Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
i jumped on the tollway to see if the magnet would be strong enough to hold the rear flap down.
got up to 90 or so, and it held, so happy. also allows easier access. that was the only part i didn't
like about the topper.

BravoZulu

Reaction score
Here’s mine

I’ve had a hard shell topper for years and love em...Throw your gear in the back and forget about it!

47ad3a222edc29c4a2c97ac5bd39372b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BravoZulu

Reaction score
Thanks All!

Picked up the truck last month, absolutely love everything about it so far!

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Im glad I get to see these on our trucks instead of the websites only showing on the other makes. Do all the cab levels have a slight upwards angle towards the rear? Are any truly flush the whole way back?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Im glad I get to see these on our trucks instead of the websites only showing on the other makes. Do all the cab levels have a slight upwards angle towards the rear? Are any truly flush the whole way back?

It looks angled in pictures, but in person it looks flat. Having the cap on definitely accentuates the rake of the truck though.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Looks great!

I've had a 100XQ ordered since 3 DEC 2019. As of two weeks ago, Leer had not yet created a new mold for the 2019/2020 RAM 2500 with 8-foot bed.

Did something change on the 8th bed? The cap on the 6’4” is the same one from 2018. I wish it were new, as thenI wouldn’t have had to spend an extra $60 for a non-camera third brake light.

BravoZulu

Reaction score
It looks angled in pictures, but in person it looks flat. Having the cap on definitely accentuates the rake of the truck though.

Agree

Also, the top of the roof line on a Ram cab tapers down a tad bit toward the back glass.The caps are flat.

With the tapered roof line where it meets the capper, it makes the cappers look higher in back.

Look at the roof line on the cab on Ram Vs. Ford etc.

My old F150 was flat all the way across the top and the cap appeared flat also compared to the Ram roofline.

depot44

Reaction score
Just picked up mine from the installer yesterday. Leer 100XQ.

I'm considering that same model. Any chance you have measured the opening from the truck bed to the top of the rear door opening? I'm wondering about fitting bikes in their (without the front tire attached).

Sarge33Army

Reaction score
Did something change on the 8th bed? The cap on the 6’4” is the same one from 2018. I wish it were new, as thenI wouldn’t have had to spend an extra $60 for a non-camera third brake light.
My local dealer said that there was a change with the 8-foot bed. Anyway, Leer has more than 100-orders waiting production of the updated 100XQ for the 8-foot RAM bed. Leer is still taking pre-orders. The "word" is that they will begin production late-February. I just hope that mine arrives by mid-April and is bug/error-free.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Welp, decided to go for the leer XR with added carpet liner. Just went to an outfitter yesterday. Don't know how long it will take though

So now I can be more comfortable going camping since we will be able to put the dogs in the back. Although now I kind of want a sliding drawer system back there so I can stow the trailer stuff while the dogs are back there. I like the DECKED system but idk if I want to pay that out right away. I do have a bed extender I could use to separate the dogs from the equipment for now

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm considering that same model. Any chance you have measured the opening from the truck bed to the top of the rear door opening? I'm wondering about fitting bikes in their (without the front tire attached).

It’s funny you ask, I actually puchased the cap for that very reason. I was planning on putting a BedSlide in, but both my mountain and gravel bikes only have 2-1/2” of clearance to the opening, and that’s with the front wheels off and the dropper posts all the way down. So the bikes definitely fit, but if you don’t have droppers or very small bikes you’ll have to lean them (or remove the saddles) to get them in.

I actually didn’t get a full opening measurement, but I’ll take one today one the snow clears a little.

depot44

Reaction score
So the bikes definitely fit, but if you don’t have droppers or very small bikes you’ll have to lean them (or remove the saddles) to get them in.

I actually didn’t get a full opening measurement, but I’ll take one today one the snow clears a little.

Thanks Jeremy, that measurement would be great. The bikes we're looking at do have drop handles, but without that measurement I can't be sure they'll fit. Funny you mention Bedslide, because I'm considering that also. FYI, if you're not aware already, the current Bedslide has about 70% extension, but they have announced they'll be producing a 100% extension model. When I asked them about availability, they estimated it would be late this year (2020).

Rudyp4848

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread around caps (or whatever you prefer to call them) so folks could get an idea of what everyone is using on the 2019 and up.

After some internal debate and skepticism I ended up going with a Softopper and couldn’t be happier. It’s the best of both worlds as far as protection of items in the bed and being able to take it down for large items in the bed. All doubts were shed after getting it installed (and consequently stowing it and redeploying, super easy). It’s sturdy and not noisy (at least up to 60 mph that I have gone so far)

I might go with a hard top someday but for now this absolutely works!

ad0d4f6f75be50f64b858a9f2e3e5502.jpg
I absolutely love this! I’ll be doing this to mine very soon. How is is holding up so far? A27827BD-99EB-49A5-ADBA-6131F9768611.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread