Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regular vs Platinum BlueDEF

21Limted

Reaction score
Peak now has a “Platinum” version of their BlueDEF which supposedly “reduces future deposits” in the exhaust/SCR.
Sounds like marketing b.s. to me... Does anyone have any data to suggest this is a worthwhile investment? It costs about 40-50% more, which still doesn’t add up to much, but I have no intention of throwing away my hard earned money if it’s a gimmick.

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
I've used it a couple times when it was the only def available at the service plaza. Only thing I noticed was a different box and a LARGER price tag. upwards of 29$ in New York state service plaza's for 2 1/2 gallons. Highway robbery

MtnRider

Reaction score
DEF is DEF, don't be fooled into buying fancy snake oil. Cheap Wal Mart DEF is just as good.
The SCR is the last piece in the exhaust and other then maybe getting a clogged DEF injector I'm not seeing where "deposits" that they are claiming they are preventing is doing anything.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Def is def cheaper the better until it gets deleted for me

21Limted

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Those were my thoughts too. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something I was missing.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Regular Ole cow piz for me, straight from the pump At the truck aisle.

Rob122

Reaction score
Do you guys all buy DEF In a jug? We have it here at the pumps at truck stops. 3 bucks a gallon or so. It's all I've ever used. I suppose if I took a big trip and it was a concern I'd carry a spare jug. My 19 seems to run about 50:1 to diesel, give or take.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Do you guys all buy DEF In a jug? We have it here at the pumps at truck stops. 3 bucks a gallon or so. It's all I've ever used. I suppose if I took a big trip and it was a concern I'd carry a spare jug. My 19 seems to run about 50:1 to diesel, give or take.
I use it from the pump as well. No mess, no fuss. If I ever am on a long trip and no pump def, there is a Walmart in every town.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Pumps are far and few around here

MtnRider

Reaction score

I've never used the pump DEF. Some people swear by pump DEF claiming it is "fresher" (no proof of that) but I've never had issue with the jugs at Wal Mart and it's too easy.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I've never used the pump DEF. Some people swear by pump DEF claiming it is "fresher" (no proof of that) but I've never had issue with the jugs at Wal Mart and it's too easy.
Common sense tells us that it is fresher based on volume use since all new big rigs use it and fleets are constantly upgraded. Actual proof.......I guess you could ask how big their storage tank is and how often it is filled. That being said, how do you know that the box def has always been stored properly? In 10 years or so I have never experienced an issue with def used from the pumps. To each his own though.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I'm running an Edge CTS3 on my 2020. One of the PIDs is DEF concentration which I am monitoring.
DEF concentration is supposed to be 32.5%, mine is showing 33%. The point being, if anyone is concerned about the DEF quality you can know what it is with an Edge.

I am also monitoring the DEF dosing (how much is being injected)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm running an Edge CTS3 on my 2020. One of the PIDs is DEF concentration which I am monitoring.
DEF concentration is supposed to be 32.5%, mine is showing 33%. The point being, if anyone is concerned about the DEF quality you can know what it is with an Edge.

I am also monitoring the DEF dosing (how much is being injected)
Lol the only thing ill be monitoring is the ODO till its delete time after the warranty....def is cheap why worry that much about it?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Lol the only thing ill be monitoring is the ODO till its delete time after the warranty....def is cheap why worry that much about it?
I'm in no way worried about it. Since I have the ability I'm curious to know its quality and what it's doing. The quality sensor in the DEF tank will alarm at 22%. I am interested in watching that to preclude any alarm and the ensuing effects.

I return your "lol" regards you monitoring your ODO. Deleting is such a violation and so illegal, I'll never do that.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm in no way worried about it. Since I have the ability I'm curious to know its quality and what it's doing. The quality sensor in the DEF tank will alarm at 22%. I am interested in watching that to preclude any alarm and the ensuing effects.

I return your "lol" regards you monitoring your ODO. Deleting is such a violation and so illegal, I'll never do that.
Putting tunes on a truck even emission compliant ones are considered illegal here even going up more than 2 sizes of tires is illegal so that would put tons of people in the illegal category but if your not causing trouble you wont have an issue

John Jensen

Reaction score
Putting tunes on a truck even emission compliant ones are considered illegal here even going up more than 2 sizes of tires is illegal so that would put tons of people in the illegal category but if your not causing trouble you wont have an issue
I know all that, my reference was only about deleting. It is the worst of all the emissions violations. Nothing can top its flagrancy, enormity or impact. Deleting is known to be what triggered the EPA to actively enforce diesel vehicle rules and come down so hard on tuners, etc. So, thank you deleters for making it so tough on the rest of us.

Users who are viewing this thread