Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

wolfpack

Reaction score
I guess I don’t have the dipstick issue because mine is an HO with the Aisin transmission?

the relay problem, i think, is the issue of crap getting behind it (water, salt, etc) and bridging the uncovered metal contacts which are directly connect to the double battery. They tried tape, then RTV and are now at the point of having to replace it with a fully insulated design. If you haven’t had a relay problem yet it doesn’t mean you won’t. It just depends on when, and where you live and drive must factor in heavily.

flan

Reaction score
I guess I don’t have the dipstick issue because mine is an HO with the Aisin transmission?

the relay problem, i think, is the issue of crap getting behind it (water, salt, etc) and bridging the uncovered metal contacts which are directly connect to the double battery. They tried tape, then RTV and are now at the point of having to replace it with a fully insulated design. If you haven’t had a relay problem yet it doesn’t mean you won’t. It just depends on when, and where you live and drive must factor in heavily.
Yea the aisin got 99 problems but the dipstick ain’t one..

Southernspeed

Reaction score
I took my '21 3500 in for the grid relay yesterday. I had previously disconnected the feed wire( and zip tied it up out of the way) due to the 'fire risk' which, seeing as I live on over 2000 acres of forest, seemed like a prudent idea.
I picked my truck up later that day and checked the relay when I got home. They've put the AB version in there (no idea what's different) BUT, they didn't reconnect the feed wire! You'd think they'd connect and test but it seems not.
They did the tailgate latch alignment recall too. I hope this is the last of the 'we screwed up' recalls, I don't like the dealership mess with my truck, I never come away without concerns!

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
I took my '21 3500 in for the grid relay yesterday. I had previously disconnected the feed wire( and zip tied it up out of the way) due to the 'fire risk' which, seeing as I live on over 2000 acres of forest, seemed like a prudent idea.
I picked my truck up later that day and checked the relay when I got home. They've put the AB version in there (no idea what's different) BUT, they didn't reconnect the feed wire! You'd think they'd connect and test but it seems not.
They did the tailgate latch alignment recall too. I hope this is the last of the 'we screwed up' recalls, I don't like the dealership mess with my truck, I never come away without concerns!
Well hell, at least you got them to do something! I have a '22 and all I hear is "we don't have parts" (for either the dipstick or grid heater)

Serious question: what is the magic code word to get the dealer to do a recall?

MotoFish

Reaction score
I would assume most are all in the same boat…. On a waiting list from local dealer waiting on the replacement parts. Will schedule an appointment once I come up and parts arrive, and that’s in the order of who’s contacted the dealership for repairs.

unclelala

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this in so I put it in both Grid Heaters threads : Had the 3 recalls done today on my 2021 : Grid Heater, Tailgate, and the ZD4 DEF thingy.

MotoFish

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this in so I put it in both Grid Heaters threads : Had the 3 recalls done today on my 2021 : Grid Heater, Tailgate, and the ZD4 DEF thingy.

DEF? Great, I didn’t get that one yet.

Southernspeed

Reaction score
Well hell, at least you got them to do something! I have a '22 and all I hear is "we don't have parts" (for either the dipstick or grid heater)

Serious question: what is the magic code word to get the dealer to do a recall?
I went in with the recall letter over a month ago , yesterday was the earliest appointment. Part came in a week ago ( I got a card in the mail saying my special order parts were available for collection)
It’s a two hour round trip to the dealership but they give me a truck for the day so I drop it off early and collect late afternoon.

unclelala

Reaction score
What is the DEF problem/ recall? I’ve not been notified of that ( ‘21 3500 HO )
Don't know the tech end...something about shutting you down if your DEF freezes ??? But maybe you don't have it, maybe it doesn't apply to yours... you would have to read the ZD4 and see which models it applies to and build dates.

MotoFish

Reaction score
Don't know the tech end...something about shutting you down if your DEF freezes ??? But maybe you don't have it, maybe it doesn't apply to yours... you would have to read the ZD4 and see which models it applies to and build dates.

When you look up your recalls its not listed as a recall but under " Customer Satisfaction"

Only “Customer Satisfaction” I see is a DEF system removal.

Will_T

Reaction score
I get the same from my local location of a big chain Ram dealer for my 2021. "No parts or appointments available, we'll notify you when....". I know many dealers are doing the recalls on 21s, but not our local dealer. It is not important enough to me to try to get it done at a dealer several hours away. I just disconnected the relay and hope for the best on the dipstick and vent tube.

Users who are viewing this thread