Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Industrial Injection CP3 pump and installation and follow on use!

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello everyone, we would like to relay the latest update to you here regarding your concerns with the CP4 pump. There is currently a service solution in progress for all 2019- 2020MY vehicles equipped with CP4 high pressure pump. Further updates will be announced here as soon as more information becomes available. In the meantime, please know that our team remains available to assist in resolving serviceable vehicle concerns via private messages. Thank you,

Kathryn
RamCares

Chunkem

Reaction score
Hey everyone!!!

So there has been a lot of talk about the CP4s and the CP3 release for 21 model year but instead of getting all wrapped around the axles and the risk of all the headaches, I ordered my industrial injection CP3 conversion.

So I figured in a positive way id put out there my experience, installation when it comes in as a DIY (at the risk of patience with me) and give you some insights and tips I learn along the way.

I already have a few things for you guys who are interested. One is the instruction manual, tools things to get ordered up.

So let’s kick this off. Here is the kit I got https://www.industrialinjection.com/product/6-7l-cummins-cp4-to-cp3-conversion-kit/

I used code eddieslife and saved about $140 which was much appreciated. Any little bit helps.

Here are the instructions. Read through them as it gives you hints to what you’ll need as far as tools.

Here are a few things I purchased to help with the install
b77ef6e36771d691f182a9fb2abc5834.png

1cffb165d64532ce018fcd41e5e3ba88.png

d5f2f64cf9c7994466765c339c2e1a7a.png

The gear will be reused from your CP4 to CP3 so I wanted to get a decent puller.
You’ll want a 26mm socket to remove the nut on the gear (see instructions for awareness) so I got this one. Might only ever use it once so didn’t need an amazing set up. Also I would not recommend an impact thought it’s rated for it.
Blue loctite to really secure the new mounting plate, ECM hardware and the pump itself.

Overall that’s what I got for you at the moment but more to come. Please have patience with me as I have a family, job and obligations but I’ll get this done for ya and I’ll do it myself so I can give you a good expectations.

No job isn’t without it’s surprised but I think we can do this.

Here is a picture of my truck as well cause pictures make the forum happy
50f5cddb85b1acdf1a4138b61434236c.jpg

e4a568c4b4a3f25010035688e3d3adb9.jpg
You have a beautiful truck. Good luck with the install.

Take care and stay safe.

Ed

Cummins3

Reaction score
Now if FCA/cummins do us right as I think they will hopefully and we get the cp3 installed on the 19-20MY. Will you regret this cp3 install lol I would hope they maybe reimburse guys that have converted

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Sorry just got off of work. Looks like some significant developments today. Awesome to see and to be hopeful for.

Hmm to answer the questions, don’t regret it? Nope I don’t. I can’t predict the future so no reason crying over spilled milk. Rather I’ll be rooting for you all to get the swap done.

I’m sure someone said it or thought about “what about warranty” well mine is done anyway as it is since I can’t leave things alone.

Nothing but the best though for this TSB announcement. I’m sure it will be like a Covid vaccine, everyone needs one but slow to get it. Either way let’s get after it.

I’ll keep the instal and write up going as usual it will be a couple weeks anyway before I do so let’s see what happens.

All best gents!!! Thanks for stopping in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Sorry just got off of work. Looks like some significant developments today. Awesome to see and to be hopeful for.

Hmm to answer the questions, don’t regret it? Nope I don’t. I can’t predict the future so no reason crying over spilled milk. Rather I’ll be rooting for you all to get the swap done.

I’m sure someone said it or thought about “what about warranty” well mine is done anyway as it is since I can’t leave things alone.

Nothing but the best though for this TSB announcement. I’m sure it will be like a Covid vaccine, everyone needs one but slow to get it. Either way let’s get after it.

I’ll keep the instal and write up going as usual it will be a couple weeks anyway before I do so let’s see what happens.

All best gents!!! Thanks for stopping in.

Lol like “covid” the cp4 issue is wildly over talked about considering the small percentage it affects.... i had to lol

Cummins3

Reaction score
Nordic the line everyone talks about that they have to bend let us know how u make out with it and pics..... I wonder if the ss is the same and have to bend lines outta way

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Lol like “covid” the cp4 issue is wildly over talked about considering the small percentage it affects.... i had to lol
You may say small percentages it affects, but I have had 2 cp4 pumps replaced before 9871 miles. and only 12200 miles on my 2019 currently. First one at 2700 miles, second at 9871 miles and that's just 1 truck.

I'm So looking forward if they do a CP3 conversion.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
You may say small percentages it affects, but I have had 2 cp4 pumps replaced before 9871 miles. and only 12200 miles on my 2019 currently. First one at 2700 miles, second at 9871 miles and that's just 1 truck.

I'm So looking forward if they do a CP3 conversion.

Hopefully they do.
Seems like a lot of failures are early on in the lower miles.

Anyway regardless I’ll give you guys the answers you need to do this yourself if that’s the route you either choose to go or have to go in the future.

LossPrev

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to document this for us! Also, really dig the positivity about the situation and even when talking about the other guy's youtube channel.

I think I'm going to wait to see what Ram does with this TSB and probably for my powertrain warranty to end but once thats up this would be a mandatory install for me. I was kind of confused by S&S and now this thread about the different shaft sizes, mainly what is the benefit and is there a downside. Since I have a stock SO I'm guessing a non-over driven, standard pump would be best?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to document this for us! Also, really dig the positivity about the situation and even when talking about the other guy's youtube channel.

I think I'm going to wait to see what Ram does with this TSB and probably for my powertrain warranty to end but once thats up this would be a mandatory install for me. I was kind of confused by S&S and now this thread about the different shaft sizes, mainly what is the benefit and is there a downside. Since I have a stock SO I'm guessing a non-over driven, standard pump would be best?

Sure thing it should be a good experience I’m looking forward to it.

To be honest with you the difference is subtle. it’s really the industrial injection pump that has the 10 mm internal which in my opinion would be less overall stress on the pump and more future capability of delivering demand at higher HPs, but really the CP3 is quite robust as it is. I don’t believe there’s going to be that much difference between the S&S pump and the industrial pump for your application I think at this point it’s really whatever you feel comfortable with, who you can get in contact, the customer service, and price.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
wht are the failure symptoms..how do you know yer pump is going bad..truck just stop? or code??

NordicNevs

Reaction score
They don’t fail over time usually, if ever. It’s a pretty abrupt thing but it quint be filled with fireworks. Your truck will die, won’t start and many have posted getting fuel filter change / service fuel system notifications.
There will be codes but I’m not familiar with what they are currently.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Alright gents this Friday I’ll start it assume all goes well this week. Taking an extra day off for it so we will see.

Unrelated my airbags arrived so hopefully those can get on there too before to long.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Which creeper did you get? Last time I did the valve lash on my 05 Cummins I was really wishing I owned one.

Here ya go

On the pricey end
Traxion 3-100 Foldable Topside Automotive Engine Creeper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QGXSODA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_O6obGbCJ4TYXJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have a plan to zip tie some microfiber rolled up towels where they make contact with the grill not to do damage. That’s my only gripe with these.

Users who are viewing this thread