Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 HD Security Gateway Module Location for Programmer

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I see the green block but I am trying to plug in the infotainment SWG bypass and don't know what plugs to unplug and connect to the bypass

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
162b3fd091adf308e5cf170918c9a23d.jpg
That one goes behind the instrument cluster. It replaces the actual security gateway module.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you're doing it on a 1500, then the SGM connections are behind the knee bolster.

@BGWS I did the same thing thinking it was a simple plug and play. Not so much on the HD as you have to rip out the instrument cluster.

I just bought the Koadtech bypass cable and have the other just in case - or just in case I actually sell it to a 1500 owner.

I could be wrong, but I believe some have relocated the SGM to under the steering column for easier access. Can't say what sort of warranty issues that could potentially create.

BGWS

Reaction score
Unless you're doing it on a 1500, then the SGM connections are behind the knee bolster.

@BGWS I did the same thing thinking it was a simple plug and play. Not so much on the HD as you have to rip out the instrument cluster.

I just bought the Koadtech bypass cable and have the other just in case - or just in case I actually sell it to a 1500 owner.

I could be wrong, but I believe some have relocated the SGM to under the steering column for easier access. Can't say what sort of warranty issues that could potentially create.
So the koadtech just plugs into the oBd port then the green/white and green/black? Then plug obd bluetooth onto other pigtail on the koadtech? I hope so as I ordered the koadtech today

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
no. the kaod unit jumps the terminal blocks, that reside behind the headlight switch area.

BGWS

Reaction score
no. the kaod unit jumps the terminal blocks, that reside behind the headlight switch area.
Yes these terminals. Then the male plug on koadtech gets plugged into the obd port, then obd Bluetooth gets plugged into the female plug of the koadtech.... Correct?
09d6bc24ef6fe5af9a5769ec02e407f7.jpg

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
yup! once you have the terminal blocks jumped with the corresponding pigtails, the factory obd plugs into the obd on the harness.

BGWS

Reaction score
yup! once you have the terminal blocks jumped with the corresponding pigtails, the factory obd plugs into the obd on the harness.
That is way easier on the 2500hd than the infotainment bypass is. Guess I might sell the other one... Thanks everyone

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish the Koadtech cable was just a tiny bit longer on the OBD split. I can stuff my reader up next to whatever module is close to the parking brake foot and the wire bundle there, but it's not as far in there as I would like. I even took the header cover off and flipped it to run towards the firewall to get that much.

jadmt

Reaction score
That’s only half of a bypass, though. It only bypasses canbus IHS. It’ll work for some changes, but not all.
I know it works for tire size and psi and gear changes. I use it on my 2020 PW which I know it is not supposed to work but does. My buddy is using it on his 2020 as well.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I know it works for tire size and psi and gear changes. I use it on my 2020 PW which I know it is not supposed to work but does. My buddy is using it on his 2020 as well.
Like said, it’ll work for some stuff, but not all, because it only bypasses one of the two busses. It worked for what you needed to do, but I wouldn’t recommend it, because people will start buying it and getting deeper into changes, and eventually someone will come across a setting it doesn’t work for, and have to spring for a full bypass anyway.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Like said, it’ll work for some stuff, but not all, because it only bypasses one of the two busses. It worked for what you needed to do, but I wouldn’t recommend it, because people will start buying it and getting deeper into changes, and eventually someone will come across a setting it doesn’t work for, and have to spring for a full bypass anyway, then come here and bitch about it.

FIFY. ;)

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I actually had a troubleshoot that I took on over at 5thgenrams, where a setting wasn’t taking for a module being added. It took 5 days of racking my brain, and everyone else in the thread, before he shows the pic of the bypass being used. It was the AEV one, and it was the reason.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually had a troubleshoot that I took on over at 5thgenrams, where a setting wasn’t taking for a module being added. It took 5 days of racking my brain, and everyone else in the thread, before he shows the pic of the bypass being used. It was the AEV one, and it was the reason.

Going OT for a bit.

I just had a similar experience on an install at a client site this week. The non IT/comms folks might get lost here...

10GbE fiber LAN links on server won't come up. Ask the (client) network guys to double check their settings, admin down/up the ports, check the SFP state, etc. "We're all good here, must be the cable or your side." I had already checked T/R lights and cross-connected a cable between my ports and they lit right up. Asked again they check the state of the SFP's in the switch. Duh, they finally realize they installed LR SFP. Why on earth would someone install LR SFP to go 10M across a small DC floor? On top of that, we gave them specs for our "PCIe2 4-port (2x10GbE+2x1GbE) SR Optical fiber and RJ45" cards AND had a technical review prior to install to go over the requirements.

:oops:

ETA: I forgot to also say that we discussed the cable requirement, which was Multi Mode Fiber (MMF). SR runs over MMF, LR runs over Single Mode Fiber (SMF). I've also fixed customer induced problems form SAN "engineers" plugging SMF cables into SAN Fabric switch SR SFP. Derp.

Last edited:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
@Brutal_HO curious if you guys use oem optics exclusively or delve into 3rd part optics from finisar, proline, etc....

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Brutal_HO curious if you guys use oem optics exclusively or delve into 3rd part optics from finisar, proline, etc....

Many of the OEM's use Finisar optics anyway, they're just coded to work in certain brands (AFAIK). I've only ever seen Finisar in Brocade/McData switches and older IBM storage as long as I can remember. I know we've had issues trying to interchange optics between brands (esp Cisco) before. Last time I tried to use an IBM supplied SR SFP in a Cisco switch, it didn't work. As I recall there seems to be two camps, Cisco or Cisco compatible, and Brocade or compatible. I don't get into the off-brand network stuff so I've no idea what's what there.

Since I focus primarily on IBM Power Systems and Storage, including both IBM branded Cisco and Brocade fabric switches/directors, all our optics come as part of the orders. For LAN fiber cards, they are always included as the cards use different firmware depending on SR or LR options chosen. Being primarily on the delivery side of the IT integration world, I'm not involved in any purchasing, and not always even involved 100% in the presale architecture side.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
yup, totally understand the optics origin. they come with my router and switch purchases as well. I'm pushing a program to replace oem optics with 3rd party optics. TONS of savings opportunities, especially at my level of spend.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
yup, totally understand the optics origin. they come with my router and switch purchases as well. I'm pushing a program to replace oem optics with 3rd party optics. TONS of savings opportunities, especially at my level of spend.
You gotta hammer those vendors harder. :)

The issue of 3rd party becomes one of support and all the finger pointing that goes along with it. The only people that like it are the purchasing agents. LOL

The SAN switches/routers/directors don't generally go as deep on the deals, but I've seen IBM storage sold as low as 10% List. $5M arrays at $500K... It's insane how much all flash storage you can buy these days and how little space it consumes.

Users who are viewing this thread