Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Brewmark

Reaction score
Half Borrego Springs, Ca. Half McCall, Idaho
I also just completed moving the Tow Mode bumper connector to inside the bed.

Ordered 5th when prep so duh. That should be part of 5th wheel prep!

RAM, are you listening?

My process was to remove spare tire, then pinch the clips on the connector in, to release it from the bumper. Then pinch the release for the FAKRA cable to disconnect it from the connector. Before I cut the hole in my brand new truck I wanted to know if I could get the cable to reach the area around 7 & 12 pin connectors. I cut two tie wraps and had plenty to reach. Then I made a template and cut the hole in the bed. Not real good at cutting straight in sheet metal but I got it done. After looking at the connector and the little fins that are at the base where the assembly mates with the truck, I decided those big cutouts on each end weren’t necessary. Just a small cutout for the fin would do. Probably about an 8th of an inch. So I just used the side of a good sized file to notch the corners for those “fins”. Then I primed the bare metal with white metal primer (All I had). Let that dry overnight and the next morning coated over the primed metal with black paint. I needed to make a gasket to fill the extra space and happened to have some fiber reinforced rubber gasket material that was about a 16th of an inch. So I cut out 3 and then glued them together. Let that dry under pressure and fished the FAKRA cable up through the new hole and connected it to the connector and slide it into place. I heard a big click as the clips cleared the sheet metal and expanded to lock the connector to the bed. The connector is solid! WooHoo! DONE!

I installed the camera on my 31 foot 5th wheel a few weeks ago. I fished it through the king pin area, into the front storage area. Then to protect it and allow for adjustments I had a bunch of ½ inch poly tubing used for drip irrigation and it was perfect to run the FAKRA cable through it all the way from the front to the rear of the camper. Used half inch clamps to secure to I-beam. I then ran it up the back wall, tie wrapping it to the posts holding the ladder to the trailer and up to the top. Used the track along the rear to make some tie downs from the ladder area to the camera. The camera now sits in the same spot as my former wireless Voyager camera. I checked out the view. Looked good in the Digital mirror. Will refine before we leave for the east coast in May

Attachments

• 20220228_130557.jpg
    20220228_130557.jpg
    951.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220228_134915.jpg
    20220228_134915.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • 20220228_135030.jpg
    20220228_135030.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 74

gator6

Reaction score
I also just completed moving the Tow Mode bumper connector to inside the bed.

Ordered 5th when prep so duh. That should be part of 5th wheel prep!

RAM, are you listening?

My process was to remove spare tire, then pinch the clips on the connector in, to release it from the bumper. Then pinch the release for the FAKRA cable to disconnect it from the connector. Before I cut the hole in my brand new truck I wanted to know if I could get the cable to reach the area around 7 & 12 pin connectors. I cut two tie wraps and had plenty to reach. Then I made a template and cut the hole in the bed. Not real good at cutting straight in sheet metal but I got it done. After looking at the connector and the little fins that are at the base where the assembly mates with the truck, I decided those big cutouts on each end weren’t necessary. Just a small cutout for the fin would do. Probably about an 8th of an inch. So I just used the side of a good sized file to notch the corners for those “fins”. Then I primed the bare metal with white metal primer (All I had). Let that dry overnight and the next morning coated over the primed metal with black paint. I needed to make a gasket to fill the extra space and happened to have some fiber reinforced rubber gasket material that was about a 16th of an inch. So I cut out 3 and then glued them together. Let that dry under pressure and fished the FAKRA cable up through the new hole and connected it to the connector and slide it into place. I heard a big click as the clips cleared the sheet metal and expanded to lock the connector to the bed. The connector is solid! WooHoo! DONE!

I installed the camera on my 31 foot 5th wheel a few weeks ago. I fished it through the king pin area, into the front storage area. Then to protect it and allow for adjustments I had a bunch of ½ inch poly tubing used for drip irrigation and it was perfect to run the FAKRA cable through it all the way from the front to the rear of the camper. Used half inch clamps to secure to I-beam. I then ran it up the back wall, tie wrapping it to the posts holding the ladder to the trailer and up to the top. Used the track along the rear to make some tie downs from the ladder area to the camera. The camera now sits in the same spot as my former wireless Voyager camera. I checked out the view. Looked good in the Digital mirror. Will refine before we leave for the east coast in May

Appreciate the walk-thru, but one question. What did you do with the hole left behind in the bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewmark

Reaction score
Appreciate the walk-thru, but one question. What did you do with the hole left behind in the bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ordered and received the plug. Part number: 68526870AA. I ordered from Mopar.com. It was 13.90 plus shipping and tax total $19.35. Of course I found it later for about 3 dollars less after ordering. LOL
68526870AARear Bumper Step Pad

Brewmark

Reaction score
When I look up that part number it says Step Pad
Yes as my post showed. It confused me also but if you look at the parts breakout it is a part of what they are calling the step pad which includes all of the plastic/abs or whatever they cover the bumper with. They don't give names to the separate components that are part of the Step Pad. If you order that part though you will get the plug. Jimmy 07 posted about it in this thread and gave us the number. This site has it for 9.86 and shows a blow up of the Rear Bumper Step Pad and describes the 68526870AA part as a cover. (https://www.moparpart.com/oem-parts/mopar-rear-bumper-step-pad-68526870aa)

• Other Names: Bumper Cover, Cover
  • Description:
    Omission Cover. Plug.

sh4rkattk

Reaction score
I mounted my trailer surround camera system today. Temp hook up and checked on the truck monitor. Works great. I've got to make a mounting bracket for the junction box tomorrow. I'm making it removable for taking to the next camper. Now if I can just get the wired tow camera.
Do you also have the digital rear view mirror? Can the mirror show the rear camera through the surround camera system?

Or to have both the rear view and trailer surround working one would need to install the trailer surround system and the trailer tow camera?

ACEd

Reaction score
Do you also have the digital rear view mirror? Can the mirror show the rear camera through the surround camera system?

Or to have both the rear view and trailer surround working one would need to install the trailer surround system and the trailer tow camera?
3 separate systems (well 2 1/2)
1. Older single Trailer Rear Camera (12 pin connector) ONLY displays thru Uconnect screen - not sure but this may only work (a) in reverse, (b) when selected for 10 seconds, (c) at low speeds

2. Trailer Surround View (4 cameras working together for "360" view looking down) (12 pin connector) ONLY displays thru Uconnect screen, only works (a) in reverse, (b) when selected for 10 seconds

Must select (1) or (2) - CAN NOT USE CONCURRENTLY and CAN NOT DISPLAY THRU DIGITAL REAR VIEW MIRROR

If you expect full time 360 view of trailer - I believe you will be disappointed as the 360 view is limited (time, speed, etc)

3. TowMode Digital Rear View Camera - Coax / FAKRA connector - displays thru Digital Rear View Mirror - ONLY system that displays thru Rear View Mirror - will NOT display on Uconnect Screen

If you want full time trailer Rear View, I believe you need (3) Tow Mode / Digital Rear View Mirror System

sh4rkattk

Reaction score
1. Older single Trailer Rear Camera (12 pin connector) ONLY displays thru Uconnect screen - not sure but this may only work (a) in reverse, (b) when selected for 10 seconds, (c) at low speeds

2. Trailer Surround View (4 cameras working together for "360" view looking down) (12 pin connector) ONLY displays thru Uconnect screen, only works (a) in reverse, (b) when selected for 10 seconds

Must select (1) or (2) - CAN NOT USE CONCURRENTLY and CAN NOT DISPLAY THRU DIGITAL REAR VIEW MIRROR

If you expect full time 360 view of trailer - I believe you will be disappointed as the 360 view is limited (time, speed, etc)

3. TowMode Digital Rear View Camera - Coax / FAKRA connector - displays thru Digital Rear View Mirror - ONLY system that displays thru Rear View Mirror - will NOT display on Uconnect Screen

If you want full time trailer Rear View, I believe you need (3) Tow Mode / Digital Rear View Mirror System
Thank you. Now I understand.

Rampingup

Reaction score
@ACEd said it perfect. I am awaiting a digital rear view tow mode camera which has been supposedly ordered. The surround camera system works well. It helped me to see when backing into my driveway so I didn't hit either the tree branches or the garage overhang. I don't think it would help to be able to use going down the road, if it were even possible, because the view is distorted due to the large area trying to be seen. My side cameras are trying to view 28' and put this on the 12" screen in a split window. However, at slow speed backing up it will be a great resource, especially in unfamiliar camping situations.

str8arro

Reaction score
Not sure if it can be ordered yet, but that is the part number on the bag for the trailer camera. I would imagine they are reserving any kits for the new truck builds until the chip shortage is more in control.
My dealership looked up the part number and told me there were only 3 at dealerships in the US. He gave me the name and numbers to the dealers that had them and I was able to get one from Tennessee for $565

Lumpskie

Reaction score

My apologies if this has been covered. I only have the tailgate reverse camera. If I wanted to attach another camera to be viewed on the U-Connect 8.4" screen, aligning with option 1 on your list, is there a way to do that? (I'd want to see the trailer camera when attached but see the tailgate camera when not attached... of have the option to see either)

My rig is a 2020 Laramie with Level 1 only, if that makes a difference.

Rampingup

Reaction score
On my 2020 which I traded off, I only had the 7 pin trailer connection. I didn't have the 12 pin necessary to attach the Aux 2 camera. I don't know if this can be added cost effectively if not on your truck. Someone else more knowledgeable hopefully will chime in.

ACEd

Reaction score
My apologies if this has been covered. I only have the tailgate reverse camera. If I wanted to attach another camera to be viewed on the U-Connect 8.4" screen, aligning with option 1 on your list, is there a way to do that? (I'd want to see the trailer camera when attached but see the tailgate camera when not attached... of have the option to see either)

First question is whether you have the 12 pin connector. If so probably can add

If not it may be possible but aa a minimum you would be looking at some significant issues including witing and possibly an additional module in dash. I think there was an earlier thread but you may have to search and it msy be significantly different 2020 vs 2022 and most of the current responses apply to the 2022 trucks.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score

There is a fairly lengthy thread with installation of a product by NAVIKS.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, guys. My truck only has the 4 and 7pin sockets in the back bumper. I saw the NAVIKS install but that looked like surround view. I was just hoping for an auxiliary reverse camera. I'm slowly reading through the "Trailer camera" thread Here:

It sounds like 2019 and 2020 were slightly different where 2019 didn't have a native 2 camera input but 2020 did. So... it is sounding like the back side of my 8.4" screen may have 2 locations for camera and I would need to take the dash apart and connect a separate 12 pin wiring harness to that. Then, I'd need to route it to the back of my truck, where I'd have to mount the connector to my back bumper. Then, I'd have to buy a trailer camera to plug into it. If I did that, perhaps the UConnect would recognize the new camera and I could select it as a new input to display when I reverse. Is that right?

Rampingup

Reaction score

It takes 2 different systems. I talked to my dealership parts this morning for the wired tow camera which I ordered. I was told when ordering it would be 40 days out for delivery, according to them today, it should be here tomorrow. That would be 17 days. I feel like I hit the lottery. I've got a maiden camping trip of 2000 miles beginning the 20th. Hopefully it will get here.

tombell

Reaction score
How does the digital rear view mirror camera included with with part # 68527599AA mount to the back of the trailer?

Brewmark

Reaction score
How does the digital rear view mirror camera included with with part # 68527599AA mount to the back of the trailer?
Wherever you want or can mount it where view will be helpful. I mounted mine on top in middle of my 5th wheel. I did have my Voyager wireless mounted in same spot.
f900c34128f2d5d74f3c00edb096ddd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Is the tow camera, wiring, and other equipment available for install on the 2021 Rams?

Users who are viewing this thread