Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUX pass-thru wiring.

SFAngus

Reaction score
Look at my edited post. There should be FOUR new pass-thru wires. Probably just blunt cut taped up in a bundle.
Oh ok, cool.

Before I saw your update, I figured out that that W550 wire looks like it goes to "U" which is listed simply as "Dash pass thru."

Screenshot_20210404-151356_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210404-151423_Drive.jpg

I just popped the hood to look for it, and found these four blunt cut wires. (They had an additional piece of yellow tape around them, which I removed).

20210404_151648.jpg

So, I'm guessing one of those is W550. (It's hard to tell if the colors match exactly).

But where are the other three coming from? I just saw in your update that there's four additional pass thoughs now, but I don't understand where the other three come from. (Sorry to be dense).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh ok, cool.

Before I saw your update, I figured out that that W550 wire looks like it goes to "U" which is listed simply as "Dash pass thru."

View attachment 14425

I just popped the hood to look for it, and found these four blunt cut wires. (They had an additional piece of yellow tape around them, which I removed).

View attachment 14427

So, I'm guessing one of those is W550. (It's hard to tell if the colors match exactly).

But where are the other three coming from? I just saw in your update that there's four additional pass thoughs now, but I don't understand where the other three come from. (Sorry to be dense).

"White Upfitter jumper"

First image in post #35

1617578622010.png

If you can see where that wire bundle penetrates the firewall, it might help those that want to add them.

SFAngus

Reaction score
"White Upfitter jumper"

First image in post #35

View attachment 14435

If you can see where that wire bundle penetrates the firewall, it might help those that want to add them.

Ok, I'll try to figure it out...

So, here is everything that my wiring kit came with:

20210404_162504.jpg

There is another set of wires with a black plug, but no white jumper. If I remember from reading other threads, I think the black plug was for PTO applications?

However, three of the wires in the black plug look like the correct colors to correspond with the three remaining blunt cut wires under the hood:

20210404_162530.jpg

W547 (Beige/Dark blue)
W548 (Beige/Brown)
W549 (Beige/Dark green)

That leaves W550 (Beige/grey) as the remaining pass through in port #2 of the grey plug.

But, if that's the case, what are the remaining wires in the black plug?

(Three thin wires: black, pink, and violet).

20210404_162545.jpg

Every time get one part of this figured out, another mystery arises.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try to figure it out...

So, here is everything that my wiring kit came with:

View attachment 14436

There is another set of wires with a black plug, but no white jumper. If I remember from reading other threads, I think the black plug was for PTO applications?

However, three of the wires in the black plug look like the correct colors to correspond with the three remaining blunt cut wires under the hood:

View attachment 14437

W547 (Beige/Dark blue)
W548 (Beige/Brown)
W549 (Beige/Dark green)

That leaves W550 (Beige/grey) as the remaining pass through in port #2 of the grey plug.

But, if that's the case, what are the remaining wires in the black plug?

(Three thin wires: black, pink, and violet).

View attachment 14438

Every time get one part of this figured out, another mystery arises.

The "White" is probably the one under the dash or a typo/mixup. That black jumper is D2433A based on the wire colors and pin count.

SFAngus

Reaction score
The "White" is probably the one under the dash or a typo/mixup. That black jumper is D2433A based on the wire colors and pin count.

Ok, that makes sense... any idea what those other three wires would be? I might just shoot an email over to the commercial guys at Ram and see what they say.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense... any idea what those other three wires would be? I might just shoot an email over to the commercial guys at Ram and see what they say.
Black is ground. Purple with brown stripe is PTO remote switch sensor ground. Pink is PTO remote switch sense.

SFAngus

Reaction score
Black is ground. Purple with brown stripe is PTO remote switch sensor ground. Pink is PTO remote switch sense.

Ahh thanks! I wasn't too far off...

Do you know if I can tap into that ground and use it in the cab for electronics?

EDIT: I tested the ground and it seems good. I'm using it to ground my CB and GMRS radios. It is a small gauge wire, so if you wanted a bigger ground you could use one of the other pass-thru wires, and hook it into the ground in the AUX inputs under the hood.

Last edited:

SFAngus

Reaction score

You were right. (Shocking, I know...)

The female plug that the new jumper/pass thru plugs into is white under the dash. (A little confusing, since the plug that they provide in the wiring kit is black).

It's up under the dash to the right of the grey pass thru, and a little more difficult to reach, as it is held firmly in place behind another bundle of wires.

Here's a photo:

20210406_132238.jpg

20210406_210210.jpg

This is with the D2344A plugged into it:

20210406_132354.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone! I was able to successfully get the AUX6 switch wired up to the G425 pass thru today. Works great.

spg993tt

Reaction score
in the processing of freeing up my white upfitter ocnnector from Ram jail, i noticed these 7 blunt cut wires near the main PDC. there are 4 near the aux pdc for the passthru, but anyone know about these 7, what they feed? see images

Attachments

• 74v1.jpg
    74v1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • 74v2.jpg
    74v2.jpg
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 1,184

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
in the processing of freeing up my white upfitter ocnnector from Ram jail, i noticed these 7 blunt cut wires near the main PDC. there are 4 near the aux pdc for the passthru, but anyone know about these 7, what they feed? see images
Snow plow lighting/interface prep

spg993tt

Reaction score
got it just about done today. used the white Upfitter connector with the 6 wires. 3 are pass thru, 2 are PTO stuff, 1 is a wimpy ground.
i used a 3 pin deutsch connector. we use them in my race car, they are pretty flawless, easy to crimp the pins and barrels and easy to assemble and disassemble. and i tried to find those Yazaki? connectors, impossible to find them, any instruxtions for pinning, removing. if you were to buy like 10 to 100 of them, you cmaybe could do so. just went with the duetsche connectors i had in my basement. solid. connector.jpg
i used 2 of the passthrus for power, connecting them thru the deutsche connector to Aux 1 and Aux 2. ill use aux 1 for my radar and save aux 2 for future dashcam or something else up there. i then used that third passthru to connect to port3 on the 2nd upfitter connector for ground, a more substantial gounding cable. so in the end, i have 3 cables inthe cabin drivers foot area, 2 with 12v power powered on/off by aux1 and aux 2 and then a nicer ground.
started raining but tomorrow or when it stops raining, ill run the radar wire along the mold up the a pillar across the top above the molding and done.

was a fun project, but she ends there. thx for all the help.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice.

If I could afford the Deutsch connectors, I'd use them instead of the aptiv/delphi weatherpak I got.

spg993tt

Reaction score
weatherpak makes nice stuff. i only had those deutch connectors as i had a few left over from a dash install we did on one of our customer race cars a bit ago.
anyway, for those who stumble into this thread, here's a smidge more info i learned today. got in the RJ11 radar detector hard ware kit, ran it along the roof molding and then a pillar molding, took 2 minutes to get in place, no panels needed removing. once connected realized an issue...seems as though on my ram 3500, that Aux1 and Aux2 do not "remember last state". you can change latching momentary, and battery/ignition, but the Last State is greyed out. cant adjust it. always turns off. w hich wasnt ideal, i just went under the hood and moved the wire from Port 1/Aux1 to Port 3/Aux3. those Yakazi connectors are pretty easy to pull out connections you just have to use a small screw driver and pull the white inner frame clip on the male side towards you, then you can pull the wire out 1-2-3. i wrestled with it for 5minutes before figuring that out,a nd of course that was right there in the directions.
but, not in the directions, atleast not that i found, was the inability to edit Last State for Aux1 and 2. so on Aux 3, its all good now.

Will_T

Reaction score
That is strange. Maybe it changed for 2021 but this is what my manual says:
All switches can now be configured for setting the switch type operation to latching or momentary, power source of either battery or ignition, and ability to hold last state across key cycles.

spg993tt

Reaction score
greyed out on mine. says "Unable to modify State - see manual" and the Last State is greyed out. no biggie but not sure the reason why. maybe because 1 and 2 are the bigger amp circuits, 40 i believe, and maybe they want the car coming on first and you then select it to let that bigger juice fly. maybe, who knows. no biggie, but figured id mention it. ill grab a photo later.

Cheetah

Reaction score
Noticed something on my 2021 build sheet with the Aux Switch option (LHL):

"Dash Pass Thru Wire Circuits"

Is this a reliable indication of vehicles that have the additional pass-through circuits?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
greyed out on mine. says "Unable to modify State - see manual" and the Last State is greyed out. no biggie but not sure the reason why. maybe because 1 and 2 are the bigger amp circuits, 40 i believe, and maybe they want the car coming on first and you then select it to let that bigger juice fly. maybe, who knows. no biggie, but figured id mention it. ill grab a photo later.

All the AUX circuits support up to 40A (28A continuous). You can move the fuses around at will. Just don't exceed the total combined that's listed. Info is in the upfitter docs/diagrams.

1618521733664.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

spg993tt

Reaction score
here is the imnage. some bizarre behavior. when i went thru commercial settings just now, to get you the photo, aux1 looked like it could infact now allow a Last State change to on. earlier today both AUx1 and 2 were greyed out onthe Last State toggle. the rest were able to be edited, and aux 3 4,5 i was able to change Last=On. i then moved the connector wire from port 1 to port 3. so all resolved for me that way just using aux3 for the radar control though it comes on all the time, a quick push of the aux button to turn it off when noisy.
anyway when i went to snap the photo of the greyed out Last State, Aux 1 looked like it was editable. wasnt greyed out. Aux 2 still was, see image.
aux 3 looked fine, in the On position, and editable. see the message it gives, cant tell if that something where the computer needs to see the load and 'approve it' but when i the wire into port 1 aux 1, it wouldnt allow it. or i needed to let it run for a while to let the computer monitor it??? i have no idea.
but a bit all over the place, and since im up and running on 3, as much as i normally dig tracing and bugging this stuff, i have no interest here. 1 is now editable, 2 which has nothing in it except the extra spare wire i ran into port2/aux 2 but has electrical tape on the end with nothing connected in the cabin..that is greyed out cant edit, thats where the message below comes from. and 3 where my radar now resides is also editable.
wierd.

Attachments

• 20210415_170018.jpg
    20210415_170018.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 66

Users who are viewing this thread