Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

ACEd

Reaction score
Very well said. Just got off the phone with the dealership. They said the only camera available for my VIN is the 12 pin aux camera. The parts man is telling my sales person I don't have the plug in my bumper. She informed him that I had shown it to him. It would be comical under any other circumstances. Correct me if I'm wrong however, that as long as I have the FAHKRA connection in the back bumper, nothing else is needed for the tow camera package to be hooked up, the truck side is complete.
Cant imagine them spending the money to put connector there just to tease us - and why would you be able to order just the camera? Cant say for sure as I ordered camera with truck. But assuming you have digital rear view mirror, I would bet you would be ok.
Had almost the same experience with internet parts guy telling me I dont have a 12 pin connector. Sent him a picture and after that he just ignored me - ordered from another source but did not give them my VIN - but now parts on backorder.

Rockman

Reaction score
Ok so I purchased the tow mode camera for 22 truck. I have a loaded limited with level 1 and trailer tpms. I wanted tow mode camera but at the time of order that item was not available. I picked camera up from dealer list is over 700 I paid around 620.. plugged it in and got nothing.. when I try to switch to it in mirror it just shows connection error. I looked under bumper and followed the line down the cab. All is in tact.. decided to check camera on another truck. His truck is a Laramie with tow package. Does not state specifically tow mode camera anywhere on sticker. Plugged camera into his truck worked like a champ.. logged into alpha on my truck and found a line for tow mode module. I enabled it with no results.. So I’m guessing you need a tow mode module.. gave vins to both trucks to parts guy and he is trying to find the difference between both trucks.. stay tuned..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 57

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Ok so I purchased the tow mode camera for 22 truck. I have a loaded limited with level 1 and trailer tpms. I wanted tow mode camera but at the time of order that item was not available. I picked camera up from dealer list is over 700 I paid around 620.. plugged it in and got nothing.. when I try to switch to it in mirror it just shows connection error. I looked under bumper and followed the line down the cab. All is in tact.. decided to check camera on another truck. His truck is a Laramie with tow package. Does not state specifically tow mode camera anywhere on sticker. Plugged camera into his truck worked like a champ.. logged into alpha on my truck and found a line for tow mode module. I enabled it with no results.. So I’m guessing you need a tow mode module.. gave vins to both trucks to parts guy and he is trying to find the difference between both trucks.. stay tuned..
What is the VIN of your buddy’s truck (you can PM me if you want)?
What is the exact name of the AlfaOBD setting you changed? There is a tow module setting, but that is for the trailer brake controller.
As far as a module for the tow mode camera, there isn’t one.

Rampingup

Reaction score
Please, please keep us up to date. I received my truck on Wednesday. I ordered a wired tow camera package from the dealership yesterday. Parts $750 and they quote labor $290. My argument with them is that there was no labor involved since the camera is an add on for the trailer of which they wouldn't work on my trailer. They gave me a time frame of 40 days delivery +/-.

Rockman

Reaction score
Please, please keep us up to date. I received my truck on Wednesday. I ordered a wired tow camera package from the dealership yesterday. Parts $750 and they quote labor $290. My argument with them is that there was no labor involved since the camera is an add on for the trailer of which they wouldn't work on my trailer. They gave me a time frame of 40 days delivery +/-.
Let me know in detail what labor to get it to work. I am installing radar hard wire today and going to check and see if the mirror has two cables for input. If cables are connected must be something in software.

Rampingup

Reaction score
When I asked the sales person what labor was involved, she didn't have a clue. I'll try the service dept to see if I can get better answers.

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
Got my truck today and need to add about 6' to the trailer cable. I found this one but doesn't sound like it is water proof, anyone find one that is ? FAKRA CABLE

Last edited:

mixolydian12

Reaction score
when I try to switch to it in mirror it just shows connection error.

I have this exact problem also. Made an appointment at a dealer in a couple weeks. I ordered the camera as a part of the initial build so it is surprising that it doesn’t work.

Rockman

Reaction score
My guess is they left something unplugged or bad connection. I ordered the adapter to hook the camera directly to the mirror. If it works something is disconnected on cable between rear door headliner and bottom of cab. Just didn’t feel like pulling seatbelt and all the plastic till I know. If I hook the camera directly to the mirror and it does not work it is in the bcm settings somewhere.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is they left something unplugged or bad connection. I ordered the adapter to hook the camera directly to the mirror. If it works something is disconnected on cable between rear door headliner and bottom of cab. Just didn’t feel like pulling seatbelt and all the plastic till I know. If I hook the camera directly to the mirror and it does not work it is in the bcm settings somewhere.

There's another thread running here about issues with UC5 and it's been reported the latest update is what's fixing these cameras. They started rolling out OTA Feb5. If you aren't getting it and/or it isn't fixing the issue, then a dealer visit is probably in order.

kkerley

Reaction score
ok so finished fishing wires for tow mode camera, 360 trailer surround cameras, and 7 pin into the compartment behind the driver's side taillight. made a spacer out of aluminum to hold the tow mode camera connector tight to the plastic pillar at the rear of the bed. used one of the rear wheel well bolts to hold the plastic pillar firmly to the bed. hooked up all of the cameras and tested the connections and they all work! will pick up the gooseneck trailer this weekend and then comes the fun task of wiring the cameras to the trailer, probably more of a headache than wiring the truck but we will see.

Attachments

• IMG_9194.jpeg
    IMG_9194.jpeg
    842.4 KB · Views: 80

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
As of a few weeks ago Mopar had not issued a camera and trailer harness part # for the digital mirror option. Your truck will have a plug left of center in the bumper when the digital mirror is ordered.

This might have been meant for someone else?

I got my truck back in December and all squared away.

Just ended up with Digital mirror camera not surround.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
ok so finished fishing wires for tow mode camera, 360 trailer surround cameras, and 7 pin into the compartment behind the driver's side taillight. made a spacer out of aluminum to hold the tow mode camera connector tight to the plastic pillar at the rear of the bed. used one of the rear wheel well bolts to hold the plastic pillar firmly to the bed. hooked up all of the cameras and tested the connections and they all work! will pick up the gooseneck trailer this weekend and then comes the fun task of wiring the cameras to the trailer, probably more of a headache than wiring the truck but we will see.
Nice install!
Did it take long to get the coax plug ordered in? I looked at mine today, and did not see much room to install without cutting metal(regular 8 foot).

kkerley

Reaction score
Nice install!
Did it take long to get the coax plug ordered in? I looked at mine today, and did not see much room to install without cutting metal(regular 8 foot).
It took about a week to get in, yes different bed configurations are probably going to limit some options to install. Webracin posted where he cut the bed (metal) and 3D printed a shim here.

Rockman

Reaction score
Ok here is the info on tow mode camera… My 22 limited level 1 did not have camera on order due to restriction. I ordered the camera and it did not work. Video shows what the issue was And explains if your truck will have this option from the factory.. I’m posting on camera thread and build thread due to questions about it on both.. pm me if you have any questions..

2022 Ram Tow Mode Camera Fix

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So the issue was an improperly connected Fakra connector behind the C-pillar trim panel?

(for those that can't watch the video at work) ;)

Rampingup

Reaction score
Ok here is the info on tow mode camera… My 22 limited level 1 did not have camera on order due to restriction. I ordered the camera and it did not work. Video shows what the issue was And explains if your truck will have this option from the factory.. I’m posting on camera thread and build thread due to questions about it on both.. pm me if you have any questions..

SuperbikeBoomer

Reaction score

you are the MAN! this is exact problem ive been having. i going to pull that back panel tonight. thank you for taking the time to do this, very very much appreciated.

Rampingup

Reaction score

For whatever reason, my earlier reply didn't come thru. You ROCK. No wonder you go by rockman. I would hate to tear into a new truck, and hopefully won't have to. I however have gained a great deal of knowledge thanks to your efforts in the what, where and why to look for. Thanks, you are the MAN.

Users who are viewing this thread