Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

KBob

Reaction score
Why would the software differ? The only software difference for the ECU (that I'm aware of anyway) relates to the fact that there are two CP4s. Since the trucks are getting identical pumps I'm at a loss at what is different.
Just my guess, but the trucks built with the first version CP4 were all the 2019, and a few of the 2020's... like mine. When they changed to the second version CP4 with less cam ramp it took a software change for that pump. Hence there are two different software packages installed on recalled trucks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just my guess, but the trucks built with the first version CP4 were all the 2019, and a few of the 2020's... like mine. When they changed to the second version CP4 with less cam ramp it took a software change for that pump. Hence there are two different software packages installed on recalled trucks.

I think his point was the assumed software difference between 2019 and 2020.

My 2020 has the same small dimple asym cam pump every 2019 does.

The bump to 1075 lb.ft in 21 HO trucks most certainly brought a software change, but also a large AISIN input shaft and (reportedly) some stronger internal drums. If anything, the early 2020 HO would be lumped in with the 2019 HO.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Why would the software differ? The only software difference for the ECU (that I'm aware of anyway) relates to the fact that there are two CP4s. Since the trucks are getting identical pumps I'm at a loss at what is different.
I posted what has been stated, I have no idea why the two years have different software. Hell, that may not be the reason at all, but it makes the most sense.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I posted what has been stated, I have no idea why the two years have different software. Hell, that may not be the reason at all, but it makes the most sense.
That's fair you don't know, was just responding to your comment. As someone that works on software, I will tell you that it does not make any sense to me.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
From what i have read it appears the 19s have different EPA standards so the flash is different that would make sense as to why i was able to schedule mine here in Canada as we are not bound by the same EPA standards

John Jensen

Reaction score
The question I have, and I get conflicting answers, is what happens if you are tuned. The dealer has to flash the PCM. When they flash the PCM I assume that will create a new stock tune, however, I could be wrong, maybe the flash does not touch the tune. I called Calibrated to ask if I need to send them the new stock tune for updated their tunes. I called four times because of their uncertainty, I received 3 no answers and one yes answer.

Does anyone have any insight to what might be required after the Y78 flash and tunes?

I'm also posting this on Cummins Forum

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The question I have, and I get conflicting answers, is what happens if you are tuned. The dealer has to flash the PCM. When they flash the PCM I assume that will create a new stock tune, however, I could be wrong, maybe the flash does not touch the tune. I called Calibrated to ask if I need to send them the new stock tune for updated their tunes. I called four times because of their uncertainty, I received 3 no answers and one yes answer.

Does anyone have any insight to what might be required after the Y78 flash and tunes?

I'm also posting this on Cummins Forum
The only thing i can see is calibrated may have to tweek the tune due to the CP3 calibrations but that should just be a matter of you loading the tune then sending a log file after a day or so of driving

John Jensen

Reaction score
The only thing i can see is calibrated may have to tweek the tune due to the CP3 calibrations but that should just be a matter of you loading the tune then sending a log file after a day or so of driving
Thanks, that makes sense. The only Calibrated tech who said yes, said about the same as you. The other three said no need to do anything

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks, that makes sense. The only Calibrated tech who said yes, said about the same as you. The other three said no need to do anything
The changes i suspect we will see are only to the fuel pressures i am sure we may see a decrease in rail pressure and perhaps some slight timing changes to compensate for the decreased rail pressure. My tuner is also ready to do the updates as needed when my truck gets back to me i deleted my truck but and will be flashing back to stock so they can do the recall then i get to pull the exhaust off as i had kept the intact tuning now it will be full delete tuning.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
The changes i suspect we will see are only to the fuel pressures i am sure we may see a decrease in rail pressure and perhaps some slight timing changes to compensate for the decreased rail pressure. My tuner is also ready to do the updates as needed when my truck gets back to me i deleted my truck but and will be flashing back to stock so they can do the recall then i get to pull the exhaust off as i had kept the intact tuning now it will be full delete tuning.
I'm holding off buying a tuner with parts until I get this recall dealt with.
They better not screw around with rail pressure, etc, I bought a 400hp/1000lbft truck and this is what I still expect to have after the recall.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm holding off buying a tuner with parts until I get this recall dealt with.
They better not screw around with rail pressure, etc, I bought a 400hp/1000lbft truck and this is what I still expect to have after the recall.
I dont think you would lose if the flash is done right even with lower rail pressure.

g00fy

Reaction score
So I dropped my 2019 off Sunday night for all open recalls including Y78, and a CEL related to a DPF sensor.

Late in the day Tuesday they called and said that my truck "Failed" the Y78 inspection they did monday, and they just got the parts in so they should have the truck done wednesday or thursday.

Well, Thursday they called and said all my recalls were done, but when they dug into that DPF temperature sensor CEL they found i needed a whole new DPF and they just secured the parts from another dealer so my truck should be ready friday (today).

I'm wondering now if my CP4 was failing and caused a sooting issue that clogged up the DPF? I had just done my fuel filters last week and i saw no evidence of glitter anywhere, so I'm really curious to see what the documents say when i pick the truck up.

John Jensen

Reaction score
So I dropped my 2019 off Sunday night for all open recalls including Y78, and a CEL related to a DPF sensor.

Late in the day Tuesday they called and said that my truck "Failed" the Y78 inspection they did monday, and they just got the parts in so they should have the truck done wednesday or thursday.

Well, Thursday they called and said all my recalls were done, but when they dug into that DPF temperature sensor CEL they found i needed a whole new DPF and they just secured the parts from another dealer so my truck should be ready friday (today).

I'm wondering now if my CP4 was failing and caused a sooting issue that clogged up the DPF? I had just done my fuel filters last week and i saw no evidence of glitter anywhere, so I'm really curious to see what the documents say when i pick the truck up.
Sounds like you have a very competent dealer. Please keep us posted.

red

Reaction score
Just got a message from my dealer. My pump kit has arrived. Just have to get it booked in now.

Wrangler

Reaction score

Same here . Check engine light came on. Def temperature sensors failed. The def tank needs to be replaced as part is nonserviceable. My understanding that filters are before cp4 pump.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Same here . Check engine light came on. Def temperature sensors failed. The def tank needs to be replaced as part is nonserviceable. My understanding that filters are before cp4 pump.
The tank should not need to be replaced just the pump as its got the temp sensor in it

Yes the filters are before the CP4 but there is a return line for the fuel to go back to the tank that comes from the rail so glitter will get back to the tank and then In to the filters

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Very interesting see i had a touch of glitter in DEC when i changed my filters so perhaps mine may need the complete package but until i saw your post i was under the common theory here that the pump fails all at once not gradually dieing

John Jensen

Reaction score
Very interesting see i had a touch of glitter in DEC when i changed my filters so perhaps mine may need the complete package but until i saw your post i was under the common theory here that the pump fails all at once not gradually dieing
Wow! I too, have been told, read about and heard that the failure was instant, no gradual, etc. Now you and g00fy report otherwise. Hoping the pre-changeout inspections can detect that glitter and report accordingly.

Edit:
There have been others who swore their pumps were beginning to fail and everyone poo-pooed it stating not possible because the failure is instant. Looks like they were correct with gradual failing.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I dropped my new-to-me 2019 off at a SF Bay Area dealer yesterday. They addressed the Z20 recall (ESC Malfunction) and approved me for the Y78 recall (HPFP). I'm 8th on their list and they are able to get 2 kits per week, which means it'll be my turn in a month.

Users who are viewing this thread