Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi or Cummins cheaper option breakdown

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just talked with my dealer and he said that the 6.4 Hemi is standard across all trim levels of the 2500 and 3500. That does not change for 2023.

Right now, you can't order a 2500 or 3500 Limited or Longhorn with a Hemi.

jsalbre

Reaction score
In an inflated truck market which is going down every day. Regardless, I already said everything you're looking for in my previous responses, I dont need a diesel but wanted it. Never was implying one was better than the other, just important factors to ME.
The second half of that wasn’t directed to you, it was just a general statement to those that feel they have to prove something.

I‘m (seriously) happy to hear you got what you wanted regardless of need.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
When I bought my truck I knew more about it than the salesman.... Way more...
No doubt. I have found that to be the case as well. However the GM's in general do know what they are talking about. I have purchased three vehicles in the last 5 years from this dealer and so far the GM has always known what was going regarding what could be ordered. Personally I would never order a 2500 with the Cummins as you lose to much payload. If you need the diesel then a 3500 is the way to go. Currently I would not be able to replace what I have now. They no longer have a level one package for the limited due to the chip shortage. On my 2020 I have everything. Dealer has been trying to get their hands on my truck the last two years. Same with my wife's 2019 Pacifica limited. I would be foolish to give either of them up.

Tater86

Reaction score
All this talk of diesels and resale, just wait another 10 years and V8's flip the switch and are considered a classic :). 2023 may possibly be the last year you can get one on a HD, but who knows.

jebruns

Reaction score
I think you just proved that the resale angle is false with your own statement. If a new Hemi truck is 6-10k cheaper than a Cummins then seeing used ones 6-10k cheaper means you’re effectively getting the exact same price in the end.
If you're getting the full price of the Cummins back in resale, which you generally are, it means the top line in the guys blackboard gets wiped out. Makes the Cummins far more cost effective. You pay more for it up front, but you get all or most of that money back when you sell it. All the while enjoying the extra power and mileage.

And for the person that drives new trucks into the ground and never realizes the resale advantage, he probably got his payback also.

Not putting down the Hemi. I'm sure it's a great motor. And I'm not putting down this type of video. But not including resale in the equation is just wrong.

jebruns

Reaction score
You aren't wrong but future value is highly speculative. Around me, you can't give a 6.0 ford away if it hasn't had extensive "bulletproofing" done. Meanwhile the pre emissions stuff is gold.
That's because the 6.0 is a POS. I owned one, a brand new first year (2003) truck. Lemon Lawed it. And it was pre-emission stuff. The Cummins does not have that problem in the least. So not a really good comparison.
I would say that it is safe to assume that your late model, low mileage diesel will retain it's value in the near future. With all the EPA garbage on these new trucks, it is a crap shoot to know what they will be worth in 10 years. People are getting wise to the fact that these trucks could become big money pits and surely that will affect the used prices on them.
The emission equipped Ram Cummins have already been around more than 10 years. Hasn't impacted resale at all as far as I can tell.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's because the 6.0 is a POS. I owned one, a brand new first year (2003) truck. Lemon Lawed it. And it was pre-emission stuff. The Cummins does not have that problem in the least. So not a really good comparison.

The emission equipped Ram Cummins have already been around more than 10 years. Hasn't impacted resale at all as far as I can tell.
Well idk where you are looking but the 6.7 sells for less than 5.9s here. Before i bought my 19 i looked at a 2014 fully loaded immaculate outdoorsman with 130k km for 36k at a dodge dealer it was a nice truck but i see lesser 5.9 trucks with way more millage go for 35k+ Its surprising to see such differences

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I cringe to think about what these newer diesels are going to cost to repair once out of warranty considering the issues showing up IN warranty.

Ever wonder why most hot shot carriers run cummins (with emissions) trucks? They routinely go for 300, 500, even 600k miles (in a short span -- 5 years or less) without major issues.

All this talk of diesels and resale, just wait another 10 years and V8's flip the switch and are considered a classic :). 2023 may possibly be the last year you can get one on a HD, but who knows.

I'd take a gas twin turbo l6 over the Hemi any day of the week and 2x on Sunday.

Enve46

Reaction score
Well idk where you are looking but the 6.7 sells for less than 5.9s here. Before i bought my 19 i looked at a 2014 fully loaded immaculate outdoorsman with 130k km for 36k at a dodge dealer it was a nice truck but i see lesser 5.9 trucks with way more millage go for 35k+ Its surprising to see such differences
I almost bought a 2006 5.9 Mega Cab with 74k miles on it, $33k. Was not in the wrapper new but very clean. There was also a 2008 mega 6.7 with 64k miles but it was in the 45k range. Crazy what they're bringing.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Ever wonder why most hot shot carriers run cummins (with emissions) trucks? They routinely go for 300, 500, even 600k miles (in a short span -- 5 years or less) without major issues.

I'd take a gas twin turbo l6 over the Hemi any day of the week and 2x on Sunday.
You just reiterated the point of this thread. IF you can get that many miles out of a diesel without major issues, then it pays for itself. I haven't seen that to be true with the people I know running diesels but I'm sure there are people out there having good luck with them. I know more than a few that switched to gassers after being socked with an out of warranty repair.

I too am anxiously awaiting this I6 turbo that is supposed to be coming. Seems like it could be a great answer for us that tow recreationally.

jetrinka

Reaction score
That twin turbo six visually looks like a complete nightmare to work on to me - like they took 1 too many lessons from Audi or BMW. We'll see what it looks like when it comes out in person.

aaronedmonton

Reaction score

They actually put their trucks to work.

techman

Reaction score
like they took 1 too many lessons from Audi or BMW.
And that is bad thing? BMW's inline 6 is one of the most awarded motor designs in recent history. Heck, even Toyota uses it in their Supra.

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
Definitely.

Is it your argument that the trucks that are worked less and lightly driven will fall apart sooner?
Yeah seems like most people on here use these trucks as daily drivers for the majority of the usage. The main ones I see without issue are the hot shots doing highway all day.

jetrinka

Reaction score
And that is bad thing? BMW's inline 6 is one of the most awarded motor designs in recent history. Heck, even Toyota uses it in their Supra.
The Supra certainly doesn’t get much love from the purists for just that reason.

And it depends on who you talk to. For a joe that never bothers to pop his own hood it won’t make a lick of difference. For someone like me who works on all his own stuff it makes a world of difference. It’s one of the things that attracted me to the Hemi - just a good (mostly) old fashioned pushrod V8 with port fuel injection. Easy peasy to work on. Heck I could probably fix most things in a parts store parking lot if I had to.

Users who are viewing this thread