Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HO vs non-HO MPG

MikeXM

Reaction score
I've seen many reviews where it looks like there is no difference in MPG for both models, either loaded or empty. But I've never seen a direct comparison either so it is hard to know for sure.

Anyone has seen such a review? Or have any info on the subject?

TIA

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I've not seen any direct comparisons either and I'm not sure how relevant (to a buyer) a comparison of that nature would be. There's gonna be myriad reasons for a buyer to select a HO equipped truck over the standard output Cummins but fuel economy is not likely to be anywhere near the top of that list. In all but extreme operation, I'll WAG that the two engines will consume very similar amounts of fuel in a hypothetical scenario where the trucks are similarly equipped and the engines are being loaded equally.

D

Deleted member 80

Historically, the HO was a tuned up version of the SO, but with the new CGI engine the HO has lower compression, etc. so there is a bigger difference. Based on my HO I would say there is now a bigger mpg difference.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I have been tracking the MPG of my 2019 3500 6.7 HO since I bought it in July. I have driven about 5,555 miles.

When not towing, I am getting about 17 MPG (combined city and highway). When towing a 12,500 lb fifth wheel RV, I am getting about 10 MPG. My overall average is around 13 MPG.

Generally speaking, I do not drive with a lead foot. I ease into the throttle, so your mileage may vary if you tend to want to sprint from red light to red light.

Here is a chart showing the MPG after each fill up.

Fuelio.jpg

jared43758

Reaction score
I have a 2019 3500 HO, 600 miles currently. First couple hundred I was 18mpg. I pulled into work this morning with 19.9. That’s total average. It keeps getting better and better. I live in rural Ohio. No city traffic. Couple small towns to drive thur and state routes with 55 mph speed limits

AKDoug

Reaction score
I have a 2019 3500 HO, 600 miles currently. First couple hundred I was 18mpg. I pulled into work this morning with 19.9. That’s total average. It keeps getting better and better. I live in rural Ohio. No city traffic. Couple small towns to drive thur and state routes with 55 mph speed limits
Must be nice :) My total average is 10.2 right now at 5000 miles. Lots of cold weather warm up, 40% of mileage towing, but plenty of rural driving. I can't average over 16 mpg empty, highway running at 65mph and less, no matter what I do.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
That's nice! Anecdotally, the sweet spot for Cummins' efficiency occurs after about 10k miles. I've got over 13k kms on the clock out here on the prairie with lots of straight, flat highway. Unloaded, no wind and @ 100 km/hr I can maintain 9 L/100 km (26 US MPG).

Savin yours

Reaction score
I guess I’m just weird, but I am not concerned about MPG’s at all. Would it be nice to get more? Heck yea! I didn’t buy this truck to save on fuel, I got it to haul/tow whatever I want to. There are so many people on here concerned about fuel milage. At this level, does it matter? I guess for someone using their truck for business, hot shot, ect.....not condemning, just my thought process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoug

Reaction score
I guess I’m just weird, but I am not concerned about MPG’s at all. Would it be nice to get more? Heck yea! I didn’t buy this truck to save on fuel, I got it to haul/tow whatever I want to. There are so many people on here concerned about fuel milage. At this level, does it matter? I guess for someone using their truck for business, hot shot, ect.....not condemning, just my thought process.

When you go from a 2006 that averaged 3mpg more than your new fancy 2019, it gets annoying. I don't like to waste things and that's why I had the money to buy this truck. I would have never bought this truck if it wasn't for business.

Dialed-In

Reaction score
Our HO dually with 4.10s 5500 miles has been averaging 17mpg rural/ city with morning warm ups according to the dash. Actual is about 14.5 mpg when calculated.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
I get about 17 hand calculated on the hwy and 10-11 towing my 40ft fifth wheel. Mine is a non ho.

Hoffmann

Reaction score
With my 19 2500 SO Ram my best tank was 19.25 mpg at about 65-70 mph, my average is 16.76 mpg, and my worst tank was 10.69 mpg at max GCWR with a load of hay ( aka towing a giant brick through the air ) my truck has 22400 miles on it ,and these numbers are based off the last 7k miles.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
That's nice! Anecdotally, the sweet spot for Cummins' efficiency occurs after about 10k miles. I've got over 13k kms on the clock out here on the prairie with lots of straight, flat highway. Unloaded, no wind and @ 100 km/hr I can maintain 9 L/100 km (26 US MPG).
If you live on the prairies, we must almost be neighbors, I'm from Alberta!
I'm curious if you did a VB6 recall on your truck and how you liked it and if it affected the fuel mileage / DPF / Aisin shifting anyhow.
I was seeing the 9L/100km number when cruising on flat highways and I'd like to keep it this way, so I'm still debating whether I want to do this recall or not.

silver billet

Reaction score

When you're talking 12 mpg, a difference of 2-3 one way or the is a massive difference. For example:
- getting 12 instead of 15 means you're paying 20% more for fuel
- getting 9 instead of 12 means you're paying 25% more for fuel

Not everybody has money to burn, and yes, it's perfectly sane and normal to want to haul the same equipment but get an extra few mpg.

Of course it matters. You people slay me.

:rolleyes::)

Tsys100718

Reaction score
I wish they would put the HO in the 2500 line vs just the 3500!

From what a dealer told me it's because 3500 and up are considered commercial vehicles. Don't know if it's true or not. However, I DO know that all I have to do is mash the fuel pedal with my HO version and it'll smoke the rear tires! Not for long, but it will spin 'em! As far as MPG goes, I'm just now finishing up my second set of fuel tank fillups, but my towing MPG average, according to my Mileage Keeper app is 8.1 across 58.67 gals. My fuel light just came on yesterday, so I'll need to fill both tanks again soon, so that MPG may change. The majority of the 1,400 miles so far have been towing a 39' toy hauler with my toy inside. And I'm one of those people who sets my cruise 5 mph over speed limit, towing or not!

Last edited:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I appreciate decent mileage but I dont follow it religiously. I take my mini common rail if I'm looking for mpg.

Tsys100718

Reaction score
I appreciate decent mileage but I dont follow it religiously. I take my mini common rail if I'm looking for mpg.

If I want good fuel mileage, I ride one of my trikes! 30 and 38 respectively. The 2002 carbureted Sportster actually gets better mileage than my fuel injected Tri-Glide!

Users who are viewing this thread