Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

steve49

Reaction score
With the ARE installation instructions, you have to tap into the door lock wiring on the driver or passenger side door step wire channel under the carpet. I would think it would apply to Leer as well since you can't tap into the tailgate anymore.

Reaction score
With the ARE installation instructions, you have to tap into the door lock wiring on the driver or passenger side door step wire channel under the carpet. I would think it would apply to Leer as well since you can't tap into the tailgate anymore.
They told me that’s what they did and still couldn’t get it to work. They say they have it figured out. I just need the time to take it back in.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I picked up my Leer XQ topper today, I really like the looks of it on the truck, seems to be well made, the installer had no issues getting the power lock to work (they tapped into the lock \ unlock wires on the drivers side footwell.
It was supposed to have the tube light installed but it didn't come with one and the dealer is working on fixing that, there was also a small blemish on the tailgate cover which the dealer is getting with Leer about as well.
Here are a few pics..

Attachments

• IMG_4931.JPG
    IMG_4931.JPG
    834.2 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_4930.JPG
    IMG_4930.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_4929.JPG
    IMG_4929.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4928.JPG
    IMG_4928.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4927.JPG
    IMG_4927.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 315

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
Many great pics here. Very very helpful. Seems like all the Leer folks go with the XQ instead of the XL - any reasons in that decision?

Also @steve49 can I bother you for a picture standing back and capturing the entire truck with the cap on it? Thanks much !

steve49

Reaction score
Many great pics here. Very very helpful. Seems like all the Leer folks go with the XQ instead of the XL - any reasons in that decision?

Also @steve49 can I bother you for a picture standing back and capturing the entire truck with the cap on it? Thanks much !
Here is a link from another thread.

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Just picked up mine from the installer yesterday. Leer 100XQ.

Anyone else get a Leer with the power lock?
View attachment 2822

Dang, I am disappointed that the 100XQ glass does not go all the way up to the cab like the 100XQ on my 3rd Gen does. Makes it very sleek, almost SUV-looking.

How are you liking this one?

smokedbystang

Reaction score
I have a Ranch topper on my 2012 Ram 1500 and love it. I took the topper off in the garage and put it on my 2020 Ram 2500. Fits perfect but the problem is I cant get the truck out of the garage now! Haha. Back end is too high. I get halfway out and have to stop. My only solution is lower the rear (not going to happen) or get a soft topper or trifold cover. I did swap over the bedrug though.

Attachments

• 1122200754a_HDR.jpg
    1122200754a_HDR.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 1212201049_HDR~2.jpg
    1212201049_HDR~2.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 118

BWolfE84

Reaction score
Hwy guys, i read this entire thread and I didn't see my question whish is why I am asking.

I want to put a truck cap on my 2020 Mega cab. I have the surround camera and cargo camera systems. I know I will loose the cargo camera with the truck cap but does that affect the surround camera?

Thanks in advance.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Hwy guys, i read this entire thread and I didn't see my question whish is why I am asking.

I want to put a truck cap on my 2020 Mega cab. I have the surround camera and cargo camera systems. I know I will loose the cargo camera with the truck cap but does that affect the surround camera?

Thanks in advance.

Surround on my 2019 works just fine with the ARE MX I have installed.
Pretty sure it just uses the Front/Rear Cameras and the ones under the side mirrors...

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Pretty sure it just uses the Front/Rear Cameras and the ones under the side mirrors...
Ditto. I removed my CHMSL with camera and replaced with a lower profile version without a camera, so the fakra connector is sitting unused at the moment and surround works just fine. Next time I have a reason to go somewhere I'll try to remember to snap a pic.

BWolfE84

Reaction score

Ditto. I removed my CHMSL with camera and replaced with a lower profile version without a camera, so the fakra connector is sitting unused at the moment and surround works just fine. Next time I have a reason to go somewhere I'll try to remember to snap a pic.
Thank for the info. Gondul, did you remove your camera as well. Just curious if it can stay installed.

Rogue 2500

Reaction score
Thank for the info. Gondul, did you remove your camera as well. Just curious if it can stay installed.
Like LateToTheParty, I changed my third brake light assembly. I had the CHMSL and Surround camera. I left the CHMSL camera plugged in and tucked it into the cab hole. My surround works with no problems.

The reason I swapped mine out is because the plastic housing broke and started to leak badly into the cab. (I don't think there is a good leak). It you take your truck off road, you may want to consider the swap with a low profile third brake light assembly. It seems the truck flexed enough to allow the canopy to hit the third brake light with CHMSL. I was not wheeling that hard for it to happen. LR6_DSC07126.JPG

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

My Camera/CHMSL is still there... I have a decent amount of space between it and the cap (I can measure in the morning if you'd like) I have a grand idea of moving the camera into the cap (or something like that)

BWolfE84

Reaction score
My Camera/CHMSL is still there... I have a decent amount of space between it and the cap (I can measure in the morning if you'd like) I have a grand idea of moving the camera into the cap (or something like that)
Into the cab is a great idea......(light bulb went off)

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

Mine is still all original, there is 1" of space between the ARE MX cap and the top edge of the CHMSL
.20201228_162126.jpg

20201228_162211.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread