Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HO vs non-HO MPG

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I only get about 130 miles out of my sporty, but it certainly has more smiles per gallon!!

D

Deleted member 80

I guess I’m just weird, but I am not concerned about MPG’s at all. Would it be nice to get more? Heck yea! I didn’t buy this truck to save on fuel, I got it to haul/tow whatever I want to. There are so many people on here concerned about fuel milage. At this level, does it matter? I guess for someone using their truck for business, hot shot, ect.....not condemning, just my thought process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me it's an indication of how "dialed in" the truck is, and to me the answer on the new ones, unfortunately, is "not very".

diezeldave

Reaction score
From what a dealer told me it's because 3500 and up are considered commercial vehicles. Don't know if it's true or not. However, I DO know that all I have to do is mash the fuel pedal with my HO version and it'll smoke the rear tires! Not for long, but it will spin 'em! As far as MPG goes, I'm just now finishing up my second set of fuel tank fillups, but my towing MPG average, according to my Mileage Keeper app is 8.1 across 58.67 gals. My fuel light just came on yesterday, so I'll need to fill both tanks again soon, so that MPG may change. The majority of the 1,400 miles so far have been towing a 39' toy hauler with my toy inside. And I'm one of those people who sets my cruise 5 mph over speed limit, towing or not!

Does your truck really actually spin the tires? Mine doesn't even act like it wants to try when I mash the accelerator.

D

Deleted member 80

The 2500 issue is about payload. The Cummins is a fair bit heavier than the others, so that already puts Ram at a payload disadvantage. The 68RFE apparently can't hold the torque of the HO, and the Aisin is much heavier. It was even 90+ lbs heavier than the Allison(so called)1000. I have not seen a published weight for the new phony Allison, but I'd guess it's not any heavier than the 1000 was. More payload disadvantage. This is all assuming they choose to stay within the long-standing weight classes, which GM basically chose to ignore by tagging their new 2500 above the threshold.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I still need to fuel up from the return trip to get the hand calculated numbers, but the lie-o-meter was indicating 8.9 MPG for my last trip.

771 miles - included a few short trips to launch and fuel the boat.

Much of that trip was running the big road at 70-75 MPH and there was certainly some hill pulling involved. Running over 65 MPH doesn't help. The return leg was eastbound over Wolf Creek pass CO with a 10,850 summit and grades as high as 6.8% On said grades, puling around 50+ MPH (45MPH limit) I was seeing instant MPG of as low as 2. Yea, 2 pulling the big hills. Rig in sig is around 25K gross.

It was fun passing an unladen Titan or F150.

zhauler

Reaction score
Does your truck really actually spin the tires? Mine doesn't even act like it wants to try when I mash the accelerator.
this, even with traction control off, mine is such a pig until second... I mean it's not my vette but I read that fca insisted they didn't limit power in first at all

ho version I can get close to fifteen if I'm not getting off the highway... high twelves if I'm stuck on surface streets

Tsys100718

Reaction score

Like I said, it won't turn 'em over for long, but yes Sir it will spin 'em on dry pavement! And that is with the traction control on. I've never turned that off. I guess I'll have to try it! Latest mileage update, across 116.191 gals, mostly towing a 39+ ft toy hauler @ 17k lbs … 8.2 mpg according to my fuel app. That is with the cruise set 5 mph over limit.

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
Just did first real caculated tank on my SO with 500lbs of cargo: lie-o-mtr:20.1, actual 19. Thats 46 gallons driving all kinds of terrain including 4wd and some nasty trails to 85mph highway with none of it very flat

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Just did first real caculated tank on my SO with 500lbs of cargo: lie-o-mtr:20.1, actual 19. Thats 46 gallons driving all kinds of terrain including 4wd and some nasty trails to 85mph highway with none of it very flat
That's impressive!
Did you do the VB6 recall on your truck? And if yes, how do you compare before and after fuel consumption?
I'm on the fence about doing it but don't want them to screw up with my fuel mileage as it's pretty good too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

MikeXM

Reaction score
This morning I made a 200 miles run in near perfect conditions (3/4 mostly flat). Driver only, no load.

Going there it averaged 16.1mpg at 66.4 mph.
On return, it gave 17.4mpg at 60.5 mph avg.

Those are okay values, not great. I was expecting better tbh.
But I'm still under 1000 miles with this truck. So, it can only improve I think.

Tccracer

Reaction score
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie Cummins traveling between North Carolina and Tennessee. I love my truck. We averaged 21-22 on the way back. first picture is one shortly after I had filled up in Tennessee, the second is after we got home to North Carolina. A little over 400 miles across the mountains.
truckMileage1.jpgtruckMileage2.jpg

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
That's impressive!
Did you do the VB6 recall on your truck? And if yes, how do you compare before and after fuel consumption?
I'm on the fence about doing it but don't want them to screw up with my fuel mileage as it's pretty good too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
I think vb6 is for HO aint it? Either way i have no recalls and truck is new. I caculate by filling up when it autostops wait 10 or so seconds to let air out click it back on till auto shuts off again and stop. Zero odometer then drive as far as possible, repeat fill procedure. Divide miles driven by gallons to fill up. Its not deadon accurate but its got to be close. On a side note anyone got their range to 1000+? Mine seems limited about 982ish: topped off tank range read 982, drove 30 miles and it said 979 remaining, so just out of curiousity i pulled in station near house and put 1.7 gallons in it to FULL! Said 982 again....at time my lieomtr said average 20.1 so it should of read more than 1k. Anyone crack it?

Tsys100718

Reaction score
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie Cummins traveling between North Carolina and Tennessee. I love my truck. We averaged 21-22 on the way back. first picture is one shortly after I had filled up in Tennessee, the second is after we got home to North Carolina. A little over 400 miles across the mountains.
View attachment 6180View attachment 6181
You do know that the vehicle displays are VERY optimistic right? Did you actually run the numbers? My display shows an average MPG of 9.3, but the calculator in my fuel tracker app shows 8.4. The overwhelming majority of that was towing a rather large fifth wheel.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I think vb6 is for HO aint it? Either way i have no recalls and truck is new. I caculate by filling up when it autostops wait 10 or so seconds to let air out click it back on till auto shuts off again and stop. Zero odometer then drive as far as possible, repeat fill procedure. Divide miles driven by gallons to fill up. Its not deadon accurate but its got to be close. On a side note anyone got their range to 1000+? Mine seems limited about 982ish: topped off tank range read 982, drove 30 miles and it said 979 remaining, so just out of curiousity i pulled in station near house and put 1.7 gallons in it to FULL! Said 982 again....at time my lieomtr said average 20.1 so it should of read more than 1k. Anyone crack it?
If yours shows no recalls then it's already been done before truck's sale.

AKDoug

Reaction score
This morning I made a 200 miles run in near perfect conditions (3/4 mostly flat). Driver only, no load.

Going there it averaged 16.1mpg at 66.4 mph.
On return, it gave 17.4mpg at 60.5 mph avg.

Those are okay values, not great. I was expecting better tbh.
But I'm still under 1000 miles with this truck. So, it can only improve I think.
Mine has improved significantly as it ages. I'll roll over 30,000 miles on my '19 tomorrow and 18mpg tanks are a regular occurrence if I'm empty and staying at 65mph and below.

MikeXM

Reaction score
SPAM removed
The SO is a very capable motor.
But you'll find the general consensus is that the biggest plus of the HO is actually the Aisin transmission that comes with it.
I don't think you will find any guys that say they missed their SO over the HO. Maybe from the pre-emission times, but that is another story.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffn

Reaction score
gear ratios matter a lot. I drove 46 miles last night, empty, keeping it around 66-68mph with just a few miles of city streets added. 1,900 rpm. Average was 15.2 mpg. 3500 DRW with HO and 4.10 gears. If I am towing I expect between 10.5-12 mpg.

Yeah, a couple of MPG either way makes a huge difference. I filled up both my tanks yesterday, 80’ish gallons out of 100 total, and it cost me over $400 here in CA.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Making an MPG report. My 2022 2500 has 6.7L I6, 68RFE tranny, 3.73 rear. When I arrived home after 1,100 mile trip picking up truck, MPG display was at 19.9. After driving about 200 miles of city only, it's showing 17.7. I think that's pretty superb!

Attachments

• 17.7 MPG @ 1366 miles.JPG
    17.7 MPG @ 1366 miles.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread