Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Engine Air Filter Confusion

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Update:

Called Fleetguard and spoke to technical support:
1. They have no record of that filter being changed
2. They do not show an updated part number
3. If they made any significant changes to the filter, they almost always update the part number to reflect the changes.

Called Geno’s and spoke with them:
1. They think it could be a case where Fleetguard subbed that filter out to another plant / manufacturer temporarily in order to get “caught up” on the significant backorder
2. They can not get any info from Fleetguard as to why the changes.
3. Mopar will not give them any info as to why the glue strips cause havoc with some trucks, but they have indeed inquired several times.

Isn’t this fun?…..makes me want to sell the truck and go back to my 1993 12 valve….ignorance was bliss!

I have ONE AB filter on hand, so I ordered a couple fleetgaurds hoping I could find some orange ones. I lucked out, and have two of the “newer” black ones. Can anyone confirm that the Mexican made black ones with the low profile glue strips work or don’t work? Wondering if I should send these back… if not I’d be happy to keep at least one, toss it in my truck and see what she does. I paid $40 including shipping for them and can send them back for free… though surely if I test one for us I’ll have to keep that one.

I have a CTS3 to monitor. I seem to have shorter intervals between regens as it is, logging about one per week or every 300 miles or so lately. So I’ll know for sure if it changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I have ONE AB filter on hand, so I ordered a couple fleetgaurds hoping I could find some orange ones. I lucked out, and have two of the “newer” black ones. Can anyone confirm that the Mexican made black ones with the low profile glue strips work or don’t work? Wondering if I should send these back… if not I’d be happy to keep at least one, toss it in my truck and see what she does. I paid $40 including shipping for them and can send them back for free… though surely if I test one for us I’ll have to keep that one.

I have a CTS3 to monitor. I seem to have shorter intervals between regens as it is, logging about one per week or every 300 miles or so lately. So I’ll know for sure if it changes.

I’ve had one person reach out to me recently to let me know they are using the MX-sourced AF27684 and have not had any issues with it.

That being said however, I’m starting to wonder more and more if this air filter sensitivity issue is more directly related to the MAF relearn process mentioned in the recent P2459 diagnostic memo sent down from STAR

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I’ve had one person reach out to me recently to let me know they are using the MX-sourced AF27684 and have not had any issues with it.

That being said however, I’m starting to wonder more and more if this air filter sensitivity issue is more directly related to the MAF relearn process mentioned in the recent P2459 diagnostic memo sent down from STAR

Following that thread too, but looks like it’s hard to know which sensor is which. I’ll toss in one of the new filters after my next regen. It’s about 3000 miles too soon, but I’ll keep the current filter in the truck in case the black fleetgaurd jacks it.

OLEJOE

Reaction score

See post #418.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
See post #418.

I saw that. It speaks to who actually makes the filter, and possible quality changes. But doesn’t say if the filter works without changing regen times or throwing codes, which is my question. These filters look good as far as quality. There’s nothing about them that look slighted in any way. I can post pics if that helps…

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I saw that. It speaks to who actually makes the filter, and possible quality changes. But doesn’t say if the filter works without changing regen times or throwing codes, which is my question. These filters look good as far as quality. There’s nothing about them that look slighted in any way. I can post pics if that helps…

I’ve seen pics of them earlier. I hope they work. They appear to be what we are going to be able to obtain from now on. I don’t know how long the AB filter will be available. Would be bad if we had to go to a CAI to get a decent filter that would work.

Riddick

Reaction score

I am also wondering about the MAF relearn process and if this will potentially solve the issue. I personally think its ridiculous that we possibly have to do a lengthy MAF relearn process when we change an air filter.

@Ionicbrick the filter you have and are referencing is identical to the newer Wix designs. There have been a few of us who used these and instantly starting having frequent regens. I swapped back to the AB filter and mine cleared up. However, I did not attempt to do the MAF relearn procedure on my Wix.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I’ve seen pics of them earlier. I hope they work. They appear to be what we are going to be able to obtain from now on. I don’t know how long the AB filter will be available. Would be bad if we had to go to a CAI to get a decent filter that would work.

I’m about 65 percent to the next regen. Once she does I’ll toss one in and let everyone know how it does. If it’s trash right off the bat you’ll hear it from me quick!

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I am also wondering about the MAF relearn process and if this will potentially solve the issue. I personally think its ridiculous that we possibly have to do a lengthy MAF relearn process when we change an air filter.

@Ionicbrick the filter you have and are referencing is identical to the newer Wix designs. There have been a few of us who used these and instantly starting having frequent regens. I swapped back to the AB filter and mine cleared up. However, I did not attempt to do the MAF relearn procedure on my Wix.

I thought I saw that relearn procedure on here, but can’t find it. Does anyone have a link? Something about driving highway speed for a certain time, shutting down for 10 minutes, rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times. Certainly willing to do it to test it out. As I said, if it fails I’ll send the other one back and seek out AB filters only. What a pain.

Riddick

Reaction score
I thought I saw that relearn procedure on here, but can’t find it. Does anyone have a link? Something about driving highway speed for a certain time, shutting down for 10 minutes, rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times. Certainly willing to do it to test it out. As I said, if it fails I’ll send the other one back and seek out AB filters only. What a pain.

1702997906350.png

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Hats off to you.
You’re a braver man than I.

I’m so glad mine is finally operating correctly I don’t even want to change the brand of windshield washer fluid I’m using!

I’m actually having second thoughts. I just ordered a Mopar AB from Genos. If it comes and it’s correct I may send these other two back.

unclelala

Reaction score
Just bought this today for $44.95 CA . It sure looks like the real thing, right color, right number, no glue strips. Edit: Purchase at the Chrysler dealer in Brampton Ontario

Attachments

• IMG_5821.jpeg
    IMG_5821.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5822.jpeg
    IMG_5822.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5823.jpeg
    IMG_5823.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread