Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always on Camera Solution - NAViKS

MikeXM

Reaction score
If I could just get a hold of a 3d printer and upload that picture I'd save myself 300+$
That makes no sense whatsoever.

if someone pushed naviks for a bigger discount if we had more people, say 15 for 110 off, then id sign on to that, but I get it if no one wants to rock the boat for a better deal, that's just what I do. You would think naviks would consider a 15 person deal for $4000, but somebody would have to sell them on it. Maybe only 10 sales is all they want. :cool:
I'm with Brutal on this. They already conceded 20% off which I feel is enough. At some point, you gotta let them make some money or they will go out of business.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
That makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm with Brutal on this. They already conceded 20% off which I feel is enough. At some point, you gotta let them make some money or they will go out of business.
Seams like you can 3d print anything these days with the right technology, if you watch the movies. :p Always looking for a better deal to get costs down. I'm sure they won't sell them at a loss. ;) if they do, I'll take 10 myself.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have a 3d printer and it will print a lot of neat things but I have yet to figure out how to print common sense with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
:D I watch to many movies

RBarrett

Reaction score
O K so here is how the installation of the Naviks unit went. First was the removal of the screen and dash trim surrounding it. Like others who have done this stated remove the two screws up top and yank on the top to start it out. I released it from all the clips and let the bottom rest on a towel draped over the console. There are a number of cables attached to the screen - most of them down low by the switch panels. I have the upfitter switch option on my truck so may have an extra cable. I was able to do this whole operation by only releasing the upper most cable that is for the 12v outlet in the upper tray where the two screws were. This is the cable loose by the radio chasis in the picture.

Attachments

• 20200912_113639.jpg
    20200912_113639.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 1,198

RBarrett

Reaction score
Step two was to remove the 4 screws that hold the radio chasis to the dash. 7mm nut driver. BTW the 12v outlet cable only takes a real small flat blade screw driver to release it. Once the screws are out of the chasis it can be pulled outward towards the back of the still connected screen and trim panel. There are lots more cables attached to the back of that radio module. The one that needs to be intercepted with the Naviks module is at the very bottom. This is a large many many pin connector that uses a latching device to pull it in and lock every thing down.

Attachments

• 20200912_114227.jpg
    20200912_114227.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 1,172

RBarrett

Reaction score
I found that there was enough room and sufficient cable length to make working with the faceplate and screen still connected reasonably easy. The nature of the big connectors latching device makes for very easy removal by using a small 90 degree pic tool. I was able to slip it in between the other connectors and release it without messing with anything else. You just push up behind it and it will release the lock and a continued push then movers the lever and releases the whole thing. Then you can get the connector out and away from everything the insert the Naviks cable.

Attachments

• 20200912_114914.jpg
    20200912_114914.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 20200912_115145.jpg
    20200912_115145.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 1,154

RBarrett

Reaction score
Then you insert the Naviks cable into the back of the radio chasis and close it's latch. Put the original harness connector into the other end of Naviks cable and close that latch. Since it looked like things were going to be tight back there I moved the small box that holds the actual Naviks chip/software etc. away on it long pig tail. With everything all connected it looks like this.

Attachments

• 20200912_115445.jpg
    20200912_115445.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 1,142

RBarrett

Reaction score
Then it is a matter of getting all the original wires plus the new Naviks harness stuffed in behind the radio chasis such that the 4 scews can be reinstalled. This only took two tries since there is more room than there looks. The small box with Naviks label has a separate connector on it. I am hoping that the reprogramming that they have discussed with me can be performed though simply hooking that box to their laptop. For that reason I mounted it outside of everything so it can be accessed easily. I attached the screen and faceplate with only a couple of the clips since it will need to come on and off while working with Naviks later this month. I did all this with the batteries disconnected. As it turns out it was one of the simplest auto dashboard projects I have ever done. So this is what it looked like just before closing it up. Now on to the testing.

Attachments

• 20200912_121152.jpg
    20200912_121152.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 1,122

MikeXM

Reaction score
Seams like you can 3d print anything these days with the right technology, if you watch the movies. :p Always looking for a better deal to get costs down. I'm sure they won't sell them at a loss. ;) if they do, I'll take 10 myself.
We are not quite there yet. And actually might never be there...

I have a 3D printer. It is cool to print plastic parts. Some more specialized printers will do other material. But rarely will they do multi-material like this device is made of. We are far from printing complex electronic components.

And even if would consider this a possibility, it wouldn't still print in the software required in those units. Without software, you just printed a sophisticated brick.

Basically... Having a copy of this device printed in your home, from a picture taken on the web is not going to happen in your lifetime.

Don't believe everything you see coming out of Hollywood.

Last edited:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Then it is a matter of getting all the original wires plus the new Naviks harness stuffed in behind the radio chasis such that the 4 scews can be reinstalled. This only took two tries since there is more room than there looks. The small box with Naviks label has a separate connector on it. I am hoping that the reprogramming that they have discussed with me can be performed though simply hooking that box to their laptop. For that reason I mounted it outside of everything so it can be accessed easily. I attached the screen and faceplate with only a couple of the clips since it will need to come on and off while working with Naviks later this month. I did all this with the batteries disconnected. As it turns out it was one of the simplest auto dashboard projects I have ever done. So this is what it looked like just before closing it up. Now on to the testing.
Awesome descriptions RBarrett. Tyvm for all that detail. I'll be saving all your instruction and looking forward to how she functions. Fingers crossed

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
We are not quite there yet. And actually might never be there...

I have a 3D printer. It is cool to print plastic parts. Some more specialized printers will do other material. But rarely will they do multi-material like this device is made of. We are far from printing complex electronic components.

And even if would consider this a possibility, it wouldn't still print in the software required in those units. Without software, you just printed a sophisticated brick.

Basically... Having a copy of this device printed in your home, from a picture taken on the web is not going to happen in your lifetime.

Don't believe everything you see coming out of Hollywood.
Technology and tricks all around us. What is fact and what is fiction. :rolleyes:

RBarrett

Reaction score
I just caught up on some of the earlier posts in this thread regarding the group buy stuff. I'm far more confident that we can work out some reasonable process to buy these things than I am we will actually get 10 people who will commit to it. But first things first. We need to know how well it works. What vehicles it works on (like my 2020 with 2 aux inputs ????) and how it might be improved. After we have as much of these answers as we can get and whatever changes can be made THEN we worry about the group buy. I'm sure Naviks wants this product pretty squared away before they send 10 of these things out there. This only works for them if people are happy with it and want to keep them. When we get further down the road if we have sufficient number of people I am willing to do whatever I can to actually impliment the mechanics of identifying who we are to Naviks and how we proceed.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I just caught up on some of the earlier posts in this thread regarding the group buy stuff. I'm far more confident that we can work out some reasonable process to buy these things than I am we will actually get 10 people who will commit to it. But first things first. We need to know how well it works. What vehicles it works on (like my 2020 with 2 aux inputs ????) and how it might be improved. After we have as much of these answers as we can get and whatever changes can be made THEN we worry about the group buy. I'm sure Naviks wants this product pretty squared away before they send 10 of these things out there. This only works for them if people are happy with it and want to keep them. When we get further down the road if we have sufficient number of people I am willing to do whatever I can to actually impliment the mechanics of identifying who we are to Naviks and how we proceed.
Well said RB.

Skubydo

Reaction score
Folks, read this posting and don't know what this NAVIKs interface actually does. In have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 12" display, but with the towing mirror option, so I ONLY have a backup camera. I'd like to add at least the front camera - will this NAVIKs interface allow me to do that? Thanks

Phil T

Reaction score
No. The naviks only hacks into the canbus and tricks it into thinking that the speed is zero so the cameras stay on. It's called a man in the middle hack.

You can probably visit your parts department and order the items to add the camera. It would have been cheaper to buy the truck with all of the cameras.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

zhauler

Reaction score
so is the group buy still a thing? I'm in for one with the 12" display....

RBarrett

Reaction score
I hope the group buy will be a thing. There are several interested parties that have raised their hand along the way. Perhaps someone on this forum would volunteer to keep track of those folks who said they are interested. UPDATE the Naviks unit does work in my 2020 3500. I will try to relay more info soon however right now only have time to work on what Naviks is asking for and prep for my trip. Be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread