Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have the 2019-2020 trailer camera yet?

D

Deleted member 80

Rod Romain, and Jim Morrison were really bragging this stuff up at the 2019 launch. What a joke! All sizzle and no steak. I'd be happy if they would at least let the side view cameras stay selected, or better yet come on with the turn signal like the GM stuff. Who designs this stuff?! They certainly never made a lane change, or a pass while pulling a 41' x 102" toy hauler.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rod Romain, and Jim Morrison were really bragging this stuff up at the 2019 launch. What a joke! All sizzle and no steak. I'd be happy if they would at least let the side view cameras stay selected, or better yet come on with the turn signal like the GM stuff. Who designs this stuff?! They certainly never made a lane change, or a pass while pulling a 41' x 102" toy hauler.
Exactly. Side view needs to come on with turn signal or at least give you that option in settings anyway. I'm an accident waiting to happen while I'm driving down the interstate and I'm pulling 13k , running at spd and trying to look for my back up cam icon to then find side view cam button. I'm all over the interstate. Of coarse I wouldn't need to use the side view cam while making maneuvers if I could leave the damn back up camera on. Between guessing with side view camera and seeing blind spot light in mirror with conventional trailer so it will work while hauling a fifth wheel or goose, wich is only an estimate to when you cleared a vehicle. A back up cam that stayed on would be so much safer and easier. I can only hope that we will all get a flash update to our systems someday that pops up. This would be a good spot for a holding my breath emoji

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Adding insult to injury:

"It won’t let the tailgate cameras stay on but does let the accessory trailer camera.. I haven’t been able to get the invisible calibration to work and I’m told it was designed for a 35 ft max..
I can show sides and rear at same time however."

It also flips to the side view when he actuates a turn signal, then flips back to his combined or rear view. (He didn't have the boat attached for this pic).

1594185660764.png

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I love my truck, but they could of done better. It's not like they were inventing this stuff when other manufacturers are using the technology.
The only problem I've had so far by setting my trailer for conventional instead of fiver /goose while pulling a fiver so the blind spot works is that maybe once in 750 miles will the lane departure kick off for some reason and I just turn it back on.

regal2800

Reaction score
I just finished installing my own version of the trailer camera. From the rear of my trailer, I ran Siamese cable, which is a RG6 cable and 18AWG power wires molded together. Siamese cable is commonly used in CCTV applications. The camera I used is a custom build. I took an inexpensive rear view camera and gutted it to get the housing. Then I installed a camera module that is 1080p with a Sony backlit sensor. The trailer connector was taken from a Ford trailer harness that I bought. The trailer side connector is the exact mate to the bumper connector on the truck. I think the picture will show that this camera setup is far superior to the junk that RAM supplies for over 500 bucks. Of course, this is a picture of a picture, so it is far better in real life.
View attachment 5522
I just finished installing my own version of the trailer camera. From the rear of my trailer, I ran Siamese cable, which is a RG6 cable and 18AWG power wires molded together. Siamese cable is commonly used in CCTV applications. The camera I used is a custom build. I took an inexpensive rear view camera and gutted it to get the housing. Then I installed a camera module that is 1080p with a Sony backlit sensor. The trailer connector was taken from a Ford trailer harness that I bought. The trailer side connector is the exact mate to the bumper connector on the truck. I think the picture will show that this camera setup is far superior to the junk that RAM supplies for over 500 bucks. Of course, this is a picture of a picture, so it is far better in real life.
View attachment 5522

Hey thats cool. I dont know why some of these manufatures use such junkie cameras when the betters ones are so cheap.

Anyway, do you have part number for the Ford 12 pin cable and contactor? and do you have schematic for the ram 12pin plug to identify the pins? Im assuming pin placement is different on ram and ford? and which camera did you use? maybe we can use the ford camera and simply reposition the pins to match the ram?

Killroy

Reaction score
I wonder if you can use the connector on the tailgate camera, and plug in an aux camera and run a wire to the back of your trailer?

JLB

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 5.7 3.92 rear & this is our 2nd year pulling a TT. Like all of you HD guys, I would like a wired trailer camera connected to my 12" display. Using a wireless camera with a 4" monitor. Anyone have information if the 82215833AB aux camera prep kit will work with my 1500?

JLB

Reaction score
I would consider getting the hardware to split the rear camera connect for the trailer camera.

grum

Reaction score
I just took a picture of my 2019 trailer connector in the bed. Like @Phil T said, it might be possible by adapt the 2020 plate to fit in the bed with some modifications.

View attachment 3984
this is what i did to my 2019.. it works nicely and looks pretty decent. i used the stock bumper connector, i retained the 4 pin / 7 pin on the bumper..

Attachments

• 20210306_182621.jpg
    20210306_182621.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 78

stinson87

Reaction score
So, I have been thinking of this quite a bit and besides the camera timeout, That i think some of the Alfaobd guys got around, Getting the turn system to work may be rather easy.

There are a few companies that make camera switches, so if you get one with trigger lines, you can run that to the turn signals (may need a way to keep alive between flashes)
Wire all cameras to the switch, run a single line from the trailer to the truck using the CHMSL camera port, or a switch in line of this (unless you have surround view)
here is one version: https://www.amazon.com/iBeam-USA-TE-TSI-Signal-Interface/dp/B00OYGPVP0
Then your trailer side is doing all of the switching, the truck just thinks its the CHMSL camera.

This will not work with surround view since those are digital cameras and not analog.

I am also planning on connecting the trailer to truck with a wireless transmitter from the nose of the trailer to the truck.

Ill probably play with this in the summer, if i get time at home and not camping and once I finish my 5" to 8.4" conversion... dont have a CHMSL option currently :/

Last edited:

QuadJoe4x4

Reaction score
View attachment 2137 View attachment 2138 View attachment 2139
Ok, So here's some pics of the #8221577OAB trailer camera.
1) camera is powered by harness thru truck connection - mtg brackets / zip ties, etc included
2) It contains several lengths of wire harness that you plug together depending on trailer length up to about 50 ft.
3) The harness connector socket is to the right of rear license plate (if you have the truck harness which is separate.
The truck wiring harness is separate; If you have the harness, your info center will show a blue screen for trailer camera until connected. I think this is more suited for bumper pullers (not 5vers) unless the truck plug is re-located near the trailer connection in the truck bed.
I ordered my 2021 3500 with the camera wiring already installed. I also ordered the 5th wheel prep. I find the 12 pin camera connector at the rear bumper (pull trailer) AND at the 5th wheel plug.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered my 2021 3500 with the camera wiring already installed. I also ordered the 5th wheel prep. I find the 12 pin camera connector at the rear bumper (pull trailer) AND at the 5th wheel plug.

Pretty good chance it's only the bed connector that's plugged in.

Unless RAM changed something that nobody has reported, there's no Y cable to connect both at the same time.

If you're going to bumper pull, you might want to check the connection behind the bumper.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Unless RAM changed something that nobody has reported, there's no Y cable to connect both at the same time.

If you're going to bumper pull, you might want to check the connection behind the bumper.
I wish my 19 would have the connector in the bed and the 4 pin on the bumper seems silly the way they did it would make sense without the 5th wheel prep

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish my 19 would have the connector in the bed and the 4 pin on the bumper seems silly the way they did it would make sense without the 5th wheel prep

I think all the parts (12-pin/7-pin combo plug) and cables are listed in this post.

Should be easy enough to find the 4-pin/7-pin connector as well, I've seen it listed in one of the fifth wheel prep threads...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think all the parts (12-pin/7-pin combo plug) and cables are listed in this post.

Should be easy enough to find the 4-pin/7-pin connector as well, I've seen it listed in one of the fifth wheel prep threads...
Not gonna spend money switching them around just voicing my frustration lol

QuadJoe4x4

Reaction score

You are correct. Thanks for the heads up. It would have been a headscratcher for a bit when I tried to use it. Here is what I have. It comes already connected to the 5th wheel. If I decide I want to use the bumper I would have to disconnect the 5th wheel cable and connect the bumper cable at this point. Seems cheezy.

Attachments

• Camera Wiring No Y.JPG
    Camera Wiring No Y.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 65

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct. Thanks for the heads up. It would have been a headscratcher for a bit when I tried to use it. Here is what I have. It comes already connected to the 5th wheel. If I decide I want to use the bumper I would have to disconnect the 5th wheel cable and connect the bumper cable at this point. Seems cheezy.
Agree. If I had the need for both, I would track down the connectors and pins and build a Y cable.

Ranger62

Reaction score
So, reading all of this thread, what is the general consensus from you all about this system? I have been debating on whether to spend the money on my '22 Order and now I'm not sure if it's worth the money they're asking for it. I'll be running hot shot in my truck, so was hoping for a good back up camera system, but kind of sounding like this isn't quite as good as it may sound?

airwolf98

Reaction score
The camera system came with the truck I just bought. I came here to see if anyone had installed it yet, and see if it functions with the Rear view mirror cam?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The camera system came with the truck I just bought. I came here to see if anyone had installed it yet, and see if it functions with the Rear view mirror cam?

This thread is primarily for 2019-2020 trucks.

2021 added Trailer Surround view (12-pin) 4-camera system

2022 added Digital Tow mode (rearview mirror cam) coax digital camera

If you're looking for 2021-2022 truck info, try this thread https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/2022-ram-tow-trailer-camera-options.6626/

Users who are viewing this thread