all just to go riding.
signal-2019-08-15-195428.jpgsignal-2019-08-15-185134.jpg
signal-2019-08-15-203413(1).jpg
IMG_20190912_160449.jpg
IMG_20190912_160500.jpg
IMG_20190912_160219.jpg

Last edited:

IronByron

Reaction score
I have had a bed topper on every truck I've ever owned until now. With this new 2500 I went with a Diamondback HD bed cover and I'm loving it. I can load 2 ATVs on top of it and still access the bed storage under the cover. It gives me more capacity for hauling ATVs to the trails and the option to not have to tow a toy hauler at all just to go riding.
View attachment 1415View attachment 1416
View attachment 1421
View attachment 1418
View attachment 1419
View attachment 1420

That’s awesome! Also the truck didn’t seem squat much with the weight (I too have off road package and wasn’t sure how much she would squat compared to traditional suspension or leaf springs).

Very cool!

g33k247

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Also the truck didn’t seem squat much with the weight (I too have off road package and wasn’t sure how much she would squat compared to traditional suspension or leaf springs).

Very cool!
Take a look at this YouTube review for more information:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
the magnet and velcro idea worked like a charm.

Attachments

• 20191010_171233.jpg
    20191010_171233.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 258
  • 20191010_171334.jpg
    20191010_171334.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 256
  • 20191010_171322.jpg
    20191010_171322.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 257

Users who are viewing this thread