Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a 2022 3500 HO with less than 200 miles on it that failed yesterday. Built in December 2022 picked up late January 2023. No forward only reverse. Being dropped off at the dealership today.
I would be happy to include you on the spreadsheet if you would like?

If you could provide the following info / updates I would appreciate it greatly.

Date ordered
Date built
Date purchased / acquired
Miles on odometer at time of failure
Serial number of failed transmission
Serial number of replacement transmission
Did it fail while towing?
Did forward gears work?
Did reverse work?
Date transmission failed
Date truck was returned to service

I can add you today, as I am in front of my laptop. Please let me know at your convenience and thanks for commenting on this thread

jchangras

Reaction score
I would be happy to include you on the spreadsheet if you would like?

If you could provide the following info / updates I would appreciate it greatly.

Date ordered 8/24/22
Date built 12/22
Date purchased / acquired 1/10/21
Miles on odometer at time of failure 145
Serial number of failed transmission
Serial number of replacement transmission
Did it fail while towing? no
Did forward gears work? no
Did reverse work? yes
Date transmission failed 2/19/23
Date truck was returned to service

I can add you today, as I am in front of my laptop. Please let me know at your convenience and thanks for commenting on this thread
See above in Green for responses i have at this time. I will get you the balance when i can.

JFV1134

Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been answered, but this is only affecting the 2022 and 2023 HD trucks? Are 2021 trucks impacted by this issue as well?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been answered, but this is only affecting the 2022 and 2023 HD trucks? Are 2021 trucks impacted by this issue as well?
As far as I am aware, this issue is not affecting 2021 model year trucks. The TSB Ram released (# 21-002-23) on 1/11/23 for this issue (K1 Clutch Snap Ring Failure) specifically lists 2022 and 2023 trucks equipped with either the AS69RC or the AS66RC. Both pickups and cab / chassis trucks are involved.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

It could potentially affect any truck that had an Aisin replacement for another prior unrelated failure... But insofar as a pre 22 factory truck. unlikely at this time.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It could potentially affect any truck that had an Aisin replacement for another prior unrelated failure... But insofar as a pre 22 factory truck. unlikely at this time.
Good point. Didn’t think about that, and there’s one instance of that already on my spreadsheet.

JFV1134

Reaction score

Well, so far so good. I have 24,500 miles on the clock and no issues as of yet. **knocks on wood**

Brannon

Reaction score
Update on my s
Well, so far so good. I have 24,500 miles on the clock and no issues as of yet. **knocks on wood**
ituation
Chances are they already have the TSB and are following its instructions but can’t hurt to check to make sure. They are likely ordering the “TSB parts kit” (I’ll attach a picture below pulled right from the TSB). It seems this is becoming the more preferred method of fixing the issue as we move forward. A word of caution, the parts kit has already been applied to one truck with no success. It is unclear at this point why, but I’m assuming either an installation mistake or something missed during diagnostics. I hope your technician is up to the task. View attachment 51720
so here

Deltron

Reaction score
I just watched a video on the K1 snap ring. Actually it looks easy to replace.

Question for transmission guys. Why is it failing? Is the ring incorrectly machined, heat treated or is it the hub itself that's at fault?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I just watched a video on the K1 snap ring. Actually it looks easy to replace.

Question for transmission guys. Why is it failing? Is the ring incorrectly machined, heat treated or is it the hub itself that's at fault?

It’s a very simple part to replace, it’s just getting to it that’s some work. The transmission has to be completely removed and disassembled. The other issue is that when it fails, it often causes subsequent damage to other components as they are no longer retained in their respective positions.

I’ve been told that the snap rings that have been failing are inferior in their dimension. They’re supposedly not the correct size. They’re extremely close, and would be nearly impossible to detect to the naked eye, but they are indeed undersized ever so slightly. This size issue means they do not adequately fit in the machined groove they’re intended to, and thus fail by coming out of position. Add to that the variation in size of the groove, based on tolerances within manufacturing, and what you have is a recipe for premature failure. The ones that fail the fastest (lowest mileage) would be a combination of undersized snap ring seated in a groove that is on the wide end of tolerance.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s a very simple part to replace, it’s just getting to it that’s some work. The transmission has to be completely removed and disassembled. The other issue is that when it fails, it often causes subsequent damage to other components as they are no longer retained in their respective positions.

I’ve been told that the snap rings that have been failing are inferior in their dimension. They’re supposedly not the correct size. They’re extremely close, and would be nearly impossible to detect to the naked eye, but they are indeed undersized ever so slightly. This size issue means they do not adequately fit in the machined groove they’re intended to, and thus fail by coming out of position. Add to that the variation in size of the groove, based on tolerances within manufacturing, and what you have is a recipe for premature failure. The ones that fail the fastest (lowest mileage) would be a combination of undersized snap ring seated in a groove that is on the wide end of tolerance.

Anderson AR's. LOL

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely.
Out of spec = out of action in pretty much anything mechanical. Small parts that fit too loosely together is usually a recipe for disaster except maybe in the case of a Kalashnikov

"Tolerance Stacking" can certainly cause lots of issues. I've traded "parts" before because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread