Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always on Camera Solution - NAViKS

zhauler

Reaction score
got an update and they said they're working on implementing some code before they ship my unit..

said Friday ship date, will let them know they can keep another week if they think it would help...

RBarrett

Reaction score
Yes they told me you have a 2020 so they know there are issues that need addressing before they send one out to you. We are meeting this next week and have alotted at least two days to work through the issues. My understanding is the process will involve both hardware and software in hopes of making their product what I think we all want. We need to let this process run its course. I believe Naviks goal, and ours as well is to sell us a product that does what they say it does, and is what we all want it to do, with no surprises for us as users and no unhappy customers for them to try to satisfy. If we can hold together long enough to see this through we can maybe save some $$$ as well as get a better more thoroughly sorted product . If you can hang in there zhauler I think you will come out ahead.

zhauler

Reaction score
Yes they told me you have a 2020 so they know there are issues that need addressing before they send one out to you. We are meeting this next week and have alotted at least two days to work through the issues. My understanding is the process will involve both hardware and software in hopes of making their product what I think we all want. We need to let this process run its course. I believe Naviks goal, and ours as well is to sell us a product that does what they say it does, and is what we all want it to do, with no surprises for us as users and no unhappy customers for them to try to satisfy. If we can hold together long enough to see this through we can maybe save some $$$ as well as get a better more thoroughly sorted product . If you can hang in there zhauler I think you will come out ahead.

no worries on this! I have been following and aware of what y'all are doing.... I wouldn't have bought it expecting a feature to work that wasn't confirmed working....

if the bed and reverse cams stay on when I need them to, I'm happy with what I get :D

if I can also provide constructive feedback I'm more than willing to... I'm a techie from birth and professional since 00....

drew

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Now thats my kind of talk, i like saving money :cool:

MikeXM

Reaction score
Now thats my kind of talk, i like saving money :cool:
I thought you were not happy with the current deal?
Don't think he meant saving additional money, but just sticking together as a group to get the group discount going.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I thought you were not happy with the current deal?
Don't think he meant saving additional money, but just sticking together as a group to get the group discount going.
Don't read to much into it, i was just talking it up about the " saving some $$$" comment. I like to see 3 dollar signs, not two, implying a hundred dollars off . I know that's not what he meant, i was just having fun with it. Just want to add as well, its not that I'm unhappy with the deal, because its a pretty fair deal, i just believe that we can do better as well as naviks buy upping the number of members and then intern lowering the cost a bit more. Win win for everyone. I normally personally would never even consider a group deal, but if all things worked out to be ideal than I would do it. IE: more folks interested, less cost, group buy is only for a group code for a deal and everything is handled like a normal one on one confidential sale. I definitly hope that they take care of RB, he has been a huge help to there company on his personnel time as well as helping consumers to purchase a better product. We need more folks like Rb and Bryan at Nichols and the guys at naviks. We all should appreciate them a ton, i know I do.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Well it's been almost a wk since your last post on this thread, and i am, as I'm sure most are , wondering how's it going over there, how did the meet and greet go, what changes have been made and corrected and what still left to work out. What's the + & - in your view of the product so far and where are we at with what may still need to be done for Maximum technology performance In or vehicles. Again thank you very much for your work in helping out future naviks customers

RBarrett

Reaction score
Well it's been almost a wk since your last post on this thread, and i am, as I'm sure most are , wondering how's it going over there, how did the meet and greet go, what changes have been made and corrected and what still left to work out. What's the + & - in your view of the product so far and where are we at with what may still need to be done for Maximum technology performance In or vehicles. Again thank you very much for your work in helping out future naviks customers
Yes it has been almost a week and due to the way I cross the country Internet is a little hard to find. But I have it right now so ... met with two reps from Naviks for the majority of the first of two days we had planned. We started by my showing them the issues I had identified as problems. Then they did a bunch of testing and downloading of stuff from my truck with various boxes and a laptop. New software was loaded to my system and we drove the truck very briefly to see if more was needed. Things seemed good so a second day was deemed unnecessary. We talked briefly about how to proceed with the group of us buying these. The bottom line here is they would prefer I finish my evaluation IE my trip, and report anything noteworthy to them before we set up our group buy. They want to make sure nothing else is needed. I have not given them any feedback yet but plan to call them Monday with an update. I will post some of what you really want to know a little later but things look really good so far.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yes it has been almost a week and due to the way I cross the country Internet is a little hard to find. But I have it right now so ... met with two reps from Naviks for the majority of the first of two days we had planned. We started by my showing them the issues I had identified as problems. Then they did a bunch of testing and downloading of stuff from my truck with various boxes and a laptop. New software was loaded to my system and we drove the truck very briefly to see if more was needed. Things seemed good so a second day was deemed unnecessary. We talked briefly about how to proceed with the group of us buying these. The bottom line here is they would prefer I finish my evaluation IE my trip, and report anything noteworthy to them before we set up our group buy. They want to make sure nothing else is needed. I have not given them any feedback yet but plan to call them Monday with an update. I will post some of what you really want to know a little later but things look really good so far.
Awesome sauce RB. I would of thought that was the given in the equation that they didn't want to put a dozen of these things out all at one time and then have a bunch of complaints. We fellow members as well I'm sure as naviks are all very grateful for your r&d. I'm anxious to hear all the good and then the buttttt it doesn't do this items, hopefully few and far between. Safe travels brother

RBarrett

Reaction score
I have traveled several hundred miles since meeting with Naviks. The navigation portion of the product is activated by a 4 second hold in of the left center steering wheel. This freezes the Nav unit and opens the keyboard for input. On the 2020 2 Aux camera truck of mine this action triggered an unwanted source change in the audio system. This was addressed and no longer does this. The cameras in motion seemed to work well from the get go however the side cameras with the blinker function didn't work. This now appears to function correctly. This is turned on and off by using the mute switch on the radio face. Pushing the mute button, wait 3 seconds and pushing again activates this fuction. When in the camera in motion function turning on the blinker will set the screen to the side view and then move out to the farthest outer view the same way you can do it now if stopped. It takes a moment for this to happen as you can see on the Naviks video. One very interesting aspect of this blinker camera view thing is that it seems to work no matter what you have up on the screen. If you have a split screen with nav and serius info for example the blinker function will take over while the blinker is active. This takes a little longer since the software must add the step of turning on cameras in motion first. This is a very nice feature merging onto the freeway especially for you guys pulling trailers. Shutting this function off involves the same mute the audio for 3 seconds thing. Holding in the right center audio button on the back of the steering wheel starts up the cameras in motion function. It is shut down the same way or by hitting the X in the upper right of the display. This function will come back on with the camera view you had on last . Since I have a bed mounted camper on my truck I have no aux camera hooked up at this time. I put a replacement tailgate camera on the back of the camper so my surround view looks like an empty stock truck. The camera views are what we all have now so there isn't much to say other than THEY STAY ON. I am still figuring out how to best use the various views. With the wide angle rear camera you can see cars coming well up into your blind spot. If you are in the right lane just leaving the left side camera on is another interesting way to set it up. Hard to think about should you look at the mirror or screen though. I'm sure you guys would find other ways to use it. So far some of the more unique uses for me so far are traveling down very narrow dirt roads with the mirrors folded to avoid branches etc and to keep an eye behind me for jeeps atvs etc. Using the front camera to see when I can't see over the hood on steep uphill grades. This is great just wish it had steering lines though. I also came to a section of road that had slumped off into a river taking more than half the road on the passenger side of the truck with it. I was able to move the drivers side of the truck up the embankment and see how close the passenger side tires were to the drop off by using the overhead camera view. Not your everyday use but it worked really well. I am about a third of the way thru my trip and have not found anything to complain about. Oh yeah we are stuck with the controls screen with the camera views. It's just part of the camera system that the third party company that makes the system for FCA hard coded into the system. So naviks said. Same company makes the GM and Ford systems too. I'll post some more after my talk with Naviks and when I get Internet again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have traveled several hundred miles since meeting with Naviks. The navigation portion of the product is activated by a 4 second hold in of the left center steering wheel. This freezes the Nav unit and opens the keyboard for input. On the 2020 2 Aux camera truck of mine this action triggered an unwanted source change in the audio system. This was addressed and no longer does this. The cameras in motion seemed to work well from the get go however the side cameras with the blinker function didn't work. This now appears to function correctly. This is turned on and off by using the mute switch on the radio face. Pushing the mute button, wait 3 seconds and pushing again activates this fuction. When in the camera in motion function turning on the blinker will set the screen to the side view and then move out to the farthest outer view the same way you can do it now if stopped. It takes a moment for this to happen as you can see on the Naviks video. One very interesting aspect of this blinker camera view thing is that it seems to work no matter what you have up on the screen. If you have a split screen with nav and serius info for example the blinker function will take over while the blinker is active. This takes a little longer since the software must add the step of turning on cameras in motion first. This is a very nice feature merging onto the freeway especially for you guys pulling trailers. Shutting this function off involves the same mute the audio for 3 seconds thing. Holding in the right center audio button on the back of the steering wheel starts up the cameras in motion function. It is shut down the same way or by hitting the X in the upper right of the display. This function will come back on with the camera view you had on last . Since I have a bed mounted camper on my truck I have no aux camera hooked up at this time. I put a replacement tailgate camera on the back of the camper so my surround view looks like an empty stock truck. The camera views are what we all have now so there isn't much to say other than THEY STAY ON. I am still figuring out how to best use the various views. With the wide angle rear camera you can see cars coming well up into your blind spot. If you are in the right lane just leaving the left side camera on is another interesting way to set it up. Hard to think about should you look at the mirror or screen though. I'm sure you guys would find other ways to use it. So far some of the more unique uses for me so far are traveling down very narrow dirt roads with the mirrors folded to avoid branches etc and to keep an eye behind me for jeeps atvs etc. Using the front camera to see when I can't see over the hood on steep uphill grades. This is great just wish it had steering lines though. I also came to a section of road that had slumped off into a river taking more than half the road on the passenger side of the truck with it. I was able to move the drivers side of the truck up the embankment and see how close the passenger side tires were to the drop off by using the overhead camera view. Not your everyday use but it worked really well. I am about a third of the way thru my trip and have not found anything to complain about. Oh yeah we are stuck with the controls screen with the camera views. It's just part of the camera system that the third party company that makes the system for FCA hard coded into the system. So naviks said. Same company makes the GM and Ford systems too. I'll post some more after my talk with Naviks and when I get Internet again.

RE: Front tire tracking.

There's a thread HERE for enabling the front camera selection in the radio using AlfaOBD which also enabled the gridlines that the PW has but I couldn't get it to work on my truck. @jsalbre was able to get it to work on his truck.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Thats amazing feedback, sounds like it works awesome. Probably my own stupidity here, but do you have to hold the buttons every time you restart the vehicle or does it remember so you don't have to
1: hold lt button for 4 sec. For nav. At every start up
2: push mute button 3 sec. Wait push again at every start for blinker cam enabling
3:hold rt button for surround view at every start up
I do understand that you don't have to do these procedures at every maneuver , but do you have to do it at every start up of the vehicle or will the naviks remember how you last had it set., wich would be awesome.
No biggie on the controle screen, i figured that, but the front driving lines would be a plus. Sorry if I'm just confused and An asking a stupid question. thanks again RB. I look forward to your response, no urgency, stay safe

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
Naviks website doesn't give much information but does this unit allow for the addition of an analog camera?
I don't have the 12 pin trailer wiring on my 3500 but want to add a backup camera to the back of my trailer and a simple analog input would be the easiest solution.
I had a LocPic on my 2017 RAM and it allowed me to add 2 analog cameras to the system.

Phil T

Reaction score
The naviks unit does not add any camera inputs. You have to already have the aux camera system. All it does is enable always on cameras.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RBarrett

Reaction score
More on inputs after I talk to Naviks again. Will check on how complete shut down affects settings on my next travel leg Stay tuned

RBarrett

Reaction score
I'll send along a brief update with more to follow soon. It appears there are some conditions and/or settings in my truck that can interfere with the Naviks functions. The mute control of the turn signal side camera view can be interrupted. This is the only function I have observed a problem with. Naviks is aware of the issue through several updates with them throughout my trip. They are already working on a fix for this and will be back to me next week. On the issue of inputs. Naviks has indicated that I can let you all know that the final version we are working towards will have an additional input capability in the harness for an alternative to the mopar bumper or bed connectors that can be used for the camera of your choice should you want. They simulated this with a pigtail version of this to my truck and showed me the results with a camera they had with them. It looked much better than my own camper camera through my old monitor. I was impressed. I will test this later with my own camera eventhough it is ancient tech. More to follow later.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I found an rvs brand oem cable that supposed to match ours, that would be perfect if it matched up with the naviks additional input. Question is, how would that work on the u connect for bringing up another camera
I'll send along a brief update with more to follow soon. It appears there are some conditions and/or settings in my truck that can interfere with the Naviks functions. The mute control of the turn signal side camera view can be interrupted. This is the only function I have observed a problem with. Naviks is aware of the issue through several updates with them throughout my trip. They are already working on a fix for this and will be back to me next week. On the issue of inputs. Naviks has indicated that I can let you all know that the final version we are working towards will have an additional input capability in the harness for an alternative to the mopar bumper or bed connectors that can be used for the camera of your choice should you want. They simulated this with a pigtail version of this to my truck and showed me the results with a camera they had with them. It looked much better than my own camper camera through my old monitor. I was impressed. I will test this later with my own camera eventhough it is ancient tech. More to follow later.
Keep us posted on that , that would be the easiest way to hook up our aux trailer camera, then ee would not need a high priced Nichols 12 pin plug in. Just run that oem that i posted to back of truck, then your rg6 to camera, zip zap.
Screenshot_20201001-101838.png

Users who are viewing this thread