Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the Wifey wants the Wifey gets....but i need help

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Everything we all refer to as "extended warranty" is really a service contract.
In my own language it's closer to an insurance policy than a warranty, regardless of who the company is.
Some of the providers will pay for OEM parts unless not available, others literally have language that says they will find the cheapest alternative lol.
Some have to have the work done at a CDJR dealership, others can be at any certified technician.
Devils in the details, That could be a WHOLE separate thread on it's own, though :)

It already is...

UglyViking

Reaction score
I’d think a 12.5” tire on a 6” wide wheel would end up with a lot of side to side play in corners. Not that these trucks are ever going to be corner carvers, but I feel like it would make steering feel slow to catch up to inputs and add to instability when towing heavy.
I can't speak to anything beyond my own personal experience, but the OEM tire size for my 2014 HO DRW is 235/80R17 which is a ~32x9". A super common tire size for these things is a 255/80R17, which is a 33x10". I put on a 35x12.5x17 and in the past 2-3k miles I've not noticed any difference in how it handles, even towing 20k. The width is obviously much greater, but the height is also a lot taller, so the overall "taper" (or angle of the tread to the lip) is only slightly more extreme.

I believe the OEM Nexen tires are rated for something like just under 3100lbs per tire, and my Toyo AT3s are rated at just under 3200lbs per tire (both ratings are for SRW, DRW is likely slightly lower for both). My Toyos are rated as E range tire (which I wanted since I was going up to a 35), so that may have played a large part in it.

Again, I can't speak to the science behind it, and I'm sure that if you put them both on a machine and measured, you'd see that my tires flex more than the OEM tire size. That said, I've not noticed any change in how it handles the weight.

new2rams

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just a little update to anybody who might have any interest.
Well, I didn't think about how she's going to climb into the lifted truck without factory steps. At this point, I'm just trying to get this project done and move on with my life and keep what I can in my wallet.
I told the fab company who's installing the lift, to install some AMP steps and then thought, I wonder what that costs? After asking, I basically said she can crawl into the truck as I'm not paying another 2500 bucks.
I told him cancel those steps and got on the ole google machine.
I found Rough Country has auto steps like AMP for approx 700 less installed. I have no clue if they have lights or not, no clue if they have one motor or two motors, i just told him to go with those as they cost less.
As long as they deploy when the door opens and go back up when the door shuts, that's about all I care about.
Not sure if anybody has used this brand or not, but i'll give feedback once they are on.

On another note, we decided to get new wheels for the truck. We looked and looked and looked and lucky me, she fell in love with JTX forged wheels. I got a quote on those, needless to say, we are keeping the stock wheels. Who in the world pays 10 grand for wheels. Maybe I'm showing my age or just finally hitting my spoil her limit, but for the love of god, when did everything start to cost that much.

I think the title of this thread should be: "Holy crap everything costs so much, i'm done!"

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
lol, yeah it all adds up fast.

There are certainly cheaper options that will give a similar look and ride.

Enve46

Reaction score
JTXs are also probably some of the most expensive forged wheels you can get. If she has her heart set on those, get on the FB marketplace and find a used set. Can usually save quite a bit on a used set and possibly find a set with some scratches already cause its bound to happen and wont hurt as much!

new2rams

Reaction score
lol, yeah it all adds up fast.

There are certainly cheaper options that will give a similar look and ride.

The original RAM she drove (lifted already at the dealer) had FUEL wheels. Those cost a lot less. But then after hours of looking, the COMBAT FROM JTX FORGED won the vote. However, just no way. I have a limit, and that's well beyond what i'm willing to do.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Just wait till she starts wanting to go faster, and then you're adding compounds, larger injectors, beefing up the trans.

It's a good thing my 401k and other investments are automated because otherwise I'd be in serious trouble…

Where are the pics of this truck? Gotta be coming soon right?

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Maybe I'm showing my age or just finally hitting my spoil her limit, but for the love of god, when did everything start to cost that much.
The sky definitely seems to be the limit on truck mod costs anymore. And of course, the past couple years everything has gone up even more than normal. Ya know, you can lease (probably even rent) tires and wheels now. Yes, it's getting that insane. Remember when we thought a $200 set of Cragars was a big deal on our muscle cars? LOL

Are you looking to get new wheels with the offset you need to avoid the spacers? Or just looking for something dressy?

new2rams

Reaction score
Just wait till she starts wanting to go faster, and then you're adding compounds, larger injectors, beefing up the trans.

It's a good thing my 401k and other investments are automated because otherwise I'd be in serious trouble…

Where are the pics of this truck? Gotta be coming soon right?
I'll definately share 100%. The whole Carli lift arrived to the fab shop already, but he's waiting on the spacers and steps to arrive. Then he'll do it all together. I was hoping he'd get to it this week, just waiting on him to give me the go. It still sits in stock fashion which isn't all that special. Due to having four kids and needing a 6 passenger (believe it or not that's a hard truck to find in a higher end trim), we got the weathertech full front mat (that covers the hump in the middle also). What a great fit. Those mats really impressed me.
I so hope she never ever wants anything else on this truck. She said Tint the windows and we can be done for a bit at least.

new2rams

Reaction score
The sky definitely seems to be the limit on truck mod costs anymore. And of course, the past couple years everything has gone up even more than normal. Ya know, you can lease (probably even rent) tires and wheels now. Yes, it's getting that insane. Remember when we thought a $200 set of Cragars was a big deal on our muscle cars? LOL

Are you looking to get new wheels with the offset you need to avoid the spacers? Or just looking for something dressy?
We were looking into wheels that had all the correct spacing / offset. However, after pricing them out, we went back to sticking with the stock "night" wheels. If a year passes and it's just eating her alive, we can revisit (maybe a next years surprise xmas gift). But for now, I'm actually throwing in the towel at everything else.
about 5 grand for the carli lift
about 2 grand for steps
about 3 grand for tires
then there's the little things like the floor mat, drop hitch, etc....it all just starts to add up. So stock wheels it is

Enve46

Reaction score
At least she has good taste in modifications. Can't knock her for that

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
The original RAM she drove (lifted already at the dealer) had FUEL wheels. Those cost a lot less. But then after hours of looking, the COMBAT FROM JTX FORGED won the vote. However, just no way. I have a limit, and that's well beyond what i'm willing to do.
The JTX are very nice no doubt but i agree priced insane. I found a smaller manufacture that makes a wheel that looks nearly identical to the JTX Combat. the company is CustomForged they are forged aluminum custom machined to fit direct bolt on without adapters but still have the 10 lug appearance. very nice wheels at a fraction of the price. I picked up my set for $3950 shipped for the set of 6 (Including matching inners) also included lug nuts, center caps, valve stems, and lug nut caps. they come in 22x8.25 or larger. I am running 35x12.5x22 tires. i will say stepping up to 22 tires drastically increases the price of tires fwiw. 20230830_135117.jpg20230830_135157.jpg20230830_135148.jpg20230830_135142.jpg20230830_135124.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread