Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HO vs non-HO MPG

MEGA HO

Reaction score
He said 373's I think he's referring to final ratio and not the tires size.

Reaction score
I’m in a ‘22 DRW 3500 HO w 373s and I don’t know if I can afford to keep it. Only 1500 miles on it and I’m averaging 13.5 by the display and hand calculated I’m getting 11.5. That’s mixed driving with maybe 60 miles towing. I know these are big powerful trucks but that’s way less than my ‘17 with the same setup. I talked to my dealer thinking something is wrong and he just dismissed it as normal…. Not good with fuel at $4 per gallon!

I feel your pain!! I have two trips to California and another to Blaine, Wa from the East coast. The rise of over $1.2/gallon is killing the marine transport industry as I have to tell customers I am billing them for weekly rises in costs.

The HO I have is now fully deleted and while it made for a LOT better drivability and power... virtually nothing has changed in MPGs. My best MPGs unladen is still 5mpg LESS than my 2500 Laramie Longhorn. In hauling, I am 10-15% less fuel economy compared to my 2500. What is worth the "extra power" when the standard power does the same work just at maybe 2-3 seconds less in acceleration to cruise speeds? NOTHING!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
A business owner would be foolish to buy an HO vs. SO to simply work the truck. As a work truck.. SO all the way no question about it.

The HO is a "because I want it" option TBH.

Reaction score
A business owner would be foolish to buy an HO vs. SO to simply work the truck. As a work truck.. SO all the way no question about it.

Unfortunately I had sold my 2020 Ram laramie Longhorn to a client of mine in an unplanned sale and needed a new truck ASAP. Its my own fault I did not research the HO differences before buying the truck. Now it is going to cost $4k to swap the gears to 3.73s on both axles. AND... before the comments come in to say $4K would buy a lot of fuel... not when you are exceeding 14K per month vs having the 3.73s and saving 1.2-1.5 mpg hauling the same equipment. It'll pay off but its a hard lesson to learn.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Unfortunately I had sold my 2020 Ram laramie Longhorn to a client of mine in an unplanned sale and needed a new truck ASAP. Its my own fault I did not research the HO differences before buying the truck. Now it is going to cost $4k to swap the gears to 3.73s on both axles. AND... before the comments come in to say $4K would buy a lot of fuel... not when you are exceeding 14K per month vs having the 3.73s and saving 1.2-1.5 mpg hauling the same equipment. It'll pay off but its a hard lesson to learn.

You might look for an SO truck. Tons of 3.73 HO guys reporting negligible (if any) mpg gains over 4.10 HO trucks.

If anything.. go after some 3.55s or longer.

Wolfcreek

Reaction score
I'd expect 9-10 in that case, lol
No, stock tires. I was talking about the rear end. My ‘17 with the same setup was 14ish daily driving and 15-16 on the highway and 10-11 towing. This one is reading 7 towing anything and 11-12 empty. 3 mpg is 20-30% reduction in mpg. Pretty significant.

Wolfcreek

Reaction score
You might want to look into a Gear Venders overdrive. May be way more cost effective to do what you want to do…

gimmie11s

Reaction score
No, stock tires. I was talking about the rear end. My ‘17 with the same setup was 14ish daily driving and 15-16 on the highway and 10-11 towing. This one is reading 7 towing anything and 11-12 empty. 3 mpg is 20-30% reduction in mpg. Pretty significant.

Ah, yes. Was the 17 DRW also?

7 towing on your new truck seems low. How heavy is your load? My 2021 DRW HO towing our 14k 5er does about 9..sometimes high 8s if im doing 75mph or higher.

On the highway unloaded mine will get about 17. The stop and go city stuff really hurts these big DRW trucks.

You might want to look into a Gear Venders overdrive. May be way more cost effective to do what you want to do…

Good advice here.

Nd79

Reaction score

Operating costs is exactly why I went with the SO in my business truck. But, the way I use the truck is really hard on the drive train and brakes etc... So as long as the 68rfe holds up I'll be happy.

Wolfcreek

Reaction score
Ah, yes. Was the 17 DRW also?

7 towing on your new truck seems low. How heavy is your load? My 2021 DRW HO towing our 14k 5er does about 9..sometimes high 8s if im doing 75mph or higher.

On the highway unloaded mine will get about 17. The stop and go city stuff really hurts these big DRW trucks.

Good advice here.
I’ve only towed my 24ft gooseneck stock trailer with a couple of cows and my father in law’s BBQ trailer which probably weighs 10k but is like a sail behind the truck. Then empty I watched the display go from 15.8 to 13.8 on the average for a tank when the truck went into regen. Hand calculated that tank at 11.54.

My ‘17 was a DRW HO with the same rear end. I am not under the delusion that this truck should be getting 20 mpg or anything, but if I wanted to get 11 empty I woulda bought a gasser!!! LOL.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
My girl might be loosening up. I figured id run a quick test of work round trip-- my house, to work, and back home. I ran a similar test when I first bought the truck and it was showing 17.2 mpg on the dash.

This trip is 38 miles of highway and 7.6 city. There are a few rolling hills, but the highway piece is mostly flat. Cruise control set on 71 mph on the way into work, but stop and go on the way home due to traffic (this hurts mpg). Here it is from yesterday.

Truck is DRW, HO/Aisin, 4.10's. 39 psi in the rear tires and 68 in the fronts.

GPurcell01

Reaction score

Sending you a PM. I will take those 4.10's when they come out.

jebruns

Reaction score
My girl might be loosening up. I figured id run a quick test of work round trip-- my house, to work, and back home. I ran a similar test when I first bought the truck and it was showing 17.2 mpg on the dash.

This trip is 38 miles of highway and 7.6 city. There are a few rolling hills, but the highway piece is mostly flat. Cruise control set on 71 mph on the way into work, but stop and go on the way home due to traffic (this hurts mpg). Here it is from yesterday.

Truck is DRW, HO/Aisin, 4.10's. 39 psi in the rear tires and 68 in the fronts.
Did you hand calculate it, or just taking the EVIC reading as being accurate?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
That pic above is of the display on the truck's dash.

Whenever I hand calc it's always half a mpg or so worse than the display.

GBB

Reaction score
I’m on a 2500 mile trip and the best I’ve seen is 16 driving between 60 and 65 mostly hiway. 3.73’s

jebruns

Reaction score
That pic above is of the display on the truck's dash.

Whenever I hand calc it's always half a mpg or so worse than the display.
Might want to check it again when it has a higher number like that. I've found that the higher the EVIC numbers, the bigger the delta. My 2500 SO Cummins has shown as high as 23.5mpg, but hand calculated showed 21.5. That was pure 75-80mph interstate driving.

MikeXM

Reaction score

Please please please report on actual savings you get with the 3.73.
I have the 3.73 and when I compare my mpg to others with 4.10 I don't see any difference.
But it could be just my truck who's a fuel guzzler and nulling the mpg theorical gains.

So I'm very curious about the results you get with the same engine with different gearings. That will be very interesting to see.

thecastle

Reaction score
I have a 2019 3500 HO 4x4 mega with sb, 3.73 FD.

Empty, with a mix of highway / in town, I've been averaging 16.2 mpg if the computer is to be believed, this is trying to be efficient, using 48 cetane fuel. Just got back from a 630 miles tow, Computer says 10.0 mpg towing a 6000lbs travel trailer. I got better leaving Houston (10.2) then coming back after refueling with 40cetane diesel 10.0 is what it dropped to coming back. Driving mostly around the speed limit the whole way 55-75 depending on highway, with some interstate. For perspective my gasoline powered 2011 BMW X5M that was my previous tow vehicle averaged 8.5 mpg (8.3-10mpg) on 93 octane towing exactly the same trailer. this is what I'd expect switching to diesel about 18-20% better economy.

BTW on flat interstate with the cruise on, traveling at 55mph, with it empty and not towing I might see the truck fluctuate between an indicated 22-24mpg.

Last edited:

GBB

Reaction score
Just arrived home…Dually with 3.73’s mostly hiway at 65 mph and 1000 # in the bed1F628646-62C7-455E-8D0A-D5CCBCD90DCB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread