Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

def fluid

2001WS6

Reaction score
I guess that’s one way to get your post count up in a hurry :D

ufr9hq3.gif

Wholeo

Reaction score
Had a couple of kids at work put what they thought was DEF in the tank of a work truck, turned out to be blue windshield washer fluid. The truck didn't make it very far before it was at the shop for repairs.

Cobalt99

Reaction score
Northern Tool should have a high turn over for DEF, no mater the brand, more likely the date was not that old. You’re not the first of that phenomenon, as far as the dealer goes. They are looking for profit where they can find it. I had my 3500 serviced by the dealer over the 30K miles I owned it, the costs are minimal to me for them to change oil on a CTD. So I took my new to me 1500 to the same dealer and they used DuraMax oil and a Carquest oil filter, needless to say I now change my own oil on the Hemi. My point is they are tightening their belts. Demand a sample to see if you don’t have an enemy in your your neighborhood. Buy a locking cap and document your service. I did that because of the dreaded CP4.2 HPFP, in case it failed.
Good luck with your truck.

On edit, I recorded all fuel purchase miles and Def fill ups.
thank you for advice

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Need to pull a sample of the DEF in question and inspect it with a refractometer. See what the result looks like. Could be a drop in the urea content or contamination from another foreign substance. What code(s) are showing up?
In any case, this is hardly $8,000 worth of repair. Most likely need to drop the sending unit, flush it and the tank, and fill with fresh fluid. Unless the contamination is from a foreign substance that is oily, it should be a pretty straightforward repair.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I still can’t tell from the OP posts but it sounds like he is saying that the DEF that is in his truck is blue in color…not blue the mfg. if that is the case then I think the problem is simple and solved, if it is not blue in color then I agree with ^^^^

Cobalt99

Reaction score
Need to pull a sample of the DEF in question and inspect it with a refractometer. See what the result looks like. Could be a drop in the urea content or contamination from another foreign substance. What code(s) are showing up?
In any case, this is hardly $8,000 worth of repair. Most likely need to drop the sending unit, flush it and the tank, and fill with fresh fluid. Unless the contamination is from a foreign substance that is oily, it should be a pretty straightforward repair.
Thanks good advice thanks

Cobalt99

Reaction score
Had a couple of kids at work put what they thought was DEF in the tank of a work truck, turned out to be blue windshield washer fluid. The truck didn't make it very far before it was at the shop for repairs.
I did not put wiper fluid in the tank thanks

MIKE4378

Reaction score
I've had a few times where someone filled def tank with diesel or water or whatever. Codes came up for bad quality def cant remember. Just washed the tank out and filled it with new def. Was gtg.
Once I got to 86,000 DEF alarms of all kinds came up, pump failed, tank reading went to zero, and it gave the limp mode alarm, 200mph, then goes to 5 mph. So, did drain the tank, washed it out, but I think motor was already bad. Once complete, motor alarm came back in. But, I agree with all the other post, if you can drain tank.

MIKE4378

Reaction score
I have a 2022 ram 3500 with 11,000 miles. Went to dealer with check engine light on and I was told I had bad def fluid and repair cost would be $8,000 dollars out of pocket. I believe the def fluid went bad because the truck sits a lot and is only used for towing. Dealer is no help. Anybody have any thoughts on this. Thanks
I believe the DEF does have a shorter than reported shelf life. I have a 2018, and go through a lot of DEF, a few weeks ago I opened some that I had for about 3 months and it smelled terrible, but I did not really notice until I was pouring it into the tank. So I am not so sure it is shelf life or quality of the mix, as this jug smelled nothing like DEF, no ammonia smell at all, and it was brown in color. A few days later the level gauge stopped working as well as the DEP pump. Looked at the jug I used and I could not find a date on it nowhere. I checked out several others I had and it looks like Walmart started dating them in November of this year. Very strange.

wrvond

Reaction score
WalMart has been putting dates on their DEF products as long as I can remember.
One thing to be careful of is "returned" DEF. Several years ago there was a spate of people buying DEF, filling their tanks and refilling the DEF jug with tap water to return for a refund.
I always ensure the jugs I purchase have an intact seal. Jugs with no seal or a seal that is not adhered to the rim do not get purchased by me.
Additionally, if you are going to store DEF, you need to ensure it is not exposed to sunlight and/or high temperatures.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I believe the DEF does have a shorter than reported shelf life. I have a 2018, and go through a lot of DEF, a few weeks ago I opened some that I had for about 3 months and it smelled terrible, but I did not really notice until I was pouring it into the tank. So I am not so sure it is shelf life or quality of the mix, as this jug smelled nothing like DEF, no ammonia smell at all, and it was brown in color. A few days later the level gauge stopped working as well as the DEP pump. Looked at the jug I used and I could not find a date on it nowhere. I checked out several others I had and it looks like Walmart started dating them in November of this year. Very strange.
I would have quit dumping that in my tank the second I noticed it was brown and didn't smell normal. It's too cheap to take a chance. Your garden or flowerbeds would be a good place for it.

It'll last almost indefinitely if you keep it in the freezer:)

unclelala

Reaction score
I would have quit dumping that in my tank the second I noticed it was brown and didn't smell normal. It's too cheap to take a chance. Your garden or flowerbeds would be a good place for it.

It'll last almost indefinitely if you keep it in the freezer:)
If I have any to spare I just store it in the fridge but usually I buy as required. I don't have to worry about the fridge for 6 months of the year because its cold or coolish where I am

Cobalt99

Reaction score
yes I agree on the shelf life of def the truck is still at the dealer and I have a case with Stellantis who owns Chrysler they are trying to deny my warranty claim based on their claim that I did not bring the truck to a dealer for a def inspection at 7500 miles as per owners manual.

Riddick

Reaction score
yes I agree on the shelf life of def the truck is still at the dealer and I have a case with Stellantis who owns Chrysler they are trying to deny my warranty claim based on their claim that I did not bring the truck to a dealer for a def inspection at 7500 miles as per owners manual.
Stay strong brother! Hate to be negative but I get the feeling they are looking for any reason to deny your warranty. Did they provide you an itemized quote for the repair? I am curious what parts they included in the 8k quote.

You need to escalate this above the dealer level. It wont be easy but in the end it will be worth it, keep fighting.

Units

Reaction score
def inspection at 7500 miles as per owners manual
I don’t recall seeing that in the manual, I’m gonna go grab mine and look. Seems silly but who knows. Did you look to see if there is any language in the manual like that?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

There is no DEF inspection at 7500 miles, and no inspection is required to be performed by the dealer to maintain warranty.

The 7500 mile DEF service is this…

“Check the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) tank, refill if necessary”

Which is really dumb because you can’t go 7,500 miles on a tank of DEF in these trucks, it will have to have been refilled already… but it’s in the manual.

Last edited:

Cobalt99

Reaction score
There is no DEF inspection at 7500 miles, and no inspection is required to be performed by the dealer to maintain warranty.

The 7500 mile DEF service is this…

“Check the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) tank, refill if necessary”

Which is really dumb because you can’t go 7,500 miles on a tank of DEF in these trucks, don’t will have been refilled already… but it’s on the manual.
yes, I have seen the same page in my owner's manual. The dealership agrees there is no DEF inspection. This is Stellantis trying to deny my claim and I do believe they will try to get out of any warranty claim they can.

Users who are viewing this thread