Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 HD Security Gateway Module Location for Programmer

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
we're still on ibm mainframe and will be for the foreseeable future, for core processing. just now getting the network infra business to move to sdwan, and a sprinkle of cloud connect access. ton of money to be had taking cisco to the competitive cleaners lol 3rd party optics are so cheap that I can self spare and not worry. oem support is a non issue in my space.

Skooter76

Reaction score
You don't even need to pull the knee bolster.

Just pull the headlight switch panel surround and you can easily access the two CAN blocks.

View attachment 4697
View attachment 4698

View attachment 4701
Also I discovered by accident that the CANbus blocks come right out. They are attached on the back with two hooks/tabs. Just push it up from the bottom and you can almost pull them through the hole to plug in your connectors much easier. Also makes access to the locking tabs for removing the connectors a whole lot easier.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Is there any other option for the Security Module Bypass Cable other than KaodTech?
Just seen a message from his partner in the vendor section on another forum- says he’s slammed with regular job and catching up on orders. Just keep checking daily. Otherwise, you could go with this style- https://www.infotainment.com/products/fca-security-gateway-module-bypass?variant=8775773945892
The thing that sucks about this one is installing it on the HDs for the first time. The instrument cluster has to come out, but after that, you can free up enough slack on the two connectors to drop them down enough to reach them from under the dash for future removal/reinstallation of the gateway module.

EastCoaster

Reaction score
Just seen a message from his partner in the vendor section on another forum- says he’s slammed with regular job and catching up on orders.

Jimmy07, Thanks for the information. I have tried messaging them twice in the past week and I have not received any reply.
Was starting to wonder about their customer service skills.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Jimmy07, Thanks for the information. I have tried messaging them twice in the past week and I have not received any reply.
Was starting to wonder about their customer service skills.

A lot of people that do this have day jobs and sometimes demand catches up with them. Hell, the big guys can't even keep up right now.

The simplicity of the website is a testament to that fact.

If you can't wait, there are other options. However, those may also have delayed shipping.

EastCoaster

Reaction score
A lot of people that do this have day jobs and sometimes demand catches up with them. Hell, the big guys can't even keep up right now.

The simplicity of the website is a testament to that fact.

If you can't wait, there are other options. However, those may also have delayed shipping.

I would rather wait if that is the best option. But, I also think if somebody has a business
and selling a product for profit, they should at least take time to answer questions from
potential customers, even if they have a day job. Maybe I am expecting too much!

goodoldcbcjohn

Reaction score
So will the KaodTech bypass allow you to make changes to the radio (ie Nav in motion) or do i need to use the one the is behind the instrument panel? I have a 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So will the KaodTech bypass allow you to make changes to the radio (ie Nav in motion) or do i need to use the one the is behind the instrument panel? I have a 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins...

You can not access the radio module with the kaodtech bypass, but you can with the other style. When you do access the radio module, there are no changes that can be made to it, and definitely not nav in motion. All of the items in the radio module list are just test functions, or user toggles that can be done normally in the settings menu on the screen, so there’s no advantage of being able to connect to the radio.

goodoldcbcjohn

Reaction score
You can not access the radio module with the kaodtech bypass, but you can with the other style. When you do access the radio module, there are no changes that can be made to it, and definitely not nav in motion. All of the items in the radio module list are just test functions, or user toggles that can be done normally in the settings menu on the screen, so there’s no advantage of being able to connect to the radio.

Gotcha....my last vehicle (18 Jeep JL) Had the 8.4 and i was able to do all of that stuff....that’s kinda disappointing but is what it is...

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Gotcha....my last vehicle (18 Jeep JL) Had the 8.4 and i was able to do all of that stuff....that’s kinda disappointing but is what it is...

Sorry, I assumed you were thinking of using AlfaOBD to access the radio and get nav in motion (which AlfaOBD can’t do on any Uconnect radio). If tazer offers a unit for the 2019+ HD Rams that has this feature, you’ll need the bypass that plugs into the gateway connectors behind the cluster. The tazer is able to do the nav in motion because it is a live function (remains plugged in) that is modifying messages to the radio.

goodoldcbcjohn

Reaction score
Sorry, I assumed you were thinking of using AlfaOBD to access the radio and get nav in motion (which AlfaOBD can’t do on any Uconnect radio). If tazer offers a unit for the 2019+ HD Rams that has this feature, you’ll need the bypass that plugs into the gateway connectors behind the cluster. The tazer is able to do the nav in motion because it is a live function (remains plugged in) that is modifying messages to the radio.

I actually have both the MK+ / AlfaOBD and the tazer from my JL...Supposedly i can just get the T bypass and reflash my Tazer JL to work on the RAM...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I thought I saw someone on another forum was able to disable the loudness setting on an 8.4 (using another bypass)? Perhaps it's in the CSM and he just wasn't aware...

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I thought I saw someone on another forum was able to disable the loudness setting on an 8.4 (using another bypass)? Perhaps it's in the CSM and he just wasn't aware...
That was SitKneelBend. He has a 2014, so he didn’t have a gateway to worry about.
It actually is a CSM on certain 8.4 software applications for some FCA vehicles, just not Ram or Jeep GC for some reason. But, yes, what he did was the equivalent of toggling on the loudness feature that would be in the audio settings if it had that CSM.

DJMarkTX

Reaction score
Hey guys I’ve read thru the thread and I’m seeking a bit of clarity…

I bought a bypass from Deereguy a few years ago for my 2018 1500, I’ve since sold that truck and kept the bypass cable.

I now have a 2022 2500 6.4 HEMI.. Can I use my old bypass cable from the 1500 or do I have to have a different one since it’s a 2500?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will_T

Reaction score
I junked that Bypass and ordered a Kaodtech bypass.
https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

To make it less confusing, I have edited my question to reflect what I am now thinking would be the way to use the security bypass from Kaodtech and also use my iDash. It looks like the bypass cable would work if once connected to the truck, I could plug my iDash into that? The bypass replaces the factory OBD but the bypass has a female end where you are supposed to reinsert the factory OBD you removed to install the bypass. So, the iDash could be reinserted into the factory OBD once the factory OBD is connected to the end of the bypass. Confusing but do I have it correct now?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread