Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

renagade69

Reaction score
I don’t think the goals will ever be met until they kill the diesel vehicles completely. I think they are just trying to get the 13-18’s up to the new standards for emissions since it changes every few minutes here lately. And it’s only going to get worse. Can’t discuss all of the BS going on without bringing up politics.
This whole topic is political so I agree. I don't think anyone knows how this will effect us with the "fix" but it will cost us more. The fine alone ensures prices going up more on engines.

w8kfm

Reaction score
Ya I think this debacle can be explained in three little letters …TAX… In Canada we pay carbon tax on top of carbon tax. The governments are squeezing the juice out of the consumer and are scheming new ways to screw corporations. Which in turn comes back on the consumer. Until the pitch forks come out the Monster will run the village. :mad:
Well worded sir!

CdnHO

Reaction score
As long as the "fix" doesn't negatively effect the performance of my truck I don't have a problem. However, I have a bad feeling. And I paid dearly for that performance. We will see. So far I don't think that Candian trucks are affected but it is just a matter of time. Monkey see, monkey do.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I doubt the recall notice will mention the violation, but stranger things have happened.
It does, i have seen shots of the actual notice but here is a copy off google missing the vin. It wont reference the lawsuit but still IMG_9707.jpeg

Adam06

Reaction score
Any news on the 2020-2023’s ? Truck is in the shop for snap ring recall and missing dpf sensor. Truck already drinks def fluid , I get 450ish miles on a gallon. Wonder if these newer trucks already have been updated. It’s a 2022 ho

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Any news on the 2020-2023’s ? Truck is in the shop for snap ring recall and missing dpf sensor. Truck already drinks def fluid , I get 450ish miles on a gallon. Wonder if these newer trucks already have been updated. It’s a 2022 ho
2020+ are fine. The 19s got the VB6 the ONLY trucks that will be affected are 2013-2018

gimmie11s

Reaction score
It would appear that Cummins simply views CARB and the EPA as hands they must grease in order to continue doing business.

The other thing that is crazy to me, is the fact that both the EPA and CARB have continued to drag out all these charts and numbers about how their policies have reduced emissions by extreme levels, yet all these companies are allegedly cheating? If every diesel model is cheating, and the emissions have still exceeded goals, then why do we care at this point? It's gotta be just about power and control at this point, because the laws put in place to meet a goal seem to have been met.

Common sense left policy influence decades ago.

But I agree completely.

CFE

Reaction score
It wouldn’t surprise me if the fix looks a lot like the VW and Mercedes fixes: software changes leading to a reduction in power.
VW also offered a buyback. i had a Golf TDI that I paid 29k new for and after all was said and done - they bought my TDi back for around 26k after I had it for 3 years. Great little car but it would have been stupid of me not to take the money and run or accept the "fix".

wyvern

Reaction score
Does anyone have any concrete information as to whether this affects 2013-2023 model trucks? TFL made it seem like it was pretty much every Cummins-powered pickup sold from 2013 to present, however I'm seeing conflicting information. I still haven't actually purchased a 3500 and still really want to, but this entire debacle is once again giving me pause. Thinking of sticking it out with my 3.0 lz0 1500 a bit longer.

source:

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Does anyone have any concrete information as to whether this affects 2013-2023 model trucks? TFL made it seem like it was pretty much every Cummins-powered pickup sold from 2013 to present, however I'm seeing conflicting information. I still haven't actually purchased a 3500 and still really want to, but this entire debacle is once again giving me pause. Thinking of sticking it out with my 3.0 lz0 1500 a bit longer.

source:

I SERIOUSLY doubt any new 2024 on the lot will be affected by this.

Cummins has known about the issue for at least 4 years from what we can tell.

Adam06

Reaction score
Is this the same recall people were getting for the missing pm sensor? I don’t ever recall seeing that the pcm had to be reprogrammed and a modification sticker installed and a letter to save for carb compliant states . I remember receiving a letter for the recall in September but this one on the ram app appears different. I just don’t remember.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the same recall people were getting for the missing pm sensor? I don’t ever recall seeing that the pcm had to be reprogrammed and a modification sticker installed and a letter to save for carb compliant states . I remember receiving a letter for the recall in September but this one on the ram app appears different. I just don’t remember.

No, that recall is not related. Some late build 21’s and most, if not all, 22’s are missing a sensor that was first used in 2019. The 13-18’s didn’t have it, and I have seen nothing about adding it.

I had the recall done in September and the PCM was reprogrammed (has to be in order to utilize the sensor) and a mod sticker was placed on my hood.

7K miles on the new sensor, zero changes to how the truck operates.

Users who are viewing this thread