Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

sludge

Reaction score
Is the cable in the tow mode camera kit the only cable available from Ram? The included cable will work great for my toy hauler, but I could use a shorter cable ( about 10' or so) for a camper set up.

22Ram2500

Reaction score
3d printed a mount to fit the existing Furion camera mounting locationView attachment 35141
Great write up and setup. I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell one of these 3-D mounts would ya? I have the mount for a Furion Camera in my 5th Wheel Grand Design and was trying to figure out how to mount the camera. I just ordered the camera kit myself and the plug as I will be relocating the camera port. If you'd be willing to sell one of these mounts or point me in the right direction on how to obtain one I'd be eternally greatful! Thanks!

22Ram2500

Reaction score
I've just finished reading this entire thread over the last couple of days. I have a SRW 3500 Limited w/ Ram Boxes. I also have the digital rearview mirror and all the connections on the rear next to the license plate location. I had to install a B&W turnover and add a kit for the trailer plug as you cannot order a 5th wheel prep through Ram with the Ram Boxes. My questions to everyone here is, do I have the right part numbers and everything I need to get this to work. This is what I ordered:
68527599AA - This is the camera kit of which if I understand everything I've read on here, it includes 51' of wiring to get from the rear of my 5th wheel to my bumper. I have a 39' 5th so I may need to order an extension through Amazon, but want to see how close I get.
68526870AA - This is the plug I'll need to install on the left of the license plate once I relocate the camera port to inside my bed.

As far as can read, I should not need anything additional. If I do need anything additional, I'd definitely appreciate any feedback. This thread has been a lifesaver to this.

TIA

gator6

Reaction score
My friend just came by with his Denali, has the same issue as far as camera hookups on the bumper, but he has two connectors…oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
I've just finished reading this entire thread over the last couple of days. I have a SRW 3500 Limited w/ Ram Boxes. I also have the digital rearview mirror and all the connections on the rear next to the license plate location. I had to install a B&W turnover and add a kit for the trailer plug as you cannot order a 5th wheel prep through Ram with the Ram Boxes. My questions to everyone here is, do I have the right part numbers and everything I need to get this to work. This is what I ordered:
68527599AA - This is the camera kit of which if I understand everything I've read on here, it includes 51' of wiring to get from the rear of my 5th wheel to my bumper. I have a 39' 5th so I may need to order an extension through Amazon, but want to see how close I get.
68526870AA - This is the plug I'll need to install on the left of the license plate once I relocate the camera port to inside my bed.

As far as can read, I should not need anything additional. If I do need anything additional, I'd definitely appreciate any feedback. This thread has been a lifesaver to this.

TIA
Looking up part number 68526870AA shows: 2019-2022 RAM Rear Rear Bumper Step Pad - Mopar (68526870AA) Part can be found as reference #1 in illustration. Some other parts descriptions call it a Cover. Bumper.

gprguy

Reaction score
Just finished reading through the entire thread.. Great info, and I think I pretty well understand how the camera and packages work on the 2500/3500's.

I'm optioning a 2022 5500 Limited, and the surround camera options appear the same - order the towing technology group and you get the surround camera setup. Add XN1 for the trailer side of the surround cameras.

For the rear camera for the mirror - order the safety group (or level1) to get the digital rear view mirror.

However there is an option code XPN called "Wired Auxiliary Camera by Mopar", it's $1,080 MSRP, and the only description is that it includes "Trailer Camera Wiring (No Camera) by Mopar".

Does anyone know what XPN is exactly? That seems like a lot for the truck side wiring harness if it doesn't even come with the camera.

My end goal is to have the trailer surround system as well as the rear view mirror that can either show the CHMSL camera or the aux rear camera if it's plugged in for the back of my camper or trailer. Ideally I'd have a camera for each. But I don't know if XPN is needed, and can't find anything about it in this thread or online.

Thanks!

RLMandich

Reaction score
Just finished reading through the entire thread.. Great info, and I think I pretty well understand how the camera and packages work on the 2500/3500's.

I'm optioning a 2022 5500 Limited, and the surround camera options appear the same - order the towing technology group and you get the surround camera setup. Add XN1 for the trailer side of the surround cameras.

For the rear camera for the mirror - order the safety group (or level1) to get the digital rear view mirror.

However there is an option code XPN called "Wired Auxiliary Camera by Mopar", it's $1,080 MSRP, and the only description is that it includes "Trailer Camera Wiring (No Camera) by Mopar".

Does anyone know what XPN is exactly? That seems like a lot for the truck side wiring harness if it doesn't even come with the camera.

My end goal is to have the trailer surround system as well as the rear view mirror that can either show the CHMSL camera or the aux rear camera if it's plugged in for the back of my camper or trailer. Ideally I'd have a camera for each. But I don't know if XPN is needed, and can't find anything about it in this thread or online.

Thanks!
With the Limited, I assume you already have the digital rear view mirror. Should be no need for XPN because you already have the camera module on board in the truck talking to the mirror.

If you order XH7, you get a wired camera (50’ wire + a digital camera). This is $450 or so. This allows you to put the camera out on the back of your trailer and see the image in the mirror. The CHMSL camera allows you to also see in the rear view mirror. This camera plugs in at the bumper (see other discussions about the need to relocate this plug to the bed if you are towing a 5er).

XN1 gives you a wired set of surround cameras for your trailer. Depending on the type of trailer, it might be very difficult to run those wires. This surround view goes to the 12” screen but is not operational at highway speeds. I understand it will come on only for a short time while going forward, and only at low speeds. It’s mainly for backing up. Ram must not want us looking down at the screen while towing down the highway.

gprguy

Reaction score
Thanks @RLMandich. Yes the digital rear view mirror comes with the towing technology group, so that's all set.

XN1 I am not worried about, I understand what it is and shouldn't have much trouble installing it on our big cargo trailer.

The thing is XH7 does not appear to be an option on the chassis cabs, so I am trying to figure out if XPN is the equivalent, or something else entirely. I can't find anything about XPN online.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The way the buyers guide reads, XPN appears to be the analog trailer camera. They requires pins in the connector that are taken by the analog cargo camera on non-surround trucks.

@Jimmy07 can confirm (bet he gets tired of getting tagged LOL).

The tow mode camera is shown in the digital rearview as AVF [ETA: correction - AVF appears to be the mirror/camera combo). Is that available on build and price when the mirror is already in the level package?

1650130775354.png

1650131183714.png

Last edited:

gprguy

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. Yeah I am sure Jimmy is tired of it too after reading through all 34 pages of this thread. :D Hopefully this is a new mystery and not retreading everything prior though..

So on Ram's build & price at least, for a 5500 Limited, the digital rear view mirror comes in the Safety Group (AAU). There is an AVF package that includes the mirror and the tow-mode / up-fit camera (wired) but if you select it, it deselects the safety group which is not what I am going for.

It sounds to me like you're saying that if the XPN camera is the analog camera, it's incompatible with the surround camera (because both need some of the same pins) and would display on the radio, not the rear view? The configurator lets me select both, but of course that's been wrong before..

Ideally I want to end up with something similar to the normal trucks - a 12 pin connector for the XN1 trailer surround cameras plus that other coax connector from the driver's side of the license plate to connect an additional camera to the digital rear view mirror. And keep the safety group.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So on Ram's build & price at least, for a 5500 Limited, the digital rear view mirror comes in the Safety Group (AAU). There is an AVF package that includes the mirror and the tow-mode / up-fit camera (wired) but if you select it, it deselects the safety group which is not what I am going for.
Safety group comes with the digital rear view mirror. AVF package also comes with digital rear view mirror. If you select safety group, then select AVF, it will kick the safety group because it contains an item that is included in safety group, so one package will REPLACE another in that situation. If you want the tow mode camera, you would have to choose safety group and the a la cart tow mode camera (XH7 I believe). If XH7 isn’t available at the moment, but AVF is, you just have to decide how bad you want the tow mode camera vs all the other features in the safety group.
It sounds to me like you're saying that if the XPN camera is the analog camera, it's incompatible with the surround camera (because both need some of the same pins) and would display on the radio, not the rear view? The configurator lets me select both, but of course that's been wrong before..
XPN is the analog auxiliary trailer camera. The reason it says not available with LPD is because LPD is the cargo camera equipped on non surround view trucks, and it is analog and uses the same camera input pins on the radio as the aux trailer camera.
If the truck is optioned with either truck surround view only, or with the trailer surround view, the truck will be prepped with the 12 pin trailer connector, and wiring on the truck for the trailer surround view system AND analog aux trailer camera number 2 (can’t use aux trailer camera number one because trailer surround uses the same camera input pins on the radio).
There is a member (@Webracin) that has successfully added the aux 2 trailer camera to the trailer surround system so they are all available to view.

gprguy

Reaction score
Thanks @Jimmy07 - I think I have it sorted out in my head. Sounds like I want to pick the safety group to get the mirror (and safety things), the towing technology group and XN1 options for the trailer surround, and hope that the truck comes with a connection for the tow mode camera as part of that. Then either add XH7 if it becomes available again, or try to get the camera kit for the trailer via the parts desk which seems problematic. It doesn't sound like I want XPN in this situation because XPN wouldn't display on the rear view mirror, it'd be on the radio as I've seen some of the marked up photos you've posed in the past.

Reality is this will likely be an early MY 2023 order and I'm sure it will all change again. o_O

Much appreciated all.

sludge

Reaction score
When I ordered my 5500 Laramie chassis cab, you could get the digital rearview mirror by including either:
- the safety group
- the tow mode digital rearview mirror package
You could not configure both on an order.

The safety group included:
- other safety items
- digital rearview mirror
- kit with associated wiring to install the tow mode camera connection socket/cover in your rear bumper or wherever
When ordering the safety group, the actual tow mode camera kit could not be ordered with the build, you had to order it later through the parts desk.

The tow mode digital rearview mirror package included:
- digital rearview mirror
- kit with associated wiring to install the tow mode camera connection socket/cover in your rear bumper or wherever
- the tow mode camera kit that plugs in the connection socket/cover

I wanted the other items in the safety group, so that's the route I went. I was able to get the tow mode camera kit a few weeks ago for $500 from a dealer on line.

RichOutlaw

Reaction score
This solution worked. Thanks again.
Bingfu Fakra Z Female to Male Vehicle Antenna Extension Cable 2m 6.5 feet for Car Stereo Android Head Unit GPS Navigation FM AM Radio Sirius XM Satellite Radio 4G LTE TEL Telematics Bluetooth Module
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MT4WGCG/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_43WFNMQHA6BA90Y0HK32
I had to get a 20’ one for my toy hauler. The picture is the same.
I have used this part and it is all working and I am happy with this. My only question is, Why doesnt Ram have a solution for their products?

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Hello all - new to the forum and new to RAM. Ordered a 2022 2500 Limited Longhorn Megacab in November last year and just got it this week. I came to this forum searching for RV camera info and have read all 34 pages of this thread - I won’t say I comprehended all 34 pages - but the theme of the difference between the 12 pin and the coax connections was pretty clear after their 100th repeat…you all have some patience LOL!

I’ve reached out to my dealer for help sourcing the part I need ((P)68527599AA) so I don’t have to add the Voyager screen to the cab. Looks like I’m going to have to wait a while but it will be great when finally here. Thanks for the VERY detailed descriptions to clarify what was a pretty muddy situation.

gator6

Reaction score
Do we have a trailer surround view thread? How many of you have put these on your RV or trailer? Mine is almost 44’ so I’m trying to figure out best placement for the box so it can reach the bed for connection.

Also, if you have the trailer rear view camera, how did you route your cable? Pics would be great if you took any.

I’m a little peeved today because I got burned on a Amazon purchase (flexible solar panel with a misrepresentation of its wattage rating), and I’m trying to make the best of my trip to the RV today to get something accomplished.

Thanks in advance!

gator6

Reaction score
Bingfu Fakra Z Female to Male Vehicle Antenna Extension Cable 2m 6.5 feet for Car Stereo Android Head Unit GPS Navigation FM AM Radio Sirius XM Satellite Radio 4G LTE TEL Telematics Bluetooth Module
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MT4WGCG/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_43WFNMQHA6BA90Y0HK32
I had to get a 20’ one for my toy hauler. The picture is the same.

Hey 22, does this connect to the camera or the truck? I guess I’ll find out, I just ordered the 20’ for the Fuzion. Trying to at least get the camera mounted so I can get something accomplished today.

I thought about routing along the underbelly, but there is no great, clean way to do that. My best course is to route along the top and come down beside a slide, then underneath.

5b5527dabe537a6d25b0c2e715b17067.jpg

98a4468dc5654016f987feb1c99279aa.jpg

fa5ca0d84e2be6957382fa9331e173ab.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread